Checklist for buying a used Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rubicon

I'm shopping for a used Leaf and was wondering if someone has created a checklist or set of questions to ask so you can determine what Leaf is the best deal and also identify the ones with issues. I'll keep researching all this battery stuff but it seems like it is all pretty straight forward.

Thanks in advance

p.s. drove one last night and it was pretty cool!

I haven't started actively calling on cars yet, but I've been researching and am planning on starting to actively look early next month. I can tell you what I've learned from my research so far, but obviously, take it with a grain of salt because I haven't actually purchased one yet. Here are some of my raw notes (I started with zero knowledge so some of this may be a bit basic for most):

- Most public charging stations are level 2 and the 2013+ SV and SL models will charge almost twice as fast as 2011/2012 models or 2013 S models.

- If you get a Leaf with a quick charge port (CHADEMO), then you'll be able to charge even quicker (0 to 80% in about 1/2 an hour) using level 3 charging stations.

- 2013+ SV and SL models have a heat pump so they are more efficient (use less battery) during winter in most regions.

- "Biggest consideration is definitely the health of the battery. So, either shop at dealerships who will provide a Leafspy report or make a small investment and buy a OBD2 BT enabled dongle. Then, post back here with the SOH, Hx, and AHr values before you buy."

- Check the number of capacity bars displayed on the dash. They are the short bars to the right/outside of the longer State-of-charge bars. You can request that the seller send you a picture of the dash with the car on. For a 4-6 year-old car, one or two lost bars is normal. -

-There is a warranty against losing 4 bars within 5 years / 60k miles. At that point, Nissan would replace the battery with a new one.

- Charging options are defined by L1, L2, and L3
L1 - 120v, Nissan provides a EVSE (Electric Vehicle Service Equipment) cable that you plug into a dedicated 120 volt circuit (dedicated means a circuit that has no other load on it. Generally you can get roughly 4 miles of charge per hour. Not a good option unless you have a lot of time on your hands.
L2 - 240v, what most public charging stations provide.
2011's and 12's only had 3.8 KW chargers capable of receiving no more than 16 amps at 240 volts. 2013+ that had the charge package (generally identified with 2 charge ports instead of one) "generally" came with a 6.6 KW charger capable of up to 27 amps.
The slower charger would give 12-14 miles of range in good driving conditions. The faster 6.6 KW charger up to 25 miles of range but beware several public chargers will not provide this much power. Blinks are common for this with many turned down to prevent overheating. Most however will give 5.8 KW or higher. For general purposes, 20 miles per hour of charging is a good guideline.
L3 - DC based charging, 80% in 30 minutes

- Check build date, on inside plate on driver's door, look for May 2013 or newer.

- They will replace pack if your capacity gauge drops to 8 capacity bars in less than 60,000 miles or 5 years from the original in service date, sometimes if the price is right and the car has suffered a lot of degradation and still has a ways to go to hit 60,000 miles and its 5 year in service date, you might be better off to get the car, put up with the now pathetic range and work towards losing that 9th capacity bar.

- A new battery's AHr is 66, 1 bar is lost around 50, 2 bars lost around 46, 3 lost around 42, etc. One of the hallmarks of a Battery Management System reset (also known as BMS reset, i.e. tampering with the number of bars) is a low AHr reading on Leafspy (like 40-45) but 12 capacity bars on the dash display.

- SOH (State of Health) is on a percentage scale from 1 to 100% of original battery capacity.

- Battery warranty
For 2013 = 5 years or 60k miles.
Nissan will replace the battery during this period if the capacity drops below 9 bars, or loses more than 30% capacity.
Standard original warranty for defects and flaws covers for 8 years and 100k miles

One more thing. I purchased a Leviton 240v 40A EVSE that I'm installing next week so I'll be ready when I purchase. Don't forget to include an EVSE as part of your overall purchase expectation.

^^^ sounds pretty good to me :)
Well except I believe Leafs from 4/'13 and on are supposed to have the better battery chemistry(you said May).
Otherwise it looks like you've done your homework and sounds like a good primer :)
Lots of people seem to like the "miles gained" when comparing the various charging methods, I personally like to think in SOC%. With a 24kw Leaf battery, expect a percent change similar to your charge amps using L2. That is, charging at 16a expect ~ 16%/hr gain in your charge, at 20a L2 expect ~ 20%/hr and finally at 27.5a max, you'll get close to 30% gain/hr. Oh and those gains are between a low SOC and maybe up to 90??%, much above 90, percent gained/hr will be lower because the BMS restricts the charge rate.
Oh and it's not just '13 S models which come with the lower 3.8kw charger, all the S models are like that and all have the option of the "charger package" which gives you 6.6kw charger and a QC port. Oh and the SV models(post '12) all have the 6.6kw charger but need to have a QC option to have the QC port.

