Top Up the Charge??

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PianoAl

Let's say I tell the car to be charged up at 7:00 AM. At 8 AM, it's all done, and showing 100%, but also showing the time to charge is 40 minutes. IOW, it's actually slightly less that 100% charged.

I can plug it in, turn off the charging timer, and top up the charge to get a few extra miles.

Would that be a good idea or a bad idea?

Bad idea. In fact it could void your car's battery warranty. There's verbage in the manual about how repeatedly topping off if the charge level is already near-full is considered abuse and will void that warranty.

I recommend at least having one charge bar disappear before plugging back in again. That ensures the car's battery has gone down to at least 85% if not lower.

The 40 minutes remaining could be cell-balancing. It's recommended that you do this at least occasionally even if you normally don't require a full charge. The car is truly not done until all the charging lights have shut off.

The last 30-40 minute is cell balancing indeed (verified by my EVSEs reports). It's a good idea to do that occasionally if not always.

Do not top off. Even the gas stations tell you not to. :)

Back