The Connector Lock and Auto-Lock

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PianoAl

Am I correct in assuming that the sole purpose of charge connector lock is to prevent someone from removing the plug from your car and putting it in their car (at a charging station)?

Sole purpose is probably the wrong choice of words. There are other uses, such as making it more difficult to steal an EVSE that might be plugged into an accessible location...

rosier9 said:
Sole purpose is probably the wrong choice of words. There are other uses, such as making it more difficult to steal an EVSE that might be plugged into an accessible location...
+1, thats what I use my lock function for on my '13, for plugging my EVSE in public outlets, maybe a little deterrent to someone stealing the EVSE.
I always feel a little exposed with my '12 that lacks that feature.

jjeff said:
rosier9 said:
+1, thats what I use my lock function for on my '13, for plugging my EVSE in public outlets, maybe a little deterrent to someone stealing the EVSE.
"Little deterrent" is about right. It's very easy to bypass the handle lock. I've done it numerous times on Leafs that were done charging that had their damned switch set to LOCK (instead of AUTO nor the middle position of don't lock) on public free L2 charging.

However, not everyone knows it. For those that didn't know it, those Leafs remained attached like a parasite.

cwerdna said:
jjeff said:
rosier9 said:
"Little deterrent" is about right. It's very easy to bypass the handle lock. I've done it numerous times on Leafs that were done charging that had their damned switch set to LOCK (instead of AUTO nor the middle position of don't lock) on public free L2 charging.

However, not everyone knows it. For those that didn't know it, those Leafs remained attached like a parasite.
When you put it that way, I probably wouldn't use the lock in a situation like that, unless I was in dire need of a charge. Truthfully other than the dealer I've never used a public charging station, they just aren't that common in my area. The best I normally get is the possibility of a 120v plug mainly meant for engine block heaters in the winter. If someone needed an emergency charge I wouldn't feel bad if they had to temporarily unplug me from a public charge station, but I would expect them to hang around and not just go off shopping......

^^^
A better way to deter 120 volt L1 EVSE theft is to use both the charging handle lock AND to place a small padlock thru the holes on the handle itself. I've done it when L1 charging in the accessed-controlled underground parking at my work.

The only way to bypass that is to break the handle or cut the lock or cut the cable.

You can put the EVSE under the hood. Someone has a thread about that (with pictures).

jjeff said:
cwerdna said:
jjeff said:
If someone needed an emergency charge I wouldn't feel bad if they had to temporarily unplug me from a public charge station, but I would expect them to hang around and not just go off shopping......

I printed this on card stock and cut it so the OK part is on one side and the "Please do not" on the other. Then, I put the appropriate side up on the dashboard.

O1UTuNF.png

I usually also put up a card next to the charging lights telling them how to tell if the car’s done.

From conversing with GM drivers (ones with Gen 1 Volt and Chevy Spark EV), they often get confused since for them, solid green == charging and flashing green == done. I’d imagine Leafers could have the same issue w/those GM cars.

And, unfortunately, for Gen 2 Volt (2016+ Volt), GM decided to REVERSE the indications. :roll: On Gen 2 Volt, flashing green == charging and solid green == done.

cwerdna said:
for them, solid green == charging and flashing green == done. I’d imagine Leafers could have the same issue w/those GM cars.

And, unfortunately, for Gen 2 Volt (2016+ Volt), GM decided to REVERSE the indications. :roll: On Gen 2 Volt, flashing green == charging and solid green == done.

That stuff drives me crazy. Why couldn't they get together and choose a standard.

I'm an author and in one of my books (Contact Us), an alien takes over Earth. This is what he says:

“Most changes will be welcomed by all. There will be no wars. Wars are hereby illegal. Anyone engaging in armed conflict will be executed. Any nation initiating aggression will be annihilated. Every citizen within its borders will die. That’ll put the kibosh on that war silliness.

Devices will be standardized. You know how some battery chargers blink green while charging then turn solid green when done? Others are red while charging, and the light goes off when the batteries are charged. Others … grrr … well, soon they will all work the same way.

PianoAl said:
cwerdna said:
for them, solid green == charging and flashing green == done. I’d imagine Leafers could have the same issue w/those GM cars.

That stuff drives me crazy. Why couldn't they get together and choose a standard
Unfortunately, the Leaf and Volt were developed independently so they decided to choose their own conventions. Logically, the Spark EV followed the same convention as the Gen 1 Volt.

A Volt fan on a non-Volt FB group I'm on claimed that GM decided to reverse their indications (beginning with Gen 2 Volt) due to the confusion w/their original convention and that most other vehicles had blinking == charging. Well, the later is true.

There's an incomplete (needs updating guide) on on charging indicators at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=307779#p307779 and transcribed at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=307888#p307888.

Fiat 500e is like the Leaf except it has 5 lights. Kia Soul EV I believe is like the Leaf, w/3 lights.

Some vehicles have no indications (e.g. Mercedes B-Class ED) or don't have reliable ones (e.g. Teslas).

PianoAl said:

I printed this on card stock and cut it so the OK part is on one side and the "Please do not" on the other. Then, I put the appropriate side up on the dashboard.

O1UTuNF.png

That's awesome! Thanks for posting.

For seasoned owners, this might not be helpful, but I read the manual and still didn't understand until I watched this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7T66_sXBXhE

Back