Understanding Charging Timer (w/out Nav)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PianoAl

I don't have my level 2 charger yet.

Today, Friday, around 9 AM I set up the charging timer to "On to 7:00," which I understood to mean that it would turn on in time to have charging done by 7 AM.

The car estimates that it will take 14:30 to charge it up. I would have expected it to start charging around 4:30 PM.

I was in the garage at 3:45 PM and I noticed it was charging.

I stopped the charging, and set up the timer in the same way: on to 7:00. Now, at 4 PM, it is not charging.

Can someone explain that behavior?

Thanks.

I don't have an S, but from chatter at like http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=274934#p274934, it looks like you can only set end timers on the S.

So, it may not start charging until it thinks it needs to (based on current % SoC) in order to stop at 7 am.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=412952#p412952 has pointers to other threads about the S trim's timer.

Right. I got that, but I was surprised that it jumped the gun.

At 4:35 PM I noticed that it is now charging. In any case, this shouldn't be an issue once I get my L2 charger.

The time estimates can be a bit wonky and a bit off. I think the car tends to err on the side of caution so that the car really will be done before the end time. So, it might actually end an hour or so early before the end time.

At least this is what I've observed when using the end timer (not much) and from the Carwings... err Nissan Connect emails indicating when charging stopped/was completed.

Yes it very much jumps the gun. I have mine set for 9am and it has yet to not been ready when I leave the house at 7-7:15, if I leave before 7 it may be a percent or two less than what I have it set for. L2 or L1 doesn't really matter, the timer is just overly cautions and is probably better than the opposite :)

Back