Selling MDX and purchased 2014 SV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gswcowboy

Hi All,

Just excited to let y'all know that I've purchased a 2014 SV with 9K miles w/ a clean carfax and 12 capacity bars. QCP and 6.6Kw onboard charger. ETA for delivery is next week. All for $10K which to me was a good enough deal to take the plunge. With regards to the EVSE at home, I'm asking my Electrician to install a 50amp outlet and I plan on purchasing JuiceBox 40A EV Charger. Will this work for the leaf as well as the Model 3 which has already been reserved. Please advise.

Thanks,
gswcowboy

Enjoy!

A 50-ampere, 240-volt receptacle is ideal. There are two receptacles available: NEMA 6-50 (3-wire typically used for welders) or 14-50 (4-wire typically used for ranges). NEMA 14-50 is more common for cord/plug-connected EVSE units so that is probably the best choice. If you have your electrician install larger wire, you might be able to upgrade the circuit to accommodate faster charging for the Tesla.

Gerry

GerryAZ said:
Enjoy!

A 50-ampere, 240-volt receptacle is ideal. There are two receptacles available: NEMA 6-50 (3-wire typically used for welders) or 14-50 (4-wire typically used for ranges). NEMA 14-50 is more common for cord/plug-connected EVSE units so that is probably the best choice. If you have your electrician install larger wire, you might be able to upgrade the circuit to accommodate faster charging for the Tesla.

Gerry

Thank you Gerry! How much of a concern is there for not having a UL certified EVSE?

You will get lots of opinions regarding UL Listing. A hard-wired installation may fail electrical inspection (city, county, or state) because NEC (National Electrical Code) and other building codes require equipment to be listed or certified. By just having a receptacle installed, you are free to plug anything appropriate into it--just have any inspections completed before mounting the EVSE and plugging it in. There are high-quality EVSEs that are not UL or ETL listed available from several vendors that frequent (and support) this web site. There are also UL Listed commercial EVSE units that are known to have marginal connections in the J1772 handle. For my personal use, I am more concerned about quality than whether or not it has a UL or ETL label. I had the J1772 connector get extremely hot while using a Blink public EVSE that was UL Listed, but was fortunate that I unplugged before it damaged my car. I have been using a high-quality EVSE designed (and UL Listed) to be hard-wired with a flexible cord and NEMA 14-50 plug since 2011. It is perfectly safe, but technically violates the UL Listing so I will eventually wire it in permanently.

Gerry

Juicebox has also kind of standardized on the 14-50 outlet, personally I'd go that route for a >30a EVSE, for <30a I'd suggest the L6-30(or L14-30 if you ever think you need the netural wire for anything, EVSEs don't use the neutral wire).
Some people have speculated to get the govt. tax credit back for EVSE purchases that it needs to be UL listed. I personally didn't see anything on the forum asking for UL certification and got the credit back just fine with my non UL listed EVSEs....

Thanks guys! Electrician coming tomorrow to install 14-50 receptacle which connects to 50amp breaker. I went ahead and purchased the JuiceBox 40A so hopefully all goes well. This site rocks btw!

gswcowboy said:
Thanks guys! Electrician coming tomorrow to install 14-50 receptacle which connects to 50amp breaker. I went ahead and purchased the JuiceBox 40A so hopefully all goes well. This site rocks btw!

Good choice. See my signature :)

inphoenix said:
gswcowboy said:

Thanks! How long does it typically take to charge your 14 S?

[youtube][/youtube]
gswcowboy said:
inphoenix said:
gswcowboy said:

It depends on how much battery has been used during the day. We are usually down to 20% or lower by the end of the day. It starts charging around 1 AM and takes a little over 3 hours to charge and then 30 minutes or so to equalize. I am quoting these off the top of my head so may be a little off. I can tell you exact numbers tomorrow as I will note down what % of battery was left before I plug it in tonight.

Can I tack on a noob question, how do you get your car to start charging at 1am? Is that part of the Juice Box, and if so would I need the Pro version for $599 with WiFi as I don't see anything on the $499 version that would indicate it has controls.

SurfHawk said:
Can I tack on a noob question, how do you get your car to start charging at 1am? Is that part of the Juice Box, and if so would I need the Pro version for $599 with WiFi as I don't see anything on the $499 version that would indicate it has controls.

I use Leaf's charging timer for that purpose. While you cannot control when it starts to charge, you can setup a time for when you want it fully charged. I ask the car to be ready by 5 AM and depending on charge needed it will start charging accordingly.

