Any recommendations for trusted dealerships in the Montreal area? And general advice.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tincans

Hi All!

I'm in the market for a used Leaf in the 13.5-14k CAD range, with Quick charge and ideally 12 bars. It seems second-hand Leafs are becoming more popular here in Montreal but I'm skeptical as to how much knowledge the dealers have in regards to them. No one can really speak factually about battery percentages as I assume it's not yet common for them to test capacity with the LeafSpy app. Researching on the web every night for the past week is enough to make my head explode with info... Hard to process it all and to figure out what a good purchase is with what I'm finding on dealership sites. I live in the suburbs and need my charge to last me a good 50-60 miles minimum for the driving I do into the city and back. Yes there are charging stations around but I don't want to rely on them. So anyone with info as to a trustworthy and knowledgeable dealer for Leafs would be greatly appreciated. I recently found a 2012 Leaf SV with 41k for 12k CAD. It only has 10 bars left though so I'm not even sure it's worth a visit... Regardless, does that seem like a fair price?

Thank you for any info you can offer!

Jason.

Only look at Leafs manufactured April 2013 and later - the build date is on the door sticker. Earlier Leafs, unless they already have a new battery pack, will degrade too fast. Cars that look like a bargain will seem less so when you factor in $6000 US for a new battery. Don't trust anything a car salesperson says about a Leaf or its warranty - read all of the paperwork on the car. Use a VIN search site to see where a used Leaf used to reside: a LOT are shipped from battery-destroying hot climates to cooler ones for resale. Some of those even have the battery management software tampered with to display 12 bars when actual capacity is lower.

This little trick let's you see the original sales sticker for most older LEAFs:

http://cpo.nissanusa.com/nna/?vin_number_here

Handy for confirming features that were ordered with the car, as well as the original dealer and location where the car was first sold.

Hi alozzy,

Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately I couldn't get it to work for me on the two browsers I have on my computer... The VIN is JN1AZ0CP0CT015297 in case you can get it to work. I'd love to get more info on the vehicle if possible! Many thanks.

@tincans Unfortunately, this is one of the VINs for which it does not work. Not sure why, but I suspect the original dealer didn't register the vehicle in the system - just a guess though. You'll find it will work for some VINs but not others...

alozzy said:
This little trick let's you see the original sales sticker for most older LEAFs:

http://cpo.nissanusa.com/nna/?vin_number_here

Handy for confirming features that were ordered with the car, as well as the original dealer and location where the car was first sold.
That cpo.nissanusa.com URL works for newer LEAFs (all the 2015+ LEAFs that I've tried) but not for older LEAFs. JN1AZ0CP0CT015297 is a 2012 (per vehiclehistory.com), and I've never gotten cpo.nissanusa.com to work on a 2012. ISTR it works on 2014s. I don't recall offhand whether it supports 2013 LEAFs.

Back