Hello everyone

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lancpudn

Hi from Lancashire UK, I've been a petrol head all my life but since retiring I'm not doing a lot of mileage in my car so I'm thinking an EV will be perfect considering the high cost of petrol in the UK :D I've been reading up on the Nissan Leaf for a couple of weeks now as my next car is definitely going to be an EV & most likely a Leaf, I'm trying to garner as much info as possible about the pro's & con's of Nissan's leaf.

This site is a great source of information & I look forward to contributing more when I buy my Leaf.
Thanks Ian. :D :)

Not sure if you guys are seeing the great deals on used EVs, maybe not as your gas is so much more expensive than in the US but the prices on either new or used Leafs are very competitive now, good luck on your quest.

jjeff said:
Not sure if you guys are seeing the great deals on used EVs, maybe not as your gas is so much more expensive than in the US but the prices on either new or used Leafs are very competitive now, good luck on your quest.

Hello jjeff :) I've been keeping an eye on the used prices & they do seem to be coming down in price slowly, there seems to be lots of used leafs with "Flex" battery leases on them & they seem to sit around a long time on dealers lots, people don't seem to want the £80/$100 a month flex lease payments for the battery that go with the car. I'm still at odds whether to buy/lease/ or buy the car & lease the battery :?: , I'll be looking into buying a 2014 Gen II leaf & if funds are in better shape then a 2015.

After some thought I think I will be buying one outright in all reality.

Since retiring I have no commute to do & I drive less than 50/60 miles a week so it's a no brainer really about getting an EV, Yes like you say petrol is still expensive here , even though petrol is the cheapest it's been in years here I filled up this morning & it was £1.21 a litre thats £5.50 a UK gallon = $6.89 :shock:

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Hi Ian. Welcome. At that price, I'm surprised everyone doesn't switch.

If you haven't found it yet, check out http://www.Leaftalk.co.uk for local topics.

Hello thanks for the welcome :) Yeah the price of petrol is exorbitant here & you really feel it in the wallet. I tried to register with that site last week but for some reason it kept saying wrong user name etc & I never got the authorization email link so I couldn't register! :?

Lancpudn said:
... Yes like you say petrol is still expensive here , even though petrol is the cheapest it's been in years here I filled up this morning & it was £1.21 a litre thats £5.50 a UK gallon = $6.89 :shock:
:shock: yes fuel(we'll split the difference :lol: ) just recently topped $2/gallon and people were complaining, the highest I've ever seen was approaching $4/gallon quite a few years back and cars like the Prius(and Geo Metro or what I believe you call the Suzuki Swift) were selling like hotcakes! At our fuel prices it's no wonder many of the nice EVs and small cars that you Europeans get we can't yet we have tons of choice for fuel-hungry SUVs :(
Interesting about your option to lease batteries. I believe there was some talk about that a while back but AFAIK nothing ever materialized. Personally I like to buy things, never been one much for leases or monthly fees, good luck finding a nice used Leaf. If you were around here you could probably find one in the $6-8k range, I'm guessing they might be quite a bit more places where fuel is considerably more than here.

jjeff said:
Lancpudn said:
... Yes like you say petrol is still expensive here , even though petrol is the cheapest it's been in years here I filled up this morning & it was £1.21 a litre thats £5.50 a UK gallon = $6.89 :shock:
:shock: yes fuel(we'll split the difference :lol: ) just recently topped $2/gallon and people were complaining, the highest I've ever seen was approaching $4/gallon quite a few years back and cars like the Prius(and Geo Metro or what I believe you call the Suzuki Swift) were selling like hotcakes! At our fuel prices it's no wonder many of the nice EVs and small cars that you Europeans get we can't yet we have tons of choice for fuel-hungry SUVs :(
Interesting about your option to lease batteries. I believe there was some talk about that a while back but AFAIK nothing ever materialized. Personally I like to buy things, never been one much for leases or monthly fees, good luck finding a nice used Leaf. If you were around here you could probably find one in the $6-8k range, I'm guessing they might be quite a bit more places where fuel is considerably more than here.

up until a few years ago I ran a few American classic cars among other British classics for many years. I had a 65 T-Bird, 72 Mustang convertible, & a 77 Chevrolet Camaro. It was really expensive running 10-15 mpg cars here :shock: I sold them all off as the body wasn't willing to do the endless maintenance on them anymore & the drain on the wallet got too much running them.

