12 volt heated blanket x 4

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grousa

Hi fellow Leaf owners I'm Graham from Morecambe UK i've just joined and this is my first post

I've had my leaf a few months now and love it,
However, have found it's on the destination/charge-up boarder line at times and have nearly frozen my two 16/17 year olds and my mother of 89, needless to say they were none too happy with me and my newly acquired electric buggy and so-

Can I use 4 x 12 volt heated blankets whilst driving (2013 2nd generation Leaf) to save battery energy when i need to keep the heater off.
Will this deplete the 12 volt battery to cause it to stop or will the internal battery DC charger from the big battery balance levels out or am I pissing in the wind with that idea

Yes you can use those blankets, as long as 4 of them doesn't surpass the amp rating of your 12v outlet, I believe 10?? amps.
If your blankets aren't rated in amps but rather watts, just add up the watts and divide by the voltage(12v) and you'll get the amps.
More than likely even 4 blankets will be less than the total your outlet will provide but just make sure. Oh and you'll probably need some sort of Y-adapters to make more outlets and if you do also make sure they are meant for your total amperage. Lots of the cheap Y-adapters are really only meant for very low current devices, I like the 1 in 2 out Y-adapters with heavier wires(16g or 14g) connecting everything. Only problem with that is you'd need 3 of those, split 2 ways and then split each of the 2 outputs again with 2 more splitters. I like this type:
https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GC020-12V-2-Way-Splitter/dp/B00G8WLT7C/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1480949106&sr=1-3&keywords=12v+splitter

The kind to NOT get is a low current splitter like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Zone-Tech-3-Socket-Cigarette-Lighter/dp/B01AYFTXPS/ref=pd_sbs_23_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01AYFTXPS&pd_rd_r=Q9G7N7KBD2T4JR8EG47H&pd_rd_w=bRJvp&pd_rd_wg=wtmZh&psc=1&refRID=Q9G7N7KBD2T4JR8EG47H
Or not this type, which sounds like it only has a 5a fuse:
https://www.amazon.com/Wagan-4-Way-Automotive-Socket-Extender/dp/B0009JB7GI/ref=pd_sbs_23_6?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0009JB7GI&pd_rd_r=Q9G7N7KBD2T4JR8EG47H&pd_rd_w=bRJvp&pd_rd_wg=wtmZh&psc=1&refRID=Q9G7N7KBD2T4JR8EG47H

Update:
Just looked at Amazon and a blanket they sell looks like it draws 4a each, 4x4=16a which is for sure too much for the 12v accessory outlet on your Leaf. Like I said I believe its 10a but for sure no way over 15a......maybe they make blankets that draw less?? Even if the 12v outlet can supply more than 10a most of the splitters probably top out at 10a, I personally wouldn't want to have my total amps more than 10, which in the case of this blanket would mean only 2 :(
https://www.amazon.com/Trillium-Worldwide-12-Volt-Heated-Blanket/dp/B0000DYVN9/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1480949740&sr=1-1&keywords=12v+blanket

Oh and no worry about your 12v battery, the HV battery will charge the 12v battery when it gets low and will for sure take less power than running your main high voltage cabin heater. Note same thing with the seat heaters, very little current draw compared to the main dash heater.

I think you called it... You may be tinkling into the breeze on this one... I, like you tried experimenting with 12v electric blankets when I got my Leaf. Those blankets use up ALOT of watts of power, and more than one from the front outlet "cigarette lighter" plug may blow fuses. If you are carrying 4 people at the same time, it is worth it to run the heat at about 69 degrees constantly, and you will not lose that much range. I would say that electric blanket for either the front or the back will work... How about just regular blankets, and you will feel like you are in a "one horse open sleigh" during the winter...

Note the main Leaf heater draws something like 4000 watts, I believe more. The blankets I linked draws something like 48 watts each or ~200 watts for 4, still WAY lower than the main heater. One issue I see with the blankets is with all those people in the car the windscreen is sure to fog/ice up, and bad. You really need the main heat on for defrosting as much as heating. Not some people go out and purchase a small(10 amp?? 120w) cigarette lighter fan/heater like this, and if that were all your going to use it might be OK but that heater then 4 blanket heaters........well at some point it's probably best to just use the main heater.
Note even with 4 blanket heaters and that windscreen heater you'd only be drawing ~320 watts compared to the 4000 watts of the main Leaf heater but you'd never be able to draw all that from the cigarette lighter and you'd have to ask yourself if it were all worth it running higher amperage 12v wiring around your Leaf.....
https://www.amazon.com/TOPCHANCES-Portable-Ceramic-Defroster-Demister/dp/B01CE73FN0/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1480959522&sr=8-14&keywords=12v+accessory+heater

My volt has 2 cigarettes lighters and a USB, oddly enough there are USB heaters too (check Japanese websites)

Also adddtional 12 cigarette lighters can be wired into any car.

Good luck

Hello,
The heater in my 11 leaf draws 700 ~ 1500 watts (depending on outside temp) AFTER the cabin has been heated. It's worth running the preheat before you leave if it's plugged in.

The heated blanket I used the last year I was working was large enough for both people in front. You should be able to use one blanket in front and one in back. It was pretty warm.

Welcome!

Here are two ideas for you, one I use already and another I plan to use.

1. Preheat the car with house power. You can set this up automatically with the LEAF, but I have a system that's easier. I put a safe space heater in the car, plugged into the wall, and I run it for 20 minutes before a trip. Works great! My heater even has a thermostat, so it doesn't get too hot for my hot-flashing wife.

2. Electric blankets are nice, but notice that you have four very efficient heaters already in the car, that is, two kids and one grandma! Get some really thick wool blankets, and you'll keep your four heat sources happy and cozy with no impact on range!

