Is DC Fast Charge necessary?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbo

Hello,
We are getting a Leaf but have a question about the fast charge (30 minute to 80%) with DC fast charging. It is not standard on the model we are getting but can be upgraded.

Good or bad idea?

Thanks

The Leaf cannot be upgraded to QC after purchase. Do you need it? It all depends where you live. Check out Plugshare to see if there are any QC stations in your area (not Tesla SuperChargers). There is only one within range of my Leaf, at the PGA National Golf resort, so QC was not worth it for me. The west coast particularly has a large QC network, but many Nissan dealerships have been adding them in the big cities. Mine still only has L2 charging.
A lot also depends upon your particular usage. Most people find that overnight charging at home with L2 is sufficient, but a few have longer commutes that require a QC to get home. It may also help resell value down the road.

I agree with keydiver. In most cases L2 at home for overnight charge is enough but it all depends on what your needs are.

It would help if you could share your expected daily commute pattern (total miles, highway miles), the model year, and mileage of this car. Do you know if it has all 12 bars?

It would also help if you can update your location in your profile. Climate can play a role in the expected range per charge.

Thanks for the replies.

I live in Montreal, QC and the province is really promoting EV's and is making a green highway.

I also spoke with the hotline in Ohio who said that all three methods are available with all models and there was no additional upgrades. Is it now standard for 2017 models?

Daily commute is 40 Km or about 25 miles.

Thanks

turbo said:
Thanks for the replies.

I live in Montreal, QC and the province is really promoting EV's and is making a green highway.

I also spoke with the hotline in Ohio who said that all three methods are available with all models and there was no additional upgrades. Is it now standard for 2017 models?

Daily commute is 40 Km or about 25 miles.

Thanks

Your area is going to have a bunch of CHAdeMO stations. I would get it. It will give you options on that coldest day when you forgot to plug in the day before, or a surprise trip.

DC quick charge has enabled my '14 SV to travel over 350 miles (in one day!) on several occasions here in the Pac NW (Oregon/Washington). It has enabled mountain pass trips as well as coast trips every other weekend.

It is invaluable to make more EV trips possible. It turns my local commuter into a regional car. Absolutely love it!

We just need more charging stalls per location. and better enforcement of ICE vehicles blocking charging spaces.

Overall, I'd get the DC quickcharge port due to more Chademo stations coming and when it's time to sell, a potential customer may be looking for DC charging as a way to justify buying a degraded Leaf.

20 minutes to get another 50 miles will work for many people in the future.

QC is standard on the SV and SL models now, and only optional on the S. You wouldn't want an S anyway, because it lacks the heatpump heating system that you need in your climate. Thus the choice is made for you: if you would have been happy with an S otherwise, look for an un-optioned (aka "Base") SV.

I have a 2016 SV that has the DC port. It is a great option to have. I live a bit south of you in Vermont. My commute is from Montpelier to Jericho ( near Burlington ) 64 miles round trip. I usually use the supplied L1 brick as I live in an apartment and can't install an L2. There is an L2 a few blocks from me that I use occasionally and a couple DC Rapid charge units on my route. I find the DC port gives me flexibility. For example, it's pouring rain and I have stuff in the car and don't want to carry it to my apt from the L2 I can just go home and charge for 10 min at the rapid and get enough charge to get to work and back. It's handy too if I come home from work and need to take an unexpected trip that exceeds my current range.
The SV also as others have mentioned has the Heat Pump climate control and that makes a huge difference in the cold. I got my Leaf in April of this year and we still had many 20 F days and using the heat hardly reduced my range.
Well worth getting an SV or SL in my opinion.

gregn said:
I have a 2016 SV that has the DC port. It is a great option to have. I live a bit south of you in Vermont. My commute is from Montpelier to Jericho ( near Burlington ) 64 miles round trip. I usually use the supplied L1 brick as I live in an apartment and can't install an L2. There is an L2 a few blocks from me that I use occasionally and a couple DC Rapid charge units on my route. I find the DC port gives me flexibility. For example, it's pouring rain and I have stuff in the car and don't want to carry it to my apt from the L2 I can just go home and charge for 10 min at the rapid and get enough charge to get to work and back. It's handy too if I come home from work and need to take an unexpected trip that exceeds my current range.
The SV also as others have mentioned has the Heat Pump climate control and that makes a huge difference in the cold. I got my Leaf in April of this year and we still had many 20 F days and using the heat hardly reduced my range.

Just wait until you experience the Leaf in a VT winter. The heat pump will be worthless (the car switches to the resistance heater anyway somewhere around 25F), and the L1 won't be enough to preheat without drawing from the battery. The QCs along your route may become a daily requirement.

A few days ago we drove 180 miles (290 km) in our 2011 LEAF with ~25% capacity loss. QC was absolutely indispensable to make that drive (and many others) feasible!

GetOffYourGas said:
gregn said:

Just wait until you experience the Leaf in a VT winter. The heat pump will be worthless (the car switches to the resistance heater anyway somewhere around 25F), and the L1 won't be enough to preheat without drawing from the battery. The QCs along your route may become a daily requirement.