- Check build date, on inside plate on driver's door, look for May 2013 or newer.

Yes, it's April 2013, not May, that marks the beginning of the better battery chemistry. I drive a 2013 made in April, with 12 bars after four years. If you see two or more bars missing, it's just about guaranteed to be an early build 2013, to be avoided unless it's lost 3 or 4 bars and may qualify for a free replacement.

My recommendation for a used LEAF is to look for a 2014 or later car.

2011-2012 cars were "get to market designs" and have issues with the HVAC design, and battery cell degradation, premature wear on the CV joints, leaking transfer case issues, and a soft suspension and sloppy steering feel.
2013 cars were the first year manufactured in the US, and early 2013 cars had battery issues as well. 2013 cars also had fit and finish issues as the production line was being sorted out in Tennessee.

2014 and later cars had the fit and finish issues pretty well sorted out, they use the more efficient heat-pump based HVAC system, have a firmer suspension and steering, incorporated better regen settings and included improved battery chemistry.

A new battery's AHr is 66, 1 bar is lost around 50, 2 bars lost around 46, 3 lost around 42, etc. One of the hallmarks of a Battery Management System reset (also known as BMS reset, i.e. tampering with the number of bars) is a low AHr reading on Leafspy (like 40-45) but 12 capacity bars on the dash display

My understanding, and I may be wrong, is that a reset will NOT reset the AHr value, so it can always be relied on. I'm pretty sure the amp-hour value is derived by the onboard computer empirically...

OrientExpress said:
My recommendation for a used LEAF is to look for a 2014 or later car.

2011-2012 cars were "get to market designs" and have issues with the HVAC design, and battery cell degradation, premature wear on the CV joints, leaking transfer case issues, and a soft suspension and sloppy steering feel.
2013 cars were the first year manufactured in the US, and early 2013 cars had battery issues as well. 2013 cars also had fit and finish issues as the production line was being sorted out in Tennessee.

2014 and later cars had the fit and finish issues pretty well sorted out, they use the more efficient heat-pump based HVAC system, have a firmer suspension and steering, incorporated better regen settings and included improved battery chemistry.

I think it would be more useful to suggest avoiding 2013 Leafs built before April of 2013, rather than all 2013 Leafs. The first three months of that year are when the inferior battery chemistry was used, and also seems to be the period in which most of the fit and finish problems occurred. My April build 2013 has been fine, and many others are happy with their later build cars. Buying a 2013 also gets you the 80% charge option, which is very useful. Finally, didn't they not allow both the Premium and Charge packages at once in 2014?

DONE! Scored a 2015 S for $10k with only 15,000 miles on it...battery seems to be in "like new" condition. The dealership bought it off a Ga dealership lease that ended last month before sending it to Va. This thing may work perfect for my 10 out and ten back commute since the office has free charging stations and the Trader Joe's up the road has the quick charge...the Nissan place is the backup since its open 24/7.

One question for the group: Any concerns about trickle charging in the rain? I see a majority our there saying it cool but there's the obvious risk of zapping yourself (or even worse, the Leaf!)

I just gotta get my head wrapped around all this charging - not getting the house wired up with the free stuff and 110 option.

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!

Dedicated circuit with a switch plate breaker or a surge protecter type "in line" thing? If I understand the shock risk, its at the point of the source of power and the monster cable/plug Nissan provides is 99% weather proof.

Rubicon said:
DONE! Scored a 2015 S for $10k with only 15,000 miles on it...battery seems to be in "like new" condition. The dealership bought it off a Ga dealership lease that ended last month before sending it to Va. This thing may work perfect for my 10 out and ten back commute since the office has free charging stations and the Trader Joe's up the road has the quick charge...the Nissan place is the backup since its open 24/7.

One question for the group: Any concerns about trickle charging in the rain? I see a majority our there saying it cool but there's the obvious risk of zapping yourself (or even worse, the Leaf!)

I just gotta get my head wrapped around all this charging - not getting the house wired up with the free stuff and 110 option.

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!

Congrats! I have had cash in hand ready to purchase for about a week now but haven't found the right one yet. I see a lot of "S" trim cars on the market but my understanding was they didn't have a heat pump. Do you happen to know if that's correct? Or maybe that didn't factor in to your decision.

I hope I can find one soon!

No heat pump in any Leaf S. It doesn't matter much for very short commutes, though, because the '13+ heater works quickly and effectively (except for the significant number of defective ones!) to heat the cabin. It just uses more power.

Charging in the rain isn't a big issue, for two reasons: the EVSE has built-in GFCI protection, and the J-1772 plug doesn't have high voltage flowing through it until after it's inserted fully into the charging port. There is only a low voltage pilot signal.

Back