Cliff notes version for prospective Leaf owners?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ANutt

Considering a Leaf for my wife. She drives 2.5 - 4 miles one way to work 5 days per week. I drive (actually walk most days), 2.5 miles to work 6 days. Seems to be lots of used Leafs coming off-lease around here, so interested in the car as an inexpensive replacement for a 98 VW Beetle. W do live in some hilly terrain! Metro Atlanta, so 4 definite seasons, but mild.
Biggest concern for the current vehicle and prospective new one is that most days, the car doesn't even reach operating temp for her commute, thus buildup of condensation in the engine oil, shortened battery lifespan, and shorter service intervals due to short heat cycles during normal operations. Day off trips seldom exceed 25-30 miles at the most. We have other vehicles for long trips. Curious if there is a short, sweet version of what to look for on used Leafs, including use of the leaf App i see mentioned. Apologies if it;s already here; didn't' see it. Thanks

I should add: don't want to spend money twice. We'll have to replace her Beetle anyway (with a Forester), so the Leaf will be the go-to commuter while the eventual replacement vehicle sits most days. So, other than the initial purchase price of the EV, I don't want to be replacing batteries 2-3 years down the road; defeats the purpose and screws the economics. No charging station at work.

For her ultra-short commute, I wouldn't worry about battery degradation. In fact use it to your advantage: find one that has lost multiple bars, in order to get the price down. If you're lucky, you'll find one that is on the verge of losing its 4th bar (if not already) within the car's 5 year/60k battery capacity warranty, which will let you get a brand new battery courtesy of Nissan.

For context, re: the capacity warranty RonDawg mentioned, see http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=13192.

There is a used Leaf buyer's guide at https://www.facebook.com/notes/162244573806988/A%20Guide%20for%20Buying%20a%20Used%20LEAF/1100737373291032/. I haven't read the whole thing yet but awhile ago, I did give some feedback. Also, "The only way to accurately measure a used LEAF’s battery capacity is to bring it to a dealer" makes no sense. One can make a cursory glance via the capacity gauge, but the BMS can be reset by unscrupulous Nissan dealer service departments and thus the # of bars may be artificially temporarily high.

You need to use Leaf Spy.

I suppose there has to be at least a mathematical chance, however infinitesimal, of your getting some kind of lemon 2011 five-bar-loser-just-outside-the-warranty LEAF that wouldn't make your ten miles in wintertime, after another five or six years. But I'd be comfortable with the odds.

find a 12 SL, it has seat heaters and the price is no difference. you should be able to find a 2 bar loser. the leaf excels at shot trips, set the timer to turn on the a/c before you leave for the trip. can't think of a better car for her.

If you can find a '13 Leaf S at a good price (probably with one capacity bar lost) that may give you the best commuter car. We don't usually recommend the S model to people with actual Winters, but the trip is short enough to make the heater's higher power consumption a non-issue, and the 2013 has an air-based heater that warms more quickly than the 2011-2012 liquid-based heating system, which would mean she would actually have a warm car during her commute. If you want bells and whistles, look for an SV or SL with two bars lost, but be prepared to pre-heat it in Winter if it's pre-2013. If you want a nice commuter car with a little more range, at least in Summer, get the S. If you see an early build 2013 with more than one bar lost, that may make for a lower price.

In my opinion, you are the worst candidate for investing money on a Leaf.

a) Since you drive low miles, you have no benefit on lowering your fuel costs.

b) The leaf battery, just like power tool batteries have a limited life time. Whatever way you drive the Leaf, you will need a battery replacement ($5K) in 4-5 years (if you are lucky with a used one). The ideal Leaf owner drives the car ALOT... That way you get the most use out of the batteries during its lifetime before needing replacement.

c) 3-5 miles drive WILL heat up a gas powered car to operating temperature. If you are concerned, warm up the car a bit before you leave for work. If you are concerned about impurities in the oil, then drive the car 10-15 miles on the highway once per week.

d) With a gas car, you can continue driving that car for 20 years without problems. I have a 2000 Honda Odyssey, with only 50K miles on it, and expect to get another 15 years out of my car. For short drives, a good gas car is the best deal financially.

e) With a car that doesn't drive far, I would invest in a "Battery Tender" charger and leave the 12v battery charging the battery every few days or a week. I have an original battery from 2006 in my car with this battery tender...

Thanks for the insights. To clarify, we're replacing the beetle anyway, regardless of what with. So the comparison isn't based on keeping the current setup, but on going to a new(er) vehicle for her commute and errands. In the winter, she tends to warm the car up for 10-15 minutes so it's warm inside, not for the sake of the engine. To me, this is wasteful consumption. So if her commute is more comfortable and efficient at the same time, that's a winner. If we delay the purchase of the Forester or other keeper car for a few years, even better.
The thought of paying for the car once, and not having to pay for fuel/oil/maintenance is appealing.
I typically buy new and keep for a long time, (1998, 2001, and 2011 vehicles currently (not counting motorcycles; those are toys)), so buying used isn't my favorite approach. When I do, my tendency has always been to look for the best condition vehicle, but some of you have posed some interesting points on the length of the commute and how it opens options for lesser-quality vehicles being up to the task.
With that in mind, is there a known lifespan for the Leaf batteries under normal usage?

