Understanding Remote Climate Control

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulsalem

I live in central New Jersey and am considering a 2011-2013 Leaf. I rarely know when or where I'm going to drive on a daily basis so I plan on leaving the car plugged into a L1 or L2 charger at all times, most likely charging it to 80% immediately (unless that's inadvisable).

The ability to remotely activate the climate control on demand is a huge plus but I have a few questions.:

1) All I really want to do it be able to turn the climate control on via my Android phone when I need it. What app do I need to do this? Is there a monthly fee for this?
2) What's the difference between CarWings and NissanConnect EV?
3) Has Nissan released a fix for the shutting down of ATT's 2G yet? If not do we know when?
4) About 2-4 times a month I'll drive to my airport and plug my car into a L1 charger. It will remain parked for 2-14 days and then I'll have a 35 mile drive @ 70mph so I'd like to have the battery charged to 80%. Will this be an issue?

Thanks, this board is awesome!

You will run into problems with the 12 volt accessory battery if you leave any Leaf plugged into an EVSE and not charging for any length of time past a few hours. The charging system keeps checking the status of the connection, and this drains the accessory battery. AFAIK the 2G problem has not been solved, and I'll miss having remote climate control for the last part of my lease.

Whatever Leaf you get, it must not be a 2013+ Leaf S. (that trim didn't exist in the '11 and '12 model year), as the S doesn't have the TCU w/the cellular radio inside. You won't be able to control that remotely w/Nissan's app.

1) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nissan.nissanconnect&hl=en should be correct. No there's currently no fee. (I use both the Android and iOS version, but primarily iOS.)
2) NissanConnect is the new name.
3) See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=454332#p454332. I don't believe the parts are available yet and don't know of cost yet.
4) No, but after 14 days of being plugged in, the 12 volt battery might be dead. And, someone could steal your level 1 EVSE. You'll want to bring along a 12 volt jump starter pack for the 1st part, just in case. You could put a padlock thru the hole on the J1772 handle to help prevent theft, but it will not stop someone from cutting the cable.

Regarding remote climate control, I believe there's no way to set the temperature that remote CC will go to anywhere on an '11 and '12. so I believe it's mostly just remote heat.

On the '13, they added option on the car's nav system that lets you set the desired temp so that it can be remote heat or cool. There's no way to change or set the temp remotely, at least on a '13 Leaf SV.

cwerdna said:
1) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.nissan.nissanconnect&hl=en should be correct. No there's currently no fee. (I use both the Android and iOS version, but primarily iOS.)

4) No, but after 14 days of being plugged in, the 12 volt battery might be dead. And, someone could steal your level 1 EVSE. You'll want to bring along a 12 volt jump starter pack for the 1st part, just in case. You could put a padlock thru the hole on the J1772 handle to help prevent theft, but it will not stop someone from cutting the cable.

Thanks, I got worried when I saw "subscription required" so I'm glad to hear it's free.

Security isn't an issue this is a private secure parking lot but thanks for your concern. What are my options if I want a charge when I get home?

Could I set the charging end timer remotely from the App? (It's common for my return date to change while I'm out on a trip so setting it inside the car would be less than ideal?
Could I hook up a battery minder and the L1 charger at the same time?
I don't suppose I could disconnect the 12V and charge the traction battery at the same time.
Should I just carry a portable jump start kit?

I don't suppose I could disconnect the 12V and charge the traction battery at the same time.

A battery maintainer should solve the problem of leaving the car plugged in but not charging. You can hardwire it, and run the cable into the charge port compartment, so there is no need to open the hood to connect it. It is still a good idea for Leaf drivers who have unusual driving patterns to carry a car starter. I juts replaced my lead-acid UPS battery and clamps with a lithium car starter kit hat should last for years.

LeftieBiker said:

A battery maintainer should solve the problem of leaving the car plugged in but not charging. You can hardwire it, and run the cable into the charge port compartment, so there is no need to open the hood to connect it. It is still a good idea for Leaf drivers who have unusual driving patterns to carry a car starter. I juts replaced my lead-acid UPS battery and clamps with a lithium car starter kit hat should last for years.

Thanks!

paulsalem said:
4) About 2-4 times a month I'll drive to my airport and plug my car into a L1 charger. It will remain parked for 2-14 days and then I'll have a 35 mile drive @ 70mph so I'd like to have the battery charged to 80%. Will this be an issue?

I think #4 is a bad idea, and you're getting conflicting advice. You don't say how far away the airport is, but if you can't make it there and back in the Leaf, I would find alternate transportation.
You will either end up with a stolen/damaged EVSE, someone simply "unplugs" you (to use the outlet), or a dead 12v battery (and a battery maintainer is worthless and also another thing to get stolen). The Leaf will sit unattended for weeks without losing charge as well as maintain the 12v battery (as long as you don't plug it in). If you read my sig, you'll see that I also dumped my lead-acid 12v for a Lithium.

Stanton said:
I think #4 is a bad idea, and you're getting conflicting advice. You don't say how far away the airport is, but if you can't make it there and back in the Leaf, I would find alternate transportation.
You will either end up with a stolen/damaged EVSE, someone simply "unplugs" you (to use the outlet), or a dead 12v battery (and a battery maintainer is worthless and also another thing to get stolen). The Leaf will sit unattended for weeks without losing charge as well as maintain the 12v battery (as long as you don't plug it in). If you read my sig, you'll see that I also dumped my lead-acid 12v for a Lithium.

Thanks for your input. I am a pilot so driving to the airport is a regular thing. The airport is 35 miles from my house, it's all freeway at 70mph. The parking lot is security controlled and very small so I'm not concerned about getting a charger stolen.

I could have the airport staff go plug me in 24 hours before I arrive but I'd rather not inconvenience them. I like the battery charger hack, it's pretty slick. However I wouldn't do it while the vehicle was under warranty for fear of voiding it.

I like the battery charger hack, it's pretty slick. However I wouldn't do it while the vehicle was under warranty for fear of voiding it.

What "hack" do you mean? If you are referring to adding a maintainer lead, that won't void the warranty. I lease my 2013 SV, and I'll just plug the little hole I made to run the cable, with black liquid plastic before I turn it in. The dealers have never commented on it.

LeftieBiker said:
I like the battery charger hack, it's pretty slick. However I wouldn't do it while the vehicle was under warranty for fear of voiding it.

What "hack" do you mean? If you are referring to adding a maintainer lead, that won't void the warranty. I lease my 2013 SV, and I'll just plug the little hole I made to run the cable, with black liquid plastic before I turn it in. The dealers have never commented on it.

Yup that's it. Good idea, thanks!

paulsalem said:
Thanks for your input. I am a pilot so driving to the airport is a regular thing. The airport is 35 miles from my house, it's all freeway at 70mph. The parking lot is security controlled and very small so I'm not concerned about getting a charger stolen.

I made that exact same trip (my airport is 35 miles from home) until I became a 3 bar loser (even @60 mph), and then started valet'ing so they would charge my car before I returned. :cry:
Luckily, work pays for parking. Now that I have a new battery, I'm back to making the round trip with "bars to burn". :D

Back