Charging Efficiency at Different SOCs?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PianoAl

If I charge for one hour when the battery is at 20% will fewer miles be added than if I were to charge for one hour when the battery is at 80%?

For example, if there is a charge station 1/3 of the way to town (70 miles roundtrip), would it be better to charge on the way to town or on the way home? Or does it make no difference?

Thanks.

If you are to charge for an hour on a 3.3 kW charging station or faster, then you get get more miles starting at 20% instead of 80%.

There may be no difference at 3.3 kW on a new LEAF (a LEAF with 2+ bars lost will only take about an hour to go from 80-100%), but at 6 kW+ there definitely will be.

In short, if your '16 S has the charge package, you will almost certainly pick up more miles charging on the way home than on the way there. If you don't, it will be close to the same.

The charging efficiency is the same, regardless of the SOC. The difference is the charging algorithm includes a cell-balancing procedure that kicks in around 95% and slows the rate of charge while it completes the process. As such, more miles are likely to be added for a 1 hour charging session with a 20% SOC, than a 1 hour charging session with a 80% SOC, assuming you are using a Level 2 or Level 3 EVSE.

Back