2013 Prices seem to be falling!!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CincyLeaf

Hey guys,

I was very close to getting a '13 SL in june for $13k. Here we are in August and you can already fine the same models for $11.5-$12k all loaded with options and all. You can all find for the 2013 the S trim for less than $10k and just about that much for the SV. The ROI calculation is looking much better in that range. If I can get an SL at $11.5 it would bring my ROI to around 1 year 2 months. It's getting very very tempting but I can only imagine what I could find if I wait the end of the year.

Thanks!

CincyLeaf said:
I was very close to getting a '13 SL in june for $13k.
Frankly, by Bay Area standards, that was a terrible price.
CincyLeaf said:
You can all find for the 2013 the S trim for less than $10k and just about that much for the SV.
Also too high.

I'm guessing your prices are from Nissan franchise dealers which usually have big markups as opposed to used car dealers that just get them straight from Manheim auctions (http://press.manheim.com/2010-07-27-Manheim-partners-with-nissan-motor-acceptance-corp-And-infiniti-financial-services-to-create-a-better-faster-way-to-turn-off-lease-inventory-into-sales).

The above '13s will likely be 3-year lease returns or somewhere over 30 month so they have little or none of the 3 year/36K mile basic warranty left and under 2 years of the 5 year/60K powertrain/EV system warranty left.

Below's a pointer to my saga over ago. My '13 SV w/premium (2 year lease return w/under 24K miles on the clock, clean title w/all 12 capacity bars, Bay Area car, build month 5/2013) was $9,325 + tax and license in July 2015. I'm still driving it and still has all 12 bars.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=429492#p429492
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=430552#p430552
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=430825#p430825

Here are some old auction prices: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=462637#p462637.

Admittedly, I did somehow get lucky on 2 counts:
- '13 Leaf prices were very low back then and actually went up somewhat not long after I got mine.
- My used car dealer when bidding might've gotten lucky. He believes others bidding might not've realized the car had premium package and was just an SV w/no packages. He originally targeted me paying $10K (which I was ok with), so his cost would've been ~$9K, not $8,325.

Every year there is a new crop of lease returns, and in the fall the new models come out, all the used cars instantly are a "year older" and the priceds drop another 1000 bucks to 2000 bucks

2 year old lease return ( 2015) $15,000
3 year old lease return 2014 $14 to 13K
4 year old lease return 2013 13 - 10 K

cars with fewer than 12 bars and over 30,000 miles can be a grand or more less.
So we are seeing some lesser '13 SV's in the 9 grand range.. and in a few months they will
ALL be there except the premiums

SL's command the high ground all things being equal
the bulk will be SV's among which there are a lot of variations : 1 or 4 cameras, and LEDS, and Bose

Figure the mom and pops need to make a $1000 above the auction price to keep the
lights on and momma happy.

I have NEVER seen a decent Used Leaf deal at a Nissan Dealer.. they hate them.

BTW.. a saleman who knows squat about a Leaf is rare.. except the few who specialize in them.
Such as Rose Motors, Active Motors, perhaps some in the San Jose Area.

I have no experience with private parties.. who seem generally to have nutty price ideas.

cwerdna said:

- '13 Leaf prices were very low back then and actually went up somewhat not long after I got mine.
- My used car dealer when bidding might've gotten lucky. He believes others bidding might not've realized the car had premium package and was just an SV w/no packages. He originally targeted me paying $10K (which I was ok with), so his cost would've been ~$9K, not $8,325.

you have a MUCH better market being on the West Coast than nearly any other part of the country so your prices should be at least 2-$3,000 lower.

I am seeing 13's all over the place in the $8000 price range which is normal considering a lot of 13's coming off lease are being offered for sale in the mid 6's. Sounds like they are going to auction at the same or slightly lower price and this is just standard dealer mark up.

Plan to negotiate another $500 to $1000 off an already attractive price!

DaveinOlyWA said:
cwerdna said:

you have a MUCH better market being on the West Coast than nearly any other part of the country so your prices should be at least 2-$3,000 lower.

I am seeing 13's all over the place in the $8000 price range which is normal considering a lot of 13's coming off lease are being offered for sale in the mid 6's. Sounds like they are going to auction at the same or slightly lower price and this is just standard dealer mark up.

Plan to negotiate another $500 to $1000 off an already attractive price!
Yes. It does seem like the West Coast has it better due to the plentiful supply of lease returns and plenty of EV/PHEV choices due to CA ZEV regulations. Many of those EVs and PHEVs are available w/cheap leases and there are the CA HOV stickers.

The Pacific Northwest Leafs command a price premium, but rightfully so, since at least the ones in/around the Seattle area and Oregon will have less heat degradation than most of the CA cars.

cwerdna said:
The Pacific Northwest Leafs command a price premium, but rightfully so, since at least the ones in/around the Seattle area and Oregon will have less heat degradation than most of the CA cars.

Am in Seattle and been looking at used LEAFs. Carfax shows most of lower prices cars were operated in hotter climates in CA (Southern Cal, Sacramento) and I use to see quite a few cars from GA. So non dealers seems to get quite a bit of stock from the hotter climates.

howardc64 said:
cwerdna said:

Am in Seattle and been looking at used LEAFs. Carfax shows most of lower prices cars were operated in hotter climates in CA (Southern Cal, Sacramento) and I use to see quite a few cars from GA. So non dealers seems to get quite a bit of stock from the hotter climates.

yep that is normal. too many returns in one area and greater than average demand means lease returns go to regional auctions and scatter far and wide from there.

Plus, its much easier to get a more severely degraded LEAF and milk it in our cool mild climate than to leave it where it got the degradation in the first place :)

Back