ANutt said:
With that in mind, is there a known lifespan for the Leaf batteries under normal usage?

An early adopter by the name of TaylorSFGuy has racked up over 150k miles on his 2011 Leaf, though he has lost 5 bars (out of the 12 original). But it's still useable. His thread: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=21961

RonDawg said:
ANutt said:

An early adopter by the name of TaylorSFGuy has racked up over 150k miles on his 2011 Leaf, though he has lost 5 bars (out of the 12 original). But it's still useable. His thread: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=21961
Since electric cars like the Leaf have only been around a short time, long term usage hasn't really come up yet. Personally if I were you I'd do as Leftiebiker suggested, get a '13 or newer S model(or higher model if you really want something, like Cruise control or such). Get it for ~$10k, maybe missing a bar or two, and use it to your hearts delight.
With your short commute unless the battery totally dies(doesn't really seem to happen) you should be able to use it and have a very nice car for years to come. The battery is warrantied for 8 years for total failure which if you got a '13 should take you to 2021 and even then with your short commute should take you past that point.
I guess your cheapest option might be to purchase a cheap ICE and I though of doing similar(I also generally drive a short distance) but I didn't want a cheap econobox, I wanted a Leaf which is a pretty deluxe little car is quiet and has plenty of power. I also live the preheat feature in the winter, getting in a 75 degree car(even parked in a 30 degree garage) is sure nice :) I also like burning no gas sitting at a stop light or in rush hour traffic, kind of takes the sting off a already bad situation.

Hi again ANUTT...

My previous post was written considering that you wanted to buy a used Leaf. A used leaf is only a good long term deal if you expect to spend on a new battery when it deteriorates in only a few years. (In this case the most useful life of the battery has been used up by the first owner).

You later mentioned that you like to buy new and keep them a long time... Me too. I have 5 cars in my family, bought new, and all my other cars range from 10-20 years old.

Anyway, If you wanted to buy new, You could get all the tax and financing rebates and get a NEW car with full battery warrantee for $18-22K (depending where you live). With the low miles you drive, your battery could possibly last 8+ years or more, and you would have the benefit of no gas, and no maintenance/ repairs (of a gas car) during all of those years.

I did the same thing (bought a new 2015 Leaf S (I think the best value)), and expect to go 10 years with the original battery. I figure when the battery gets weaker, my wife will drive it local (10-15 miles daily).

powersurge said:
I did the same thing (bought a new 2015 Leaf S (I think the best value)), and expect to go 10 years with the original battery. I figure when the battery gets weaker, my wife will drive it local (10-15 miles daily).

Wait so he can expect to replace the battery in 4-5 years, but you fully expect to drive 10 on yours? This makes no sense.
I totally disagree that OP is a bad candidate for a used Leaf. Based on his commute requirements, he should be able to drive a used Leaf for much much longer than someone who is already maxing out the range.

The cost difference between a '13 used Leaf and a brand new '16 Leaf is pretty much the price of a new battery ($5K). Let's assume that your estimate is exact that a battery gets a life of exactly 10 years. For the same investment, the '13 would be due for its second battery replacement in the year 2030. The '16 would be due for its first replacement in the year '26, thus pushing it another $5K over the original cost.

The depreciation of this car make a used purchase a no-brainer for anyone wanting to keep it long-term, IMHO.

Think what you like.

Yes, I expect my New 15 Leaf battery to last 8-10 years because I know how I am with the car.

I wouldn't expect to get more than 2-3 years of battery buying a beat up lease return from 11, 12, or 13.

I see how ignorant people are by driving the car regularly to 0%, or driving 80 mph and killing the battery.

Dude, each person has their opinion, and you do not have to pick apart anyone's posts, because my opinion is based by my FACTS and EXPERIENCE with my car...

Dude, you are trying to dissuade the OP from buying a used Leaf, you can't get sensitive about someone picking apart your post to argue the opposite. That's what a forum is for. It wasn't meant as a personal attack.

There is a big difference between "don't buy a used Leaf" and "don't buy a beat up lease return." There is a lot of FUD about used Leafs. When I was shopping, even the Nissan dealer sales guy told me to not even consider a used Leaf because they only have a lifespan of 2-3 years.

I ended up buying used because the price is so low, and the amount of use I get out of it more than justifies the price I paid for it, even if ultimately I have to replace the battery. I know that my battery will never qualify for warranty replacement because it was so gently used before I bought it (2013 with 64.45 AHr at the beginning of this year).

I bought a used 2012 for 9k. 11 bars, 83%soh. In my situation, buying a new or newer leaf made zero economic sense. I own two ice's that at best get 12 mpg. I calculate that the gas I save will pay for the car at 2.5 years. The less wear and tear on my other rigs adds to the savings. So even if the battery totally fails in 2.5 years, it will save me $9k in fuel and the car will still be worth something.

