What EVSE Level II Charger Should I Keep?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmcjetpilot

I just got a LEAF and knew I wanted/needed a LEVEL 2 cable. I ended up buying two. I'm going to sell one, which one should I keep?

Dostar Duosida (16 AMP) (Paid $199 New)
Clipper Creek LCS-25 EV (20 AMP) {Paid $364 Used Good Condition}

I have used both, and they both of course work great. The difference in 16 and 20 Amps is nil.

The sales literature for Clipper Creek talks of UL listing and so on. The Dostar Duosida seems well made, although not sure where it is supported, no manual came with it. In my research a few user reviews said the Dostar/Duosida died after a year. The Dostar/Duosita seems to have a battery quality cable. The Dostar/Duosida is slightly more portable I suppose.

I keep the LEVEL 1 in the car and don't see a need to have a spare LEVEL 2 to haul around.

Selling should be easy, can get my money out of either, both in like new condition, hardly used. Please no comments they suck and I should get rid of both, get a 30-32 amp charger. I don't need or want it. These two chargers fit my needs, price range and my 220V outlet. The advantage of the Dostar Duosida is it's $164 less. However I want something that will last the life of the car. The Clipper Creek is supported (for now) and has more testing and approvals (UL).

Clipper Creeks are well built, and have a 3 year warranty, which they might honor even on a used one. (They repaired my refurbished one, bought on Ebay from a third party refurbisher, for free. They even paid the shipping.)

LeftieBiker said:
Clipper Creeks are well built, and have a 3 year warranty, which they might honor even on a used one. (They repaired my refurbished one, bought on Ebay from a third party refurbisher, for free. They even paid the shipping.)

+1 comparing the two? clipper creek...

I know the Clipper Creek unit fully meets the J1772 spec and it includes GFCI protection. Most Chinese units work fine but most (all) lack GFCI protection.

Given that both are paid for I would keep the Clipper Creek unit.

The car's charger sets the current not the EVSE. If you have a basic S or a 2011,2012 car then it charges at 16A no matter what the EVSE says. On an enhanced Leaf the Clipper Creek will be slightly faster at 20A vs the whole 27.5A the car could take. It will respect the pilot and either charge at 16A or 20A.

Thanks Glenn D and all replies.... Yep it is a SV, 2015 LEAF with all the bells and whistles, including 6.6Kw charger. I would say the difference between 16A and 20A is a non issue, but understand the onboard charger will set the charge rate. Well the China duo is going on eBay tomorrow. :D

Back