B mode

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WyrTwister

We have had our 2012 Leaf a little over a month .

I have discovered ECO mode . But I have read of a B mode . Is this the same thing with a different name ( different model years ) ?

Thanks ,
Wyr
God bless

B mode didn't start until the '13 model year (and wasn't available on S trim until at least a year later).

On '13 SV and SL, one can turn on/off Eco (via Eco button on steering wheel) in both D and B modes. D vs. B are selected via the shifter knob. Shifting to D/B while in D switches to B. Shifting to D/B again moves you to D.

In short, B mode increases Regenerate braking a lot, without changing the throttle response. The Eco button (from 2013 on) changes throttle response and limits heat and A/C.

LeftieBiker said:
The Eco button changes throttle response and limits heat and A/C.
Per the '11 Leaf manual, it also increases regen:
"— In the ECO position more regenerative
brake is applied when the accelerator
pedal is released in comparison to the D
(Drive) position and more power is
provided to the Li-ion battery.
— The ECO position helps reduce power
consumption by reducing acceleration
when compared to the same accelerator
pedal position in the D (Drive ) position.
— The ECO position reduces the power
provided to the heater and air conditioner
system..."

While ECO mode gives slightly more regeneration by lifting foot from accelerator than D mode, that regeneration is available in D mode by lightly touching the brake pedal on the 2011 and 2012 models. B mode on the later models makes that regeneration available without touching the brake pedal. I never use ECO mode because I don't like the limitation on maximum A/C power and the ECO accelerator pedal feel. FWIW, the electric motor would be capable of much more aggressive regeneration if Nissan's control systems would allow it.

Gerry

cwerdna said:
LeftieBiker said:
The Eco button changes throttle response and limits heat and A/C.
Per the '11 Leaf manual, it also increases regen:
"— In the ECO position more regenerative
brake is applied when the accelerator
pedal is released in comparison to the D
(Drive) position and more power is
provided to the Li-ion battery.
— The ECO position helps reduce power
consumption by reducing acceleration
when compared to the same accelerator
pedal position in the D (Drive ) position.
— The ECO position reduces the power
provided to the heater and air conditioner
system..."

I was thinking of the later version when I wrote that. I just edited the post to reflect that.

The B mode will consume more energy than the D mode. Why? Because it is always more efficient to coast than to move then energy back and forth between the battery and the wheels.

B is useful when going down steep slopes or pulling a trailer, when you want more resistance to coasting. It's analogous to putting a gasoline car into a lower gear and using engine compression for braking. But it's not quite the same thing, because it doesn't waste nearly as much fuel, doesn't redline your engine, and is not useful in mud or snow.

Back