Also I'm running an old 2000 Rover 75 2.5 ltr twin cam V6 which is getting harder & harder to pass the yearly MOT test emissions.

8MbrgrSl.jpg

46Q3IQ3l.jpg

My car tastes seem to have gone polar opposite after a lifetime of gas guzzlers. I really like the technology that goes into these Nissan leafs & cant wait to own one.

I too have never had car loans or leases for vehicles, I've always preferred to save up & buy them outright. I'm still a little shy of buying one but not too far off.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
I wouldn't normally lease, but with EV technology improving and the low resale value of Leafs, I can't justify buying.

Hi yes I can see the logic in that also, I've got a bit of time before I decide which way I'll go so I'll do a bit more research.

I'm thinking I might keep my old 2000 Rover 75 as a standby car as the resale value of that in todays market is virtually zero.

If I can find an half decent ex lease Leaf for the right money I might just buy it! I'm seeing the prices come down & as there are a ton of 2012/3 leafs on dealers forecourts that they are having trouble shifting because of the 'Flex' battery lease system on them. I read that Nissan are thinking about selling those battery leases to the car buyer in order to sell these cars.!.

With the US-assembled leafs there is a sharp changeover in battery chemistry, with the old, easily-degraded chemistry used through March of 2013, but ending with April 2013, when a better "formula" was used. I have no idea when the changeover to a more resistant chemistry occurred in European Leafs...

LeftieBiker said:
With the US-assembled leafs there is a sharp changeover in battery chemistry, with the old, easily-degraded chemistry used through March of 2013, but ending with April 2013, when a better "formula" was used. I have no idea when the changeover to a more resistant chemistry occurred in European Leafs...

Hi LeftBiker, Thank you for that information, that's a good piece of information to know. :) I'm slowly making my way through all the information on this site to give me a better understanding of what to buy.

As others have said about the technology improving & getting cheaper in the not too distant future I'm hoping that if the worst came to the worst & I ever needed a new/reconditioned replacement battery cell down the road it wouldn't cost a small fortune. :)

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Best of luck to you. Degradation is minimal in your climate. You shouldn't have any problems.

Thanks :) Yeah rarely see temps past the low 70's in Summer here, we get wall to wall battleship grey clouds all year & rains a lot too :lol: I cant wait to put up my new leaf thread. :D

Lancpudn said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:
Best of luck to you. Degradation is minimal in your climate. You shouldn't have any problems.

Thanks :) Yeah rarely see temps past the low 70's in Summer here, we get wall to wall battleship grey clouds all year round & rains a lot too :lol: I cant wait to put up my new leaf thread. :D

Lancpudn said:
Lancpudn said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:

Thanks :) Yeah rarely see temps past the low 70's in Summer here, we get wall to wall battleship grey clouds all year round & it rains a lot too :lol: I cant wait to put up my new leaf owner thread. :D

jjeff said:
Interesting about your option to lease batteries. I believe there was some talk about that a while back but AFAIK nothing ever materialized.

Nissan USA had contemplated such a move, until they saw the huge outcry on this forum. However the Smart ED is/was available with a battery lease option in this country.

RonDawg said:
jjeff said:
Interesting about your option to lease batteries. I believe there was some talk about that a while back but AFAIK nothing ever materialized.

Nissan USA had contemplated such a move, until they saw the huge outcry on this forum. However the Smart ED is/was available with a battery lease option in this country.

Yeah I'm don't think I'm going to buy a secondhand leaf & get stuck with a 'Flex' battery lease monthly payment between £70 & £ 93 depending on mileage for my entire ownership of the car.

I see dealers trying to sell these 'Flex' cars offering a free home charger installed & the first 6 months flex payments paid just to get them off their lots.

I should imagine trying to sell a 'flex' lease car privately to be quite difficult.

Am I right in thinking that a Leaf with very little mileage is as bad as a Leaf with high mileage! I've seen a 2014 E Acenta leaf with less than 2000 miles on the clock for sale near me, that seems very low mileage for a two year old car.

I may go & have a look at it.

Back