I'm guessing that they'll heat up faster with a thick blanket than with several blankets powered through 12V.

One blanket in front, one in rear, with one of those Y-adapters I linked earlier on. My only concern is fogging/frosting windscreen with 4 people in the car and no forced air heat. Of course the dash mount heater I linked might help with that but from it's amp rating it would basically take all the power from the accessory outlet, leaving none for the blankets.....that is unless the OP wanted to run a separate 12g wire from the 12v battery which would probably power all 3 devices.

As usual, the OP didn't specify a year or model Leaf. If it's a 2013 or newer, then defrosting with a low heater setting isn't a problem. It should also, IIRC, have a second power port in the back...?

LeftieBiker said:
As usual, the OP didn't specify a year or model Leaf. If it's a 2013 or newer, then defrosting with a low heater setting isn't a problem. It should also, IIRC, have a second power port in the back...?
The OP said in the OP they had a "(2013 2nd generation Leaf)" and being a UK Leak I can't say exactly what options it has but my '13S only has one accessory outlet under the dash, nothing in the back :)
Not sure though if it has the heatpump or just resistive heater like my S.....

I missed the year. The 2013 S would have a direct air-heating heater that can be switched off and on easily, so even if it's an S defrosting isn't a big issue. I suggest using floor+defrost with the fan on Low and the temp at 70, if that allows enough range. I'm not sure about rear power ports on the SV and SL - I never use my back seat for people.

Thank you to you all for all your advice.

So I'm probably going to use a combination of all advice given and some of my own ideas.

I did a test this morning by sitting in a carpark by the sea (very nice view) with the leaf in PS mode - only having the radio on and one heated blanket plunged in. After about an hour and ten minutes the cars 12 volt battery must have depleted enough to cause the leafs brain to initiate recharge from the main lithium battery - one left hand (N/S) blue dash light began to flash and after 20 minutes the main battery had been depleted by 4% and range went down from 63 miles to 60 so going off that, in an hour and a half's journey I would lose 12 miles which I'm pretty sure is more than the car heater would use on a respectable relatively low 23.5 degree setting on a 60 mile hour and a half trip.

So yes for a family of 4 :-

1. Heat the car up at home

2. Take two electric blankets and heat up for a short time (one in the back shared and the same in the front)

3. Take 4 High tog quilts to lock heat in

4. All dress in full Arctic ski-wear (including ridiculous bobble hats)

5. Have a hot bath shortly before setting off

6. Take 4 medium ferrets to run free within clothing (will alone create friction and possibly cause heat producing muscle spasms when sensitive parts nibbled upon)

7. All wear diving masks and piping connected to heat exchanger/ventilation unit (eliminates condensation build up)

8. Emigrate to warmer climate

Cheers to you all
and feel free to use any of my recommendations

:lol:
Yes preheating can help a lot, an electric blanket(using a heavy duty 12v splitter) or two(but not more) would help and use main heat/defrost as needed. Like your idea of warmer climate, bitter windchill today in my neck of the woods and only going to get colder from here, lucky to get above the single digits by Friday :( Currently 81(27c) in Florida :cool:

I believe the blanket I use has two settings. Find one like that and you should be able to use both at once, on Low. At least until the ferrets chew through the wires.

Oh, and the battery test you did doesn't really show the actual range loss you'd experience. That would be a lot less. I suspect that your 12 volt battery, like most Leaf batteries, is chronically undercharged and was already low when you tested it. If you hardwire in a battery maintainer lead, and use that to top off the 12 volt battery when you charge the car, you will do fine with two heated fleece blankets on low.

LeftieBiker said:
I believe the blanket I use has two settings. Find one like that and you should be able to use both at once, on Low. At least until the ferrets chew through the wires.

Oh, and the battery test you did doesn't really show the actual range loss you'd experience. That would be a lot less. I suspect that your 12 volt battery, like most Leaf batteries, is chronically undercharged and was already low when you tested it. If you hardwire in a battery maintainer lead, and use that to top off the 12 volt battery when you charge the car, you will do fine with two heated fleece blankets on low.

How exactly would I hardwire in a battery maintainer lead?

Grousa said:
LeftieBiker said:

How exactly would I hardwire in a battery maintainer lead?

It sounds like a good idea

jjeff said:
:lol:
Yes preheating can help a lot, an electric blanket(using a heavy duty 12v splitter) or two(but not more) would help and use main heat/defrost as needed. Like your idea of warmer climate, bitter windchill today in my neck of the woods and only going to get colder from here, lucky to get above the single digits by Friday :( Currently 81(27c) in Florida :cool:

jjeff,
Sounds good and yes two's the limit
Where on this earth are you?

PianoAl said:
Welcome!

Here are two ideas for you, one I use already and another I plan to use.

1. Preheat the car with house power. You can set this up automatically with the LEAF, but I have a system that's easier. I put a safe space heater in the car, plugged into the wall, and I run it for 20 minutes before a trip. Works great! My heater even has a thermostat, so it doesn't get too hot for my hot-flashing wife.

2. Electric blankets are nice, but notice that you have four very efficient heaters already in the car, that is, two kids and one grandma! Get some really thick wool blankets, and you'll keep your four heat sources happy and cozy with no impact on range!

I'm guessing that they'll heat up faster with a thick blanket than with several blankets powered through 12V.

PianoAL,

Being tight an all, did'nt really want to buy a heater
When plugged in you can press start button twice (with foot off the brake) and go into PS mode then just initiate full heat for 15 minutes, I don't think it depletes battery charge but I'll double check that.

Frosty mornings I've been setting the climate timer

And yes three good human heaters but Grandma's internal heater don't seem to work so good evan after a supercharged porridge boost

Thick blankets are a good idea though

Cheers
Grousa

Back