Hello, picking up my 2013 SL in a few weeks

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gethin

Hello,

Purchased a 2013 SL this morning, trading (well a $3,000 rebate for the scrap-it program we have here) in my 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid. Pretty excited to buy my first EV.

It's black and I love the looks.

Will be mostly used for commuting to my office which is 38KMs one way and local errand running.

I could have taken it home today but it's held at the dealership until the airbag recall is done "in the next few weeks". Hopefully it will be this quick as I cant wait to get it home! Anyone have experience on the ETA of these airbag recalls? I contacted Nissan Canada too see if they have any timeline.

Will be picking up my level 2 charger from Home Depot across the border at the end of the week. I can charge at work too.

Also have a 2003 WRX Subaru and a 03 Rubicon for off-roading only. Will be cool to have a silent commute without burning gas!!

I'll be reading the forums for any tips and tricks. I typically got 850 KMs from my HCH with 45L of gas by careful driving.

Cheerio.

Gethin.

Congrats!

Scrapped a 2000 Mazda 626 to get the $3K grant for my 2012 three months ago.

It was really ready for scrapping - surprised a 2003 HCH was though.

So the scrap-it program does not take Hybrid's apparently. The batteries require special handling.

I'll try retire-you-ride failing that I'll try to sell via craigslist.

If the problem with the Civic is a failed hybrid battery, there are folks who look for those and who then replace the battery, either to keep or to resell. They expect to get them cheap, but not free.

Yeah the IMA battery is solid and no performance issues. But it's 13 years old so it's lifetime is probably running short. I'm glad it's lasted me this long.

I had a friend with a Honda Civic Hybrid. Emissions light came on when the catalytic converter needed service. Was going to be four figures to fix (to get it through state emissions testing) so she dumped it.

Sold the HCH for 2600 so not bad. Funny that the scrap it program to get a EV wouldn't take a hybrid! Now a waiting game for the airbag sensor. Nissan Canada said to get in touch with my dealer :D

Only $400 short of the full amount you would have gotten under the program. Not bad! We had a similar program in the US several years ago called "Cash for Clunkers".

FWIW, I have been on the list for the recall part for 3 weeks with my dealership. No timeline given. Why can't you just go ahead and start driving it until it comes in?

gethin said:
The dealer told me there is a "stop sale" notice on the car. They won't release it until the airbag sensor is updated.
I believe Nissan-franchise dealers are legally required to complete any open recall work before releasing it to a customer for sale. Used car dealers (at least in the US) don't have that mandate.

This may be a great time to buy a 2013 Leaf from a Nissan dealer - if you don't need it right away. Tell them that you know that they can't release the car if sold, and that there is no ETA for the necessary parts.

Just called the dealer that's holding my car. They have no idea when the part will be available, they initially told me one week. :roll: I found another SL a newer 2014 with lower K's at a Honda dealer, the SD card is missing (on all of their leafs on the lot :roll: ) so I called the Nissan Leaf helpline to see what the process is to get a new SD card. They didn't know and pointed me to my local Nissan dealer. Called my local Nissan dealer, and they didn't have a clue either or a cost.

I'm a pretty calm and patient man, but wow this is hard work !!

Gethin.

So the same dealer has a Silver 2014 SL with premium sound, so we're negotiating prices, since they can't give me a time when the airbag on the 2013 will be done. My only concern now is the whole 2G/3G thing........hmmm......

She's home !!! Super stoked. Traffic was a nightmare coming back on the highway from the dealer, and she just sat there. NOT BURNING GAS. Sweet.

It's a US import, so I had to get in touch with Nissan USA to get the carwings account set up. But it's working great now, apps connects and everything. Not a deal breaker for me if it didn't work but a nice thing to have. Wonder when the 3G situation is. I emailed Nissan Canada to see what the process is.

220v socket being put in tomorrow and OpenEVSE kit comes next week. Just need to get hold of a J1772 connector and cable.

:))))))

Gethin.

Back