Why Isn't Back Up Video on Full-Time

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PianoAl

Why isn't the back up camera on full-time? I would think it would be an improvement over the rear-view mirror once you got used to it.

I noticed in the tips forum that you get the back up video on while driving. Anybody use this for more than amusement?

I used it for amusement. I didn't see any real advantage in normal driving. There's no way for a car to hide behind you.

I turned it on for fun once. It's not exactly easy to go through the radio settings on the S model to turn it on. I've already forgotten how to do it and would need to look it up again.

PianoAl said:
Why isn't the back up camera on full-time? I would think it would be an improvement over the rear-view mirror once you got used to it.

I wouldn't think so. I think the screen is too low on the dash to make it as convenient a rear view mirror. Unless you're very short, your eyes would have to divert further away from a straight-ahead gaze to look at the screen vs. the rear view mirror. Also, cameras can be obscured by grime or rain droplets; so can the rear window, but that's what the rear wiper is supposed to address.

The only advantage I can see with using a camera over a conventional mirror is if you have 3 adults/teenagers and/or large cargo in the back which would obscure your view through the back window.

Another advantage of a video mirror is if there are two or more drivers, especially if they are different heights. No need to adjust the optical mirror. And headlights would blind you.

I love having the rear view camera up all the time!

Replacing the rear view mirror with it as in the Bolt is the best (IMO) place for it.

The rear view camera is awful for distance perception, however I find it very helpful for simply identifying that a car is in a 'blind spot'.

Back