Can used remotes on Ebay be reprogrammed to work?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atikovi

I see them on Ebay for around $50 and a locksmith will program it for $70. Would they work on the early Leaf models if the FCC ID number cwtwb1u808 match? Anyone have a spare they want to sell?

I have been told by a dealer that remotes that have been programmed to one car cannot be reprogrammed to work with another, but I have not had a chance to check with an independent locksmith (I have a 2011 remote that I want to program as an extra for my 2015).

Gerry

The way it was explained to me is that the dealer programs the car to respond to the remotes. All the remotes the car will respond to have to be present when the programming is done. The dealer uses the Consult tool to do this. I'm not sure of the process used by locksmiths to get the job done.

My dealer will sell a new remote, cut the key, and program the car for $300. I bought a new remote and key for about $100. The dealer charged me $80 to cut the key and program the car so it would recognize both remotes. Contact your service department and see what your options are, and the cost. When I got the second remote, a local locksmith wanted $125 for programming and to cut the key, where the dealer only charged $80.

Back