Charge timer query

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt86

I have recently purchased a 2011 Leaf - The car was a Japanese import (ie console is all in Japanese) so it's taking a while to figure things out. I've set my charge timer to 80% for my weekly commute (Mon to Fri)... If I press the charge timer over ride button during this period, will the battery charge to 80% or 100%?

I am guessing that you were able to figure out an answer to your question by testing the override button?

I am not sure about the older models, but on the newer Leafs, the charge timer over ride button cancels the timer, so that you can immediately start charging; it gives you 15 minutes to plug in the connector, otherwise, the timer system resets.

If you are already charging within the timer schedule, then I do not expect that pressing the over ride button will do anything.

I think I have read here on MNL that there is a trick: you can set the timer to start and end at the exact same minute (doesn't matter which time, so long as it's the same time for Start and End). And also configure the charge limiter to 80%. Then, if you plug the car in, it will charge to 80% immediately. But if you hit the Timer Override button, then it will charge to 100% instead of 80%.

...or something like that.

specialgreen said:
I think I have read here on MNL that there is a trick: you can set the timer to start and end at the exact same minute (doesn't matter which time, so long as it's the same time for Start and End). And also configure the charge limiter to 80%. Then, if you plug the car in, it will charge to 80% immediately. But if you hit the Timer Override button, then it will charge to 100% instead of 80%.

...or something like that.

On the US Model 2013 Leaf SV and SL, you can specify 80% or 100% charge when you set the timer. I have mine set to start at 2:10am and charge to 80% every morning. I have the end time set to 6:30pm so that it will automatically start charging if I get low during the day and plug it in. When I need more than 80%, I just hit the charging start from the EV Connect app, or hit the timer override button in the car, and it starts a charging cycle to take it up to 100%.

Matt86 said:
I have recently purchased a 2011 Leaf - The car was a Japanese import (ie console is all in Japanese) so it's taking a while to figure things out. I've set my charge timer to 80% for my weekly commute (Mon to Fri)... If I press the charge timer over ride button during this period, will the battery charge to 80% or 100%?

On my 2012, I keep the timers set for 80%. If I push the override button, it begins to charge immediately, and charges to 100%. I believe in this regard, the 2011 and the 2012 are identical.

Hope that helps.

On my 2012, 13 I did not use the timers. The car charged to 80%. If I pushed the over-ride button it charged to 100%. Since Anaheim has no tiers I never used the timer.

Back