Are you sure it switches to resistive that high?
Like I said I had quite a few days with the morning temps in the 20s and I didn't seem to lose much range. I only heat to 70 and run the heated seats so may be I don't use the heat as much as others do. I haven't seen real cold yet so this next winter will be a true test. I'm sure a -10F day will be a whole different story.
Still not really worried. I can charge at work on L1 all day so I'm sure I'll be fine. I don't do the work charge in the summer as I would have to park in the sun. Have more than enough range now. Last winter was ridiculously warm so who knows what next year will be like.

gregn said:
Are you sure it switches to resistive that high?
Like I said I had quite a few days with the morning temps in the 20s and I didn't seem to lose much range. I only heat to 70 and run the heated seats so may be I don't use the heat as much as others do. I haven't seen real cold yet so this next winter will be a true test. I'm sure a -10F day will be a whole different story.
Still not really worried. I can charge at work on L1 all day so I'm sure I'll be fine. I don't do the work charge in the summer as I would have to park in the sun. Have more than enough range now. Last winter was ridiculously warm so who knows what next year will be like.

No, I'm not sure of the switching point. What I am sure of is that you will reach it in Vermont. I would count on the resistance heater running every morning for 2-3 months of the year.

I don't mean to imply that you should worry. I just mean to point out that having the QCs along your route will go a long way to reducing or eliminating any anxiety you may have. Hopefully it will only be for exceptional cases. Like I-89 is closed due to a major accident, and you are sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic in a blizzard.

Workplace charging is a wonderful thing too.

abasile said:
A few days ago we drove 180 miles (290 km) in our 2011 LEAF with ~25% capacity loss. QC was absolutely indispensable to make that drive (and many others) feasible!
Yep, keeps my ole 2011 able to serve too in some situations... So if the OP has access to a QC station, he likely use it at one point and avoid renting a gasser....

Sounds like your LEAFs battery is similar to mine at 211 GIDs.... I've been wondering how full I will need to be to make to Mt.Baldy from the base of the hill. I used to top off at SCE in Irwindale and would arrive with 1 bar and 5 miles on the GOM (pre leaf spy).

Now I think I'll need to top off in Claremont at the base...

Yes, when it's needed the quick charge is needed... Even when you don't need most of the time.

JimSouCal said:
Yep, keeps my ole 2011 able to serve too in some situations... So if the OP has access to a QC station, he likely use it at one point and avoid renting a gasser....
In Quebec, the OP might indeed get very good use of a QC port. Our LEAF is up to 128 QC sessions over its lifetime, and of course access to QC was nonexistent and then very limited in the early years.

JimSouCal said:
Sounds like your LEAFs battery is similar to mine at 211 GIDs.... I've been wondering how full I will need to be to make to Mt.Baldy from the base of the hill. I used to top off at SCE in Irwindale and would arrive with 1 bar and 5 miles on the GOM (pre leaf spy).

Now I think I'll need to top off in Claremont at the base...
Of course this is off topic, but perhaps it might work to QC at Metro Nissan in Montclair off the 10 freeway, then drive straight up Monte Vista to Mt. Baldy Rd. Perhaps that might enable you to skip Irwindale, depending on where you're coming from. On one occasion, we left Rancho Cucamonga with "60%" in gids, and with careful, slow driving (no freeway use) made it up to the San Antonio Falls trailhead area (around 6100' / 1800m elevation as you know) with "14%" in gids. In the worst case, if you find yourself running super low on charge, you could always park a little lower down, and extend your hike (or start from Icehouse Canyon instead)!

Thanks everybody for their responses.

As Leftiebiker said, it is standard on all 2016 models (for Canada at least)

I guess my dealer, who told me otherwise, is not quite up to date.

The brochure which I only found recently confirm it.

Jim

http://www.nissan.ca/content/dam/nissan/ca/request-brochure/en/2016/pdf/2016-nissan-leaf-en.pdf

Yes, you should have DCFC capability. Hydro Quebec's Circuit Electrique is building out a network as Tony Williams said. By the end of the summer you will be able to drive from Ville de Quebec to Gaspe.You can easily get from Montreal to Quebec City with QC stations.

Amicalement,

Paul

The switchover point for the hybrid heating system to resistance heat only is very low - about 6F. However, the heater draw becomes so high that it seems to be resistance-only heat at about 14F. At 25F the car is using both heaters, and the great range you get with heatpump-only mode is dropping noticeably.

finman100 said:
DC quick charge has enabled my '14 SV to travel over 350 miles (in one day!) on several occasions here in the Pac NW (Oregon/Washington). It has enabled mountain pass trips as well as coast trips every other weekend.

It is invaluable to make more EV trips possible. It turns my local commuter into a regional car. Absolutely love it!

We just need more charging stalls per location. and better enforcement of ICE vehicles blocking charging spaces.

Overall, I'd get the DC quickcharge port due to more Chademo stations coming and when it's time to sell, a potential customer may be looking for DC charging as a way to justify buying a degraded Leaf.

20 minutes to get another 50 miles will work for many people in the future.

I also live in Oregon and having the DC quick charge has made this car more than just an around town vehicle. I wouldn't go back but you could definitely get a ton of use without.

Back