Newbie with first Leafspy data

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imperialman67

Greetings everyone.
I am the proud owner of a used 2015 Leaf S.
I did research Nissan Leafs quite a bit and decided that a used Leaf would fit my driving criteria very well.
My Leaf is used mostly for weekend running around town and also for the daily 26 mile round trip work commute .

Despite my research ,and good intentions though I am guilty of doing completely backwards.
As in purchasing my Leaf THEN two months later purchasing Leafspy. :roll:

So here is some of what Leafspys first reading told me:

Bat Sts: AHr=54.83 SOH=88.30% 364.09V
Hx=80.52%
odo=15,742mi 39 QCs @ 464 L1/L2 charges

Does any of this seem abnormal for a 2015 Leaf?
Or should I be looking at something entirely diffrent on Leafspy(pro)?

Thanks!

Soooo...77 looks at my question and no one replied. :(

Am I posting my leafspy data in the wrong forum?
Or is it insufficient information to determine the health of my 2015 leafs battery?

I don't know why no one has replied, but there isn't much to say since the results speak for themselves. You're at 88% SOH, so about 3% from dropping your first bar. Not the best results for a car with such low mileage, was it in a hotter climate before you got it?
Should you panic? No, just drive it and charge when you need to. Try not to obsess about it, although that might be easier said than done around this forum!

No problem, and welcome to the forum.
Hopefully your Leaf works as well for you as mine does for me. I'm down to 83% SOH, but with a 16 mile round trip commute, it works for me!

I have a 15 SV in the Atlanta suburbs, and I charge it to 100% at least 6 times a week every morning. My SOH is 87+ and I have 41,200 miles on it. If you start stressing about the battery this early you may miss the joys of driving it.

I am in a similar situation and would appreciate some guidance.
I did purchase my 2016 SV 30kWh about a month ago from a dealer in the Dallas area. Door sticker has manufacturer date of 02/2016 so it is almost 2 years old.
~700 miles on the odometer(<300 from the dealer)
Showing all 12 bars on the dash display as expected
However I have had a delta of 140 mV or greater the last few times I have checked LeafSpy, at LBW it will show 2 weak cells.
Also the following values are troubling for a car with 12 bars and <1k miles
AHr = 60.48 SOH=76.09% Hx=75.01%
All DTC's ok
The battery most often lives between 20% and 85%, I charge at public charges so sometimes get over 80% but it has been cold so I did not think this would be an issue
I have only driven it to LBW twice, both times were to warm the pack before charging.
I am getting better at EV driving, gave up on EcoMode but in a few weeks I've increased my average efficiency from 3.6 mpkWh to 4.1mpkWh.
Have I done something to kill this battery in a months time or is it possible it sat highly charged in the Dallas climate for too many months?
Is this concerning should something be done now or should I enjoy the car and warranty the battery when the time comes. Can a service center replace individual cells or only the entire pack? Also why the discrepancy from the data pulled from the BMS by LeafSpy and the Dash Display. Is the cold really that bad on these 30kWh packs?

Here are some screenshots from LeafSpy

IR94agh.jpg

IT164yB.jpg

k8RauSM.jpg

Here is picture of the dash display from earlier today

JC9as9L.jpg

Edit: Corrected Units

OckleyEV said:
I am in a similar situation and would appreciate some guidance.
I did purchase my 2016 SV 30kW about a month ago from a dealer in the Dallas area. Door sticker has manufacturer date of 02/2016 so it is almost 2 years old.
~700 miles on the odometer(<300 from the dealer)
Showing all 12 bars on the dash display as expected
However I have had a delta of 140 mV or greater the last few times I have checked LeafSpy, at LBW it will show 2 weak cells.
Also the following values are troubling for a car with 12 bars and <1k miles
AHr = 60.48 SOH=76.09% Hx=75.01%
First off, battery capacity is measured in kWh, not "kW".

That's is very odd that you're still showing 12 capacity bars despite being down that low in SOH. I'd expect you to be down at least 2 bars by now. Perhaps you'll start seeing the capacity bars vanish over the next few months? I suspect the car hadn't moved much between manufacture time and when you bought it. If so, maybe that's why the bars haven't dropped yet?

