Front License Plate - 2012 Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WyrTwister

When we bought the Leaf a few weeks ago , the dealer installed a paper dealer tag on the rear .

Our metal License Plates arrived in the mail , today . I went to install them ( two ) . Installed the one in the rear , but can not find a place to install the front one ?

Help , Please .

God bless
Wyr

The car was supposed to come with a black plastic front license plate bracket. Your car might have come from a state which didn't require a front plate, or if it did come from a front-plate state the first owner specifically requested that it not be installed by the dealer. This is what the bracket looks like:

s-l300.jpg

The bracket simply screws into the plastic bumper cover, so if you don't want to source the bracket you can just drill a couple holes and mount the plate directly to the bumper cover.

WyrTwister said:
When we bought the Leaf a few weeks ago , the dealer installed a paper dealer tag on the rear .

Our metal License Plates arrived in the mail , today . I went to install them ( two ) . Installed the one in the rear , but can not find a place to install the front one ?

Help , Please .

God bless
Wyr

Your profile does not list your location. Where I am, we get two plates, but only get one tag for the rear plate. My car does not have the front plate holder on it. They don't require installation of the front plate here (at least they did not, last time I checked), so I have not bothered with it.

baustin said:
Where I am, we get two plates, but only get one tag for the rear plate. My car does not have the front plate holder on it. They don't require installation of the front plate here (at least they did not, last time I checked), so I have not bothered with it.

Technically that's not correct for Nevada. Per the NV DMV website http://www.dmvnv.com/platesmain.htm :

Nevada law requires most vehicles to display front and rear license plates at all times, except motorcycles and trailers, which require only a rear plate. You must display both plates if the vehicle is designed for a front plate or if the manufacturer offers an add-on bracket or frame.

Front plates are optional only if 1) the vehicle was not designed for a front plate and 2) the manufacturer did not provide an add-on bracket or other means of displaying the front plate. (NRS 482.275)

Nissan does provide a bracket with each car. Now how strictly your local police/sheriff/highway patrol enforces that is a different matter.

RonDawg said:
baustin said:
Where I am, we get two plates, but only get one tag for the rear plate. My car does not have the front plate holder on it. They don't require installation of the front plate here (at least they did not, last time I checked), so I have not bothered with it.

Technically that's not correct for Nevada. Per the NV DMV website http://www.dmvnv.com/platesmain.htm :

Nevada law requires most vehicles to display front and rear license plates at all times, except motorcycles and trailers, which require only a rear plate. You must display both plates if the vehicle is designed for a front plate or if the manufacturer offers an add-on bracket or frame.

Front plates are optional only if 1) the vehicle was not designed for a front plate and 2) the manufacturer did not provide an add-on bracket or other means of displaying the front plate. (NRS 482.275)

Nissan does provide a bracket with each car. Now how strictly your local police/sheriff/highway patrol enforces that is a different matter.

Only time I asked about it was when I moved here in 1997. No one has said anything about it from the day I picked up the car, so the front plate sits in the pocket on the back of the passenger seat. Enforcement is lacking here. I regularly see vehicles on the road with no visible plates.

Our state has always required 2 tags , front & back , in the past . It has not changed to my knowledge .

The dealer mailed the 2 tags & registration papers & we got it in the mail Saturday .

God bless
Wyr

Since you need to have both plates on the vehicle, you'll have to find a way to mount the front plate. I would contact a local Nissan dealer to see what the cost is. You could also check the auto parts store for an equivalent unit, or try a generic or universal device. https://smile.amazon.com/iJDMTOY-Universal-License-Relocator-Adjustable/dp/B00MRHKEBE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1469967438&sr=8-5&keywords=front+license+plate+bracket+nissan+leaf

The car is black .

Thinking about black cable ties / TyWraps , short term .

Not real happy with the idea of drilling holes in the front of the car . But that may be the way it happens ?

Thanks ,
Wyr
God bless

OP, can you update your location info via your user name in the upper right > User Control Panel > Profile tab? That way, we don't need to ask in future posts/threads or do sleuthing to deduce it.

WyrTwister said:
Not real happy with the idea of drilling holes in the front of the car . But that may be the way it happens ?

That's the way the factory bracket is installed. The holes are not pre-drilled; I'm not sure if there are even little dimples in the plastic where the holes should go.

WyrTwister said:
The car is black .

Thinking about black cable ties / TyWraps , short term .

Not real happy with the idea of drilling holes in the front of the car ...
No-drill installation I did last summer, after a San Francisco meter maid wrote me a fix-it ticket...

If you position the plate to partially block the air intake (which Nissan did from MY 2013 on) you should also get a small improvement in Aero efficiency.

I used a Styrofoam block behind the plate to hold it at the proper position, and secured it with wires pulled through the grill.

My LEAF on Lassen Peak, a few weeks ago:

Could you please take a close up photo of the license plate . And post it ?

We keep the same metal plate several years before the state changes them . Not like I would have to re do it every year .

Thanks ,
Wyr
God bless

This PM I installed the front license plate with black WireTys / cable ties ( black car ) in the center of the " grill " .

This is at least a short term solution .

God bless
Wyr

Just got a "no front plate" ticket in California on a 2011 leaf that never ever had one.

Considering tow hook:
_wsb_340x252_NissanLeafNHLPBkit.jpg

http://www.gominigo.com/Nissan.html

Or under bumper:
Mini-CooperSM.jpg

http://www.skenedesign.com/FPBracket/Choose.shtml

More:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=2743

Back