I recommend an SV or SL because they have better climate control and charging timers and they allow for remote climate control. Remote climate control and other EV Connect (formerly CarWings) features are nice, but will require an update to the cellular modem once AT&T shuts down 2G service. The short commute means that you can preheat or precool on battery power without range worries (requires remote climate control because timers only function when plugged in). Heated seats and steering wheel are nice so be aware that only a few late production 2011s have the cold weather package (standard on 2012 and later).

If you get a LEAF, it will become your primary vehicle for local driving and save wear/tear on your other vehicles. Not needing to stop at gas stations and change oil periodically are two real time savers.

Gerry

ANutt said:
Thanks for the insights. To clarify, we're replacing the beetle anyway, regardless of what with. So the comparison isn't based on keeping the current setup, but on going to a new(er) vehicle for her commute and errands. In the winter, she tends to warm the car up for 10-15 minutes so it's warm inside, not for the sake of the engine. To me, this is wasteful consumption. So if her commute is more comfortable and efficient at the same time, that's a winner.

I love the climate control functions of my leaf. The car is toasty warm in winter and nice and cool in summer everyday when I leave for work.

ANutt said:
The thought of paying for the car once, and not having to pay for fuel/oil/maintenance is appealing.
Experiencing it is even better!

ANutt said:
I typically buy new and keep for a long time, (1998, 2001, and 2011 vehicles currently (not counting motorcycles; those are toys)), so buying used isn't my favorite approach. When I do, my tendency has always been to look for the best condition vehicle, but some of you have posed some interesting points on the length of the commute and how it opens options for lesser-quality vehicles being up to the task.

I can only speak from my experience. Last November I bought my 2011 SL for just over $8k with 41k miles on the clock. It was from a hot climate and had lost 3 capacity bars. It was still perfectly adequate for my commute and had a range of around 45-60 miles (depending on how I drove it). I will note that the degraded battery did affect the driving experience slightly (through a lack of regenerative braking). This would still be far more than adequate for the use you have described, and I believe it would remain adequate for many years to come.

There is no 'known lifespan' for the batteries and they are very reliable. See http://cleantechnica.com/2015/03/25/99-99-nissan-leaf-batteries-still-operation/
However the battery capacity will reduce somewhat over time. The biggest factor in battery degradation is high ambient temperatures, of which you won't experience too much in Atlanta. People on this forum get caught up in battery capacity reduction, but for a commute as short as yours it will likely remain irrelevant for many many years to come. I 100% concur with Levenkay's post (and would add that you would be much more likely to need a transmission, head gasket or water pump etc etc on a conventional car than a battery on a leaf)
Levenkay said:
I suppose there has to be at least a mathematical chance, however infinitesimal, of your getting some kind of lemon 2011 five-bar-loser-just-outside-the-warranty LEAF that wouldn't make your ten miles in wintertime, after another five or six years. But I'd be comfortable with the odds.

In my opinion you are the perfect candidate for a used Leaf, on the qualification that you plan to keep the car for at least 5 years. If you pick a good one you should have a car that meets your commute needs for many years to some. Where else can you get a top of the line <5yr old car for under $10k? Not to mention that electric is a revolutionary driving experience which in my view far exceeds the driving experience of a combustion engine vehicle. Smooth, clean, quiet, doesn't smell, no more gas stations, instant throttle response etc. I agree with speedski97
speedski97 said:
can't think of a better car for her.

Things to look for:
>A great article on leaf buying http://insideevs.com/used-nissan-leaf-buying-guide/

>For your commute you won't need or use a fast charger so would probably get the best value from a SV. SL has a few more bells and whistles. Don't get the S as you loose too much functionality and save too little.

>Judge the cars you are looking at based on battery capacity as opposed to mileage. The best way to check battery capacity is with an OBDII dongle and the leafSPY application (iPhone or Android). See http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/Leaf_Spy_Pro#Screen_1 the number you are looking for is the AHr value. Alternately for a more general indication of battery capacity look at the battery segments/bars as shown to the right of the battery state of charge gauge on the dashboard. The first capacity bar loss represents a ~15% loss, while each subsequent bar represents only a ~6.25% loss. Note that there have been a handful of documented instances where dealers have allegedly tampered with this display (the equivalent of rolling the clock back on an odometer for a ICE car).

>Buy 2013 or older to get the 80% charge option. Nissan removed this from 2014 onward due to an EPA technicality. Given your commute you do not want to be charging to 100% and this would lead to unnecessary battery degradation.

>I would look for 10 or 11 capacity bar leafs if I were you. It's painful trying to educate dealers that they are pricing a 9 bar too high given it's battery capacity.

>It goes without saying that you should do your normal due diligence when purchasing a used car - check the carfax arrange a mechanical inspection etc.

powersurge said:
Think what you like.

Yes, I expect my New 15 Leaf battery to last 8-10 years because I know how I am with the car.

I wouldn't expect to get more than 2-3 years of battery buying a beat up lease return from 11, 12, or 13.

I see how ignorant people are by driving the car regularly to 0%, or driving 80 mph and killing the battery.

Dude, each person has their opinion, and you do not have to pick apart anyone's posts, because my opinion is based by my FACTS and EXPERIENCE with my car...

I think you can disregard posts from this user :roll:

Back