You can use JuiceBox Pro's controls to start charging at a given time. Tesla has a similar feature.

inphoenix said:
I use Leaf's charging timer for that purpose. While you cannot control when it starts to charge, you can setup a time for when you want it fully charged. I ask the car to be ready by 5 AM and depending on charge needed it will start charging accordingly. .

Thanks! Don't have a Leaf yet, and didn't know there was a timer. Can't wait to try it out.

powersurge said:
I understand that the Juicebox is not UL listed??

took the plunge nonetheless but here's their message regarding it.

The JuiceBox is not yet UL rated, but is UL compliant and built with UL components and cables. It is currently in UL testing and expected to be done by Fall, 2016. The UL process is winding up, although it's been a bit sluggish, we have light at the end of the tunnel.

It is also CE, NEMA, and SAE compliant, and EESS rated.

For permitting purposes, the JuiceBox is rated as a plug-in device, meaning that the subject of permitting is the NEMA plug connection.

As long as this plug (receptacle) is UL listed and installed by a licensed electrician, this is fully passable for permitting purposes.

inphoenix said:
[youtube][/youtube]
gswcowboy said:
inphoenix said:

It depends on how much battery has been used during the day. We are usually down to 20% or lower by the end of the day. It starts charging around 1 AM and takes a little over 3 hours to charge and then 30 minutes or so to equalize. I am quoting these off the top of my head so may be a little off. I can tell you exact numbers tomorrow as I will note down what % of battery was left before I plug it in tonight.

Please do. PG&E off peak hours is 11pm-6am I believe. You mentioned 'timer' on the leaf so I'll take a look at that when I get my car next week. Assuming 20 miles left on the car and I want it ready by 5am like you mentioned, it would 'start' at say 2 or 3am? Also as a noob, what happens when the car is fully charged? Does the Juicebox stop feeding it 'juice'?!

thanks!

gswcowboy said:
inphoenix said:
[youtube][/youtube]
gswcowboy said:

Please do. PG&E off peak hours is 11pm-6am I believe. You mentioned 'timer' on the leaf so I'll take a look at that when I get my car next week. Assuming 20 miles left on the car and I want it ready by 5am like you mentioned, it would 'start' at say 2 or 3am? Also as a noob, what happens when the car is fully charged? Does the Juicebox stop feeding it 'juice'?!

thanks!
In that case I'd set your Leaf to be charged(or maybe Leaf calls it departure time??) at 6am, it will stop charging sometime before 6am, start time will depend on how low your battery is but with a 20a L2 setup you can expect more than 20%/hr or a max of about 5hrs and even with a dead battery shouldn't start before your 11pm rate brake.
Yes when the Leaf gets charged it no longer draws power from your EVSE(Juicebox in your case).

SurfHawk said:
inphoenix said:
I use Leaf's charging timer for that purpose. While you cannot control when it starts to charge, you can setup a time for when you want it fully charged. I ask the car to be ready by 5 AM and depending on charge needed it will start charging accordingly. .

Thanks! Don't have a Leaf yet, and didn't know there was a timer. Can't wait to try it out.

The SV/SL models have a timer that lets you specify start and stop times. The S model has a timer that only lets you specify end time.

baustin said:
SurfHawk said:
inphoenix said:

The SV/SL models have a timer that lets you specify start and stop times. The S model has a timer that only lets you specify end time.

I have a 2014 S without the NAV System and the timer built into the main cluster only lets you specify how many hours to delay the charging start time from the moment you plug in. Without the NAV System and Nissan Connect you don't appear to have access to the advanced timers.

RockyNv said:
baustin said:
SurfHawk said:

I have a 2014 S without the NAV System and the timer built into the main cluster only lets you specify how many hours to delay the charging start time from the moment you plug in. Without the NAV System and Nissan Connect you don't appear to have access to the advanced timers.

I was going by what I thought I had remembered reading. I have an SV, so I'm not familiar with the timers in the S.

jjeff said:
gswcowboy said:
inphoenix said:
[youtube][/youtube]

thanks!
In that case I'd set your Leaf to be charged(or maybe Leaf calls it departure time??) at 6am, it will stop charging sometime before 6am, start time will depend on how low your battery is but with a 20a L2 setup you can expect more than 20%/hr or a max of about 5hrs and even with a dead battery shouldn't start before your 11pm rate brake.
Yes when the Leaf gets charged it no longer draws power from your EVSE(Juicebox in your case).

Thanks jjeff!! I'd expect less time if juicebox is 40a l2 yielding 10kw/hr w/ leaf's 6.6.kw onboard charger, i'm hoping to get 30-36miles per hour charge. I'll find out soon enough.

Back