First African leafer ask specific questions

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pape

Dear all,

I am a newby in the forum. I am ready to buy a 2014 Leaf wit Premium Package, 15,000 miles, very clean, showing 82 miles fully charged.

The future location in West Africa in a country call Togo where is no Nissan Leaf dedicated service and quick charge equipment but I want to make it.

My question are :

1) how the range and the battery may evolve given the fact that the average temparature is 77 F, coolest is 64 F and hotest is 35 F for just 2 months.

2) about the charging, we use in West Africa 220 v. As the Leaf comes from the US with 110 v, can I just use a L2 charger to recharge at 220 v given that my electricity counter is 3 phases 25 amp?

3) What about the sim card design for Carwings?

4) what is the frequency of visiting nissan service to maintain the car?

Thank you beforehands.

Regards,

Pape

Battery should be fine. Probably lose about 2% or 3% capacity per year.

Yes any 220 volt service is fine. Although you need single phase so connect one hot to neutral or two hot depending on voltage. Local electrician can set you up.

No idea on carwings. Don't count on it working. More of a gimmick anyway.

Nissan? Never if you can help it. Tire shop can rotate tires. Independent can change brake fluid at five years. Maybe change transmission fluid at 150,000.

smkettner said:
Battery should be fine. Probably lose about 2% or 3% capacity per year.

Yes any 220 volt service is fine. Although you need single phase so connect one hot to neutral or two hot depending on voltage. Local electrician can set you up.

No idea on carwings. Don't count on it working. More of a gimmick anyway.

Nissan? Never if you can help it. Tire shop can rotate tires. Independent can change brake fluid at five years. Maybe change transmission fluid at 150,000.

Thanks for the response.

Why do I need a single phase given al outlets are designed for 220 v. I understood that the 3 phases have 1 neutral and 2 hots. The voltage is 220 v.

You simply need 208v-240v whether it be between a neutral and hot or two hots that equal 208-240v.
Three phase in this country is used almost exclusively in commercial buildings and is generally 3 120v hots that equal 208v between any two of the hots. It can also be 3 277v hots that equal 480v between any two of the hots but this type of power is generally only for larger commercial buildings and not at all compatible with the Leaf or any EVSE I've seen.
Note the stock N. American Leaf EVSE is NOT compatible with 220v, your best bet is to either purchase a L2 EVSE or have your stock EVSE upgraded by EVSEupgrade to accept 220v. Again plugging a stock N. American EVSE into 220v will fry it :eek:

Do everybody think that the warm climate will impact positively on the range given the need of battery heating is less? :D

pape said:
Do everybody think that the warm climate will impact positively on the range given the need of battery heating is less? :D
As said warm temps are better than cold for range but too hot will effect the battery life. Also if using the A/C all the time the range will be a bit less but not nearly as much as using heat in a cold climate.
BTW OP said he'll be importing his Leaf from the US which of course means he'd have to have the EVSE modified to work on 220v.

Right.

I have contacted EVSE upgrade and the can upgrade the 110 v to 220 v Africa.

Sounds good!

jjeff said:
You simply need 208v-240v whether it be between a neutral and hot or two hots that equal 208-240v.
Three phase in this country is used almost exclusively in commercial buildings and is generally 3 120v hots that equal 208v between any two of the hots. It can also be 3 277v hots that equal 480v between any two of the hots but this type of power is generally only for larger commercial buildings and not at all compatible with the Leaf or any EVSE I've seen.
Note the stock N. American Leaf EVSE is NOT compatible with 220v, your best bet is to either purchase a L2 EVSE or have your stock EVSE upgraded by EVSEupgrade to accept 220v. Again plugging a stock N. American EVSE into 220v will fry it :eek:

I'd say the usable range for L2 charging is higher than that. Maybe 200v-255v?

But since Togo is officially 220V he shouldn't have to test that.

He'll just need a Type C plug put on any Level 2 EVSE and plug it into a one phase socket and he'll be good.

Heck since Type C is a two prong plug I don't even know if 3 phase vs 1 phase matters. Only two plugs = one phase? ah but it's limited to 2.5 amps. Not enough for an EVSE.

I think they also use the German CEE 7/4 "Schuko" Type F or CEE 7/6 (French; Type E) plug type which is good to 16 amps. That'd be fine for an EVSE. Those are grounded plugs so I guess you'd have to watch out for 3 phase then.

pape said:
1) how the range and the battery may evolve given the fact that the average temparature is 77 F, coolest is 64 F and hotest is 35 F for just 2 months.

There seems to be a typographical error in the temperatures. Is the hottest supposed to be 135 F? Then I think the battery would be baking.

dhanson865 said:
jjeff said:

Yes I'd agree with that, I just said 240v because thats really the highest we see in N. America, other than 277v which from everything I've read is just too high for a EVSE/EV. I wish they did work on 277v, it would work much better for me than 208v(which is actually a bit below 200 under load) at work. Much slower than the 235v I get at home under full load.

jjeff said:
dhanson865 said:
Yes I'd agree with that, I just said 240v because thats really the highest we see in N. America, other than 277v which from everything I've read is just too high for a EVSE/EV. I wish they did work on 277v, it would work much better for me than 208v(which is actually a bit below 200 under load) at work. Much slower than the 235v I get at home under full load.

Teslas new version of the HPWC plays nice with 277v and can be modified to have a j1772 end on it.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/277v-new-hpwc-installed-in-oro-valley-arizona-north-tucson.69677/

I don't know of any other L2 EVSE that plays nice with 277v. Worth keeping in mind if you have a situation where it's easier to get 260-280v than it is to stay under 250v.

I have no idea off the top of my head if the Leaf or other EVs would play nice with the 277v in that situation but it's nice to know that option is out there if they would.

The buyer said he can offer me a EU 220 v Nissan Leaf charger. So the voltage is good.

Does everyone thing it would be just plug and charge?

Can a Europe 220V leaf charger be simply usable for US leaf?

Thanks for your comments.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Yes, your temperature range is good. Are you importing from US or EU?
EU cars come with a 220v EVSE since they use the same voltage as you in the EU.

Yes i am importing from US. The seller said he can provide a EU nissan leaf Charger. I hope i will be just plug and charge!

Yes, it will just plug and charge. The US L1 would blow out on 240V, you'd have to use a voltage adapter, so the EU L1 is the one you want. You may need a plug adapter for the wall socket, but the J1772 plug that fits the car is the same for US or EU. You'll charge faster on 240V anyway. That's what Nissan calls "normal" charging.

Hello mates,

Problem : the car miss the vessel of 6 june for the shipping in West Africa. Next vessel is for 21 june. As the car is not running and staying fully charged at the port, is there any risk that the battery comes down before?

Thanks for your comments.

The traction battery will lose very little charge while parked and the DC-DC converter will turn on every few days to charge the 12-volt battery from the traction battery so there is no concern. I have parked both 2011 and 2015 LEAFs at the airport or my office for up to 3 weeks at a time with no issue. Since the instrumentation shows essentially no difference in state of charge after 3 weeks, the car should be able to sit for several months.

Gerry

Back