Trickle charge ok for 2013 SV?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mengovitz

Hi, my name is Jason and me and my wife just bought our first LEAF (an SV) here in Los Angeles. We are excited to use it but we don’t have a home charger installed yet. I have been trickle charging it using a wall outlet and extension cords, but my wife says this will damage the battery. Is that true, and if it is, why do they let people do it, IE why is the car able to be trickle charged?

Thanks in advance for any and all tips or insights!

Jason (& Stacy)

mengovitz said:
I have been trickle charging it using a wall outlet and extension cords, but my wife says this will damage the battery.
The bolded part is nonsense. However, extension cords aren't recommended as they could overheat and even cause a fire.

There is also increased chance of fire danger vs. getting a level 2 EVSE installed by a licensed electrician, who presumably knows what they're doing. You risk electrical fires, depending on the outlet and state/condition of the electrical system at your house.

Examples:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=10887
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=15784

Also, hope you don't have a Zinsco or Federal Pacific panel.

Remember that you're drawing 12 amps * 120 volts = 1,440 watts (about that of a space heater or hair dryer on high) continually for many hours at a time, unattended. If you're charging indoors or the outlet's indoors, at least put a smoke detector near it.

You can also check for early warning signs. Fires almost always start at the electrical plug, but can also start at any of the plug connections on the extension cord (or worse, cords). Make sure that every single plug fits together tightly, that none of the connections gets more than slightly warm, and that there is no danger of someone stepping on a cord and pulling the plug partway out from any of the connections. Also make sure that you are using a 12 gauge cord, and if you are using more than one, replace it with a single, outdoor-rated, heavy duty 12 or 10 gauge cord.

LeftieBiker said:
You can also check for early warning signs. Fires almost always start at the electrical plug, but can also start at any of the plug connections on the extension cord (or worse, cords). Make sure that every single plug fits together tightly, that none of the connections gets more than slightly warm, and that there is no danger of someone stepping on a cord and pulling the plug partway out from any of the connections. Also make sure that you are using a 12 gauge cord, and if you are using more than one, replace it with a single, outdoor-rated, heavy duty 12 or 10 gauge cord.

Also, do NOT tightly coil any excess extension cord while in use. This prevents heat from dissipating and is dangerous when the cord is carrying a heavy power load. Loosely distribute any excess. Better, use a heavy-gauge cord that is just long enough. Best is no extension cord at all as it defeats the safety design of the EVSE.

13a-socket-limit--extension.jpg

Back