A delta of 140 mV between the highest and lowest at that high a state of charge is unusual. You almost certainly have a bad cell. Google for site:mynissanleaf.com cvli. You can probably get the dealer to replace that bad cell. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=21700 did but eventually, his whole pack got replaced because he lost the 4th capacity bar.

Can you update your location info via your user name in the upper right > User Control Panel > Profile tab? That way, we don't need to ask in future posts/threads or do sleuthing to deduce it. (I can only guess you live somewhere in TX.)

Thank you. Sorry if that made it painful to read.
I corrected the units. I am not fluent in many things tech or electronic. I also find some way to embarrass myself each time I post online. So with all those factors working together it is no surprise I listed the wrong units. I am in Shreveport and updated my profile to reflect this. Thank you for bringing these things to my attention. I will contact a service center about having the bad cell(s) replaced.

OckleyEV said:
I am in Shreveport and updated my profile to reflect this.
Yay!
OckleyEV said:
Thank you for bringing these things to my attention. I will contact a service center about having the bad cell(s) replaced.
It may not be that easy. The earlier driver had trouble getting the bad cell replaced: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=457964#p457964. Unless it's impairing your usage, maybe don't worry about it if your dealer gives you the runaround the 1st time. As I said, 140 mV imbalance at higher states of charge is very unusual. When the battery isn't low, I wouldn't expect to see any more than say 12 to 30 mV imbalance when only an idle load (car in in Park in READY mode (green car w/arrows) w/no AC and no heater on).

If it's like the other 30 kWh cars that have baked in hot climates, I think you're well on your way to being down 4 capacity bars WELL before the 8 year/100K capacity warranty is up, possibly earning you multiple replacements.

cwerdna said:
It may not be that easy.
Nothing ever is right! :cry:
cwerdna said:
Unless it's impairing your usage, maybe don't worry about it if your dealer gives you the runaround the 1st time.
That is a very valid point, my daily commute is ~20 miles of surface streets roundtrip so unless that changes I can certainly wait. No use in wasting my time. I would not have known anything is wrong with the car had I not plugged in and checked LeafSpy.
cwerdna said:
If it's like the other 30 kWh cars that have baked in hot climates, I think you're well on your way to being down 4 capacity bars WELL before the 8 year/100K capacity warranty is up, possibly earning you multiple replacements.
This is very true at this rate it may be by the end of the summer at this rate. Only time will tell though.

Thank you for all the help, first time on the forum.

cwerdna said:
When the battery isn't low, I wouldn't expect to see any more than say 12 to 30 mV imbalance when only an idle load (car in in Park in READY mode (green car w/arrows) w/no AC and no heater on)..

Is there a wiki with this kind of wisdom? I haven't seen anything like this in the LeafSpy help screens.

specialgreen said:
cwerdna said:
When the battery isn't low, I wouldn't expect to see any more than say 12 to 30 mV imbalance when only an idle load (car in in Park in READY mode (green car w/arrows) w/no AC and no heater on)..

Is there a wiki with this kind of wisdom? I haven't seen anything like this in the LeafSpy help screens.
About the imbalance amounts, not off the top my head.

I just listed those two values off the top of my head based upon casual observation while my car's stationary in READY mode at all different states of charge. I think I've seen bigger deltas between the highest and lowest cell when under load (e.g. accelerating) but I really don't look at this stuff while driving. Older versions of Leaf Spy (which I had the longest) didn't list the mV value in large numbers either.

I do know I've never personally seen an imbalance as high as 140 mV. Turbo3 verbally has mentioned to me that when you're really low on charge, the delta goes into the hundreds of milliVolts. He uses that to determine how close he is to dead (well, car cutting him off). He has an (IIRC) '11 Leaf w/a fairly degraded battery.

I guess I need to check the next time I run real low (somewhere below VLBW), which isn't that often.

warrenc said:
Should you panic? No, just drive it and charge when you need to. Try not to obsess about it, although that might be easier said than done around this forum!

Thank you for the advice ,but of course I am now totally obsessing about losing the first bar on my leaf :(
To the point of now considering trading the Leaf in before the first bar dissapears :shock:

Back