Range only 76 miles

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonro001

Howdy all,

I own a 2014 SL Leaf, new to me, with 21K miles.

When I charge I only get to 76 miles with 12 dots. Curious if this is what others see. (I see posts where folks talk about 85 miles). Wondering if I am missing a magic setting for the charge level.

Thanks in advance!

Rob

The "dots" measure power used while driving. The capacity "bars" are the very short bars right next to the much larger charge bars. If you have 12 of the capacity bars, then there are several possibilities. By far the most likely is that your driving style in the last few minutes before you shut the car off is "average" and this is indicated in the range estimator. That estimate isn't very accurate at all in general, but is probably somewhere in the right neighborhood for you. For an accurate estimate of actual driving range, press the little blue button on the left side of the steering wheel, and a map will appear on the Nav screen, with two concentric circles and two range estimates. The lower estimate is usually accurate. 85 miles is possible, even with an older leaf with some lost range, but only at low speeds (40MPH or less) and very gentle driving. Your most likely range, assuming 12 bars but about 88% actual capacity, is about 70 miles in typical Summer driving, 50-60 miles in typical Winter driving.

Perfect, thank you. And your right on, I have been driving my leaf like a little sports car, it is so fast off the line.

Will tone it down just a bit and see what she says then.

One other question, the rings on the range display, what do the 2 range rings indicate? (Looked in the manual but it was not clear to me)

bonro001 said:
One other question, the rings on the range display, what do the 2 range rings indicate? (Looked in the manual but it was not clear to me)

With and without climate control.

As far as I can tell the big ring is the GOM, which is the driving efficiency of the past 15 minutes or so + a little optimism. The small ring is somewhere between the all-time worst driving efficiency of the car and the current driving efficiency. They both adjust depending on your driving style and the truth is somewhere in the middle.

VitaminJ said:
As far as I can tell the big ring is the GOM, which is the driving efficiency of the past 15 minutes or so + a little optimism. The small ring is somewhere between the all-time worst driving efficiency of the car and the current driving efficiency. They both adjust depending on your driving style and the truth is somewhere in the middle.

I agree. As for climate control only subtracting 2 miles from range, that's true in mild temps, down to maybe 40F. Below that the heat starts to draw more power than the A/C, in the SV and SL. Below roughly 15-20F the heat will draw vastly more power, with range being cut almost in half.

Back