lost both keys, need to tow car to dealership...

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moi

Hello All, I have searched this site and have sent an info. please email to Nissan. Perhaps you know of someone who has had the same problem due to a geriatric head, or a blond head or a stewardii head year (currently in the process of all three) and thus have had to find information to address my dilemma. This is the gist of the email sent. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Some time ago I lost the 2nd key to my 2012 Nissan Leaf and have not replaced it hoping to eventually find it in the fridge or a shoe box or in the bunny cage... I have now placed the remaining key in a totally new and forgotten hidyhoo . To have a new fob coded and twinned to the car the Leaf must be towed to the dealership.
The car is in the garage, nose to the house and rear to the garage door. It is in PARK (though the parking break was not set).
I have checked the manual and there is NO information on towing the vehicle, nor is there a towing override option on the controls (not that the screen can be accessed without the key).
Service has been contacted at both my dealership and at the Nissan head office 1-800 number and neither had any suggestions other than to trust the towing company.
Unfortunately, should there be any damage to the vehicle pulling it out of the garage backward while in park, or while towing it to the dealership, there will be a battle as to who is responsible for the damage, or if the damage is due to towing, etc.
Could you please advise how to get the car from park into neutral without a key.

Is it possible to get the front wheels under a tow dolly so that it's not dragged out with the front wheels locked?

Another possibility, but might be expensive is maybe it's possible to get the dealer tech over with their Consult III+ laptop and a new key so that they can program your car to recognize it? Something similar was done ages ago w/a Prius that was stuck inside a parking structure where a tow truck couldn't get in. I wish I could find the story.

On Toyota Techstream, I believe the tech also needs Internet access on their laptop as I recall some sort of challenge, response mechanism in order to reprogram the car that requires connectivity to Toyota's servers (e.g. tech enters something, server responds with something to get to the next step, etc.) Not sure if Consult III+ has similar requirements.

I second the suggestion of some sort of flatbed dolly. As long as your garage is relatively smooth and flat it shouldn't be too hard to jack up one wheel at a time, insert the dolly(one for each rear tire) and pull it out.
Something like this is what I was thinking but I'm not sure you'd want to spend $55 for a possible one-time use....
https://www.amazon.com/XtremepowerUS-Skake-Wheel-Dolly-Bearings/dp/B017ADHN9A/ref=sr_1_25?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1471382055&sr=1-25&keywords=wheel+dolly
Possibly you might know of someone with such dollys??? or the towing company might have some?
I can't believe they'd never run into something like this before......maybe not with a EV but with a ICE vehicle where the key isn't available and they can't get to the front of the vehicle.
Another option is two wheeled jacks, one for each side but generally only one side(rear) swivels and you might not be able to jack the vehicle from the exact front area and I don't really like to jack from something like the rocker panel area, instead prefer something like where the shock or major part of the front end supports.

If you tell the tow company, they should be able to use their dolly to move the car out without dragging the front wheels. If they say they can't do it, call the next tow company...

Don't get too stressed. It shouldn't be a problem to drag the car out of the garage onto a flatbed truck, even with front wheels locked. I had to have this done once with a Lexus CT200h hybrid that would not start. I didn't realize that my grandson left the dome light on the night before and all that was wrong was a discharged battery. There was no issue dragging the car out of the garage onto a flatbed. There were no flat spots on the tires or damage to the car.

Flyct said:
Don't get too stressed. It shouldn't be a problem to drag the car out of the garage onto a flatbed truck, even with front wheels locked. I had to have this done once with a Lexus CT200h hybrid that would not start. I didn't realize that my grandson left the dome light on the night before and all that was wrong was a discharged battery. There was no issue dragging the car out of the garage onto a flatbed. There were no flat spots on the tires or damage to the car.
I was wondering about that too, probably the worst thing might be a few skid marks on the floor of your garage, for sure no tire damage as it wouldn't be any worse than a emergency stop(if you can even smoke the tires during a stop now with ABS)......

moi said:
Some time ago I lost the 2nd key to my 2012 Nissan Leaf and have not replaced it hoping to eventually find it in the fridge or a shoe box or in the bunny cage.

Before calling out the tow truck and the expense for reprogramming a new key, I'd at least check to see if it might possibly still be in the LEAF. If somebody could sit in the car while another person presses the outside lock button on each door and the hatchback you might be fortunate. I'd check each button too, since it could be weak enough and far enough away that it wouldn't work for the driver's door. Also, I'd have somebody in the car, since if by some miracle it did lock with you outside, the "law of reciprocating miracles" might kick in and the fob battery might go dead at that very moment, leaving you knowing where the key is but unable to get it.

A true story, back in college there was a guy who lost his glasses, only to find them much later in the refrigerator. He was and I'm sure still is a bit unusual.

:D FOB FOUND!!! I wish to thank all of you who so kindly shared your knowledge and offered so many excellent suggestions. The driveway is still dug out and is waiting to be paved so the car was going to be towed next week. Unfortunately, NIssan has no way to program a fob on site. The black fob was in the black suitcase lining (which had been searched 3 times) so obviously the case should also have been dumped. The first thing I am doing is to get a second fob. Never again! Happy, happy, happy... :D :D

Back