Turning on Heat When Plugged In

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PianoAl

I've read that the climate control timer will set the cabin to a factory-chosen temperature, using the power from the wall.

If I manually turn on the heat or the seat warmers while my LEAF is plugged in, will it use battery power or wall power?

Battery power, the only way to get the seats or heater to turn on(other than using the timer) is to turn the vehicle ON and while in the on state the Leaf won't charge, even if hooked to a working EVSE. You need to program the timer(for 30 minutes or less from current time) and then turn the Leaf off which will start the heat or cooling and turn on the seat and steering wheel heaters if they were left on before the car was turned off.

If my leaf is plugged in AND charging...then the heatpump (2014 SV version) and the heated seats and heated steering wheel work and run off wall power.

Example of the above: Turn Leaf off, plug into DC public charger, turn Leaf on. Leaf still charging, heatpump and such all operate from "wall" power. Or in this case the public DC charger. Love the fact that the car can be on, heated or cooled, radio on while charging for 20 minutes or so.

JJeff is right though. If plugged in and NOT charging, the heatpump and such are drawing from the battery. Active charging is necessary for heating to be drawing from wall power in my experience.

And to go further...if plugged in and charging at home or other AC charging points, heat is still drawing from wall power but only if enough juice is coming from that wall.

Example: my 20 amp EVSE upgrade can pull 240V X 20A = 4.8 kW from the wall. the heater "steals" at least 3 kW when fully engaged and cold. Only 1.8 kW left to go to battery charging. YMMV.

Back