Wire gauges

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeterR

Hi everyone this is my first post - new to this forum.
Just got a used 2012 Leaf SL (US vehicle bought in Montreal, Canada) with a 400V charging port.
Can anyone confirm the wire guage of the positive and negative wires from the vehicles' plug in
port behind the front hatch cover - the protected visible wires - my left wire is orange covered and the right
side is a pink covered wire.
I would really appreciate to know if they are # 4, 2 or 0 awg gauge wires that go directly to the drive battery.
Can anyone help?

Thanks
PeterR

If you are asking because you think you can connect to them for direct connection to battery, you will be disappointed. The main DC contactor must be closed to get power from the port or charge the battery through the port. This requires appropriate CAN bus communication. Since car wiring is typically smaller than power distribution wiring, I would guess the wire are approximately equal to No. 4 or No. 2 AWG (based upon maximum DCQC charging current).

PeterR said:
I would really appreciate to know if they are # 4, 2 or 0 awg gauge wires that go directly to the drive battery.
And FWIW, the wires from the EVSE plug at the front of the car do not go directly to the battery pack. They go to the charger which is internal to the vehicle for L1 and L2 charging.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Would it be possible to speak directly with GerryAZ on the phone? If so, my email address is:

[email protected]

Would you send me an email with a phone number and convenient time to call you. I would have a few questions to ask you.
It would be most appreciated.

I'm not sure of the protocols on this forum - if I'm out of line with my request, I apologize - please let me know.

Thank you
PeterR

Thanks Gerry. I tried replying to you via PM but not able to send.
Two hour difference between eastern standard (my time) and yours.
I will phone you tonight at 7:00 PM your time.
My cell number is 514-946-2114 (Montreal, Canada)
Talk to you later - if OK. If not, let me know when would be OK to call you.
Important for my project.

Thanks again
PeterR

A 2012 can only charge L2 at 16A @240v. That said #12 wire is more than adequate, 16A is 80% of 20A. The included EVSE is L1 120V only. It will charge the car at 12A @ 120V. Plugging it into 240V will burn it up.

The L3 port is not for home use. It requires a special EVSE with the proper protocol. It also costs a lot but if you need it to get somewhere it is worth it.

To GerryAZ - thanks a million for your help and suggestions. I'll keep you posted on my project. And yes I will be careful

PeterR said:
To Nubo. Not so much a secret - just doing an experiment on the Leaf.

If you are unsure of the wire gauge and how to determine that on your own then I hope you are not attempting to tap into or use those wires. :(

PeterR said:
To Nubo. Not so much a secret - just doing an experiment on the Leaf.

The thing is,it's kind of a waste of time for readers who aren't part of your private conversation. With all due respect, do this via pm and discontinue this public thread if you're not going to let anyone else in on details. We don't need to keep reading vague references to conversations we're not privy to. Regards.

Back