Buzzing or whirring-like sound while L2 charging LEAF 2018

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sch1wend2

Hi All,

I have my nissan LEAF 2018 for 3 weeks now and it starts to create a whirring or buzzing sound during L2 charging using my 240V outlet. The sound is coming from near the charge port. Any ideas on the potential cause? I use the provided EVSE charger made by Panasonic.

I also charged using ChargePoint L2 on public areas with no buzzing sound and same on chademo stations.

Thanks!

I got my 2018 Leaf in September, but I haven't had that problem from using public EVSEs or the one Nissan provided.

Whirring sound?
Open the hood and see if it is due to the auto cooling fans spinning. The manual indicates that these fans may come on at anytime; this is similar to the radiator fans on ICE cars.

My 2018 SL makes a fan sound soon after the 32A L2 charging commences in the garage. I will try & listen for it at a public charger & I'm assuming git's also making the sound except that the louder ambient noise makes it much harder to hear compared to a quiet garage.

I just checked and noticed the buzzing/whirring sound in my car during L2 charging in the garage. I opened the hood and saw that the cooling fans were not spinning, but it was hot under the hood. I expect this heat from high current flow. The sound is similar to that from a computer's internal cooling fans. The sound seems to be coming from the bottom of the car, where the charger is located. I'm not sure if the noise is due to the charger's electromagnetics or internal cooling system?

I always thought that the charger was only liquid-cooled, which means that the cooling fans should be running too. Or maybe the cooling system is only circulating the liquid for now, and kicks ON the fans when required?

Hi, I have a 2018 and I have heard similar noises while charging. Per page EV-10 or the 2018 owner's manual, it appears these noises are normal:

NOISE AND VIBRATION
You might experience the following noise or vibration as a normal characteristic of this vehicle:
• Traction motor noise from the motor compartment.
Water pump and radiator fan noise while charging.
• Compressor and radiator fan noise when the Climate Ctrl. Timer or remote climate control (models with Navigation System) is used.
• Relay operation noise and vibration at start-up and shut-down of the EV system (power switch placed in the ON and OFF position).
• Approaching Vehicle Sound for Pedestri- ans (VSP).

Can you post a video of it? You can upload it relatively easily to places like YouTube.

There will be some noise, but it shouldn't be loud.

The coolant circulating pump(s) will run when charging, assuming the 2018 is similar to my cars. The fans will only turn on if the radiator gets hot enough (not likely in moderate climates). The pumps and fans will not run when using DCQC because the onboard charger is not generating heat.

GerryAZ said:
The coolant circulating pump(s) will run when charging, assuming the 2018 is similar to my cars. The fans will only turn on if the radiator gets hot enough (not likely in moderate climates).
I figured as much. Thanks for confirming.

I have a pretty loud buzzing that was happening for about 5 minutes after plugging into my L2 at home, but then it stopped. Wasn’t a fan. Almost sounded like an electrical buzzing that you’d hear on a big transformer or something. I took a video which has the sound in it, but not sure how to post here.

sch1wend2 said:
Hi All,

I have my nissan LEAF 2018 for 3 weeks now and it starts to create a whirring or buzzing sound during L2 charging using my 240V outlet. The sound is coming from near the charge port. Any ideas on the potential cause? I use the provided EVSE charger made by Panasonic.

I also charged using ChargePoint L2 on public areas with no buzzing sound and same on chademo stations.

Thanks!

Coolant pump likely which does NOT run on chademo since its a near straight dump to the battery. In public areas, you will find that sounds of silence abundant in your garage to be in woefully short supply making small sounds all but undetectable.

Back