Newbie Here!! Looking at Buying a 2015

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perseycat

Hey so I’m new to this forum and joined because I want to purchase a used Nissan Leaf. Trying to get all the info I can on which year to buy and what the expected miles per charge would be. Thinking about a 2015. Anyone own this year? Can you tell me what type of range you get per charge? Also I live in Portland and might decide to venture to the beach every now and again...maybe there’s someone who lives in Portland and has experience with this? :D

The 2015 Leaf has the best battery made by Nissan. You need LeafSpy and a compatible ODBII diagnostic port reader to determine actual battery capacity, but a car showing a full 12 capacity "bars" (the little ones next to the charge level bars) and that hasn't been tampered with to hide capacity loss, should be able to go at least 60 miles on the highway at 60MPH, more at lower speeds in mild weather. That number depends on many factors, especially speed and if the climate control is off, providing A/C, or providing heat. It also depends on whether the car is an S, with its power-sucking heater, or an SV/SL with a better heat pump-assisted system.

I strongly recommend an SV or SL for your climate because the heat pump system is much more efficient than the resistance heater only in the S. The resistance heater is only activated in an SV or SL when temperatures get colder than you typically have in Portland while the S must use it for all heating and defrosting (since that is all it has).

Many factors influence the usable range of the same car. Battery condition; tires (type, size, and inflation pressure); weather and road conditions; climate control use (minimal impact for A/C use or heat with heat pump, but significant impact with resistance heater use); and vehicle speed are the main factors to consider. To give you an idea how much difference tires can make, I lost at least 15% of range when I replaced the original tires with sport performance tires (the improved wet/dry traction and handling are worth it to me). My 2015 SL still has about 50 to 60 miles of range with mostly highway driving (lower end at 75 mi/hr, higher end at more moderate speeds) and normal climate control use after 38 months and 59,500 miles in Phoenix with 10 capacity bars (2 lost) and sport performance tires. I can still get over 70 miles in city driving in moderate temperatures with climate control use. You should have that much range for a long time in the Pacific Northwest if you get a car from that area that has little battery deterioration (12 capacity bars showing). I recommend that you get a car that has the quick charge port in case you want to take longer trips.

The resistance heater is only activated in an SV or SL when temperatures get colder than you typically have in Portland...

Not exactly, as the resistance heater actually runs regularly in the SV and SL for faster heating, but it doesn't remain at full power, and sometimes shuts down completely.

Definitely get the charge package too, as Portland and the Coast area both have excellent DC quick charging infrastructure.

Here are a few listing to get you started:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/2015/Nissan/Leaf/Portland+OR-97207?zip=97207&startYear=2015&numRecords=25&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&firstRecord=0&endYear=2015&modelCodeList=LEAF&makeCodeList=NISSAN&searchRadius=100&trimCodeList=LEAF%7CSL%2CLEAF%7CSV

In your area, I would check with the Platt Auto Group in Milwaukie, Or. They specialize in EV's and seem to have a nice supply of Leaf's. I have heard they will give you the LeafSpy readout on any car in their inventory, too.
They're website seems to be going through some updates, but here's their current list of SV models: http://162.243.132.34/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Inventory-SV.pdf

Back