Soon to be Leaf Owner Needs Crash-Course in LeafSpy

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bolshevik36

Hey guys more specifically I need a crash course in the metrics aspect. As I havent tested it yet and thus havent actually gone through the process of scanning the car; all I have to do is plug in bluetooth scanner into port and pair it to android phone and then just run it right? Will the free version of leafspy be enough?

Back to metrics, I get capacity bars as shown in 'gauges' are not linear. So which of the metrics like Ahr, SOH, HX, etc are most important when analyzing the actual capacity of the vehicle?

Is there a handy Ahr to Bar capacity chart or graph floating around somewhere?

Ahr=58.57 ( what is the max?)
SOH=89% (is this important?)
Hx=88.89% (huh?)

Again any info is greatly appreciated

bolshevik36 said:
Hey guys more specifically I need a crash course in the metrics aspect. As I havent tested it yet and thus havent actually gone through the process of scanning the car; all I have to do is plug in bluetooth scanner into port and pair it to android phone and then just run it right? Will the free version of leafspy be enough?

Back to metrics, I get capacity bars as shown in 'gauges' are not linear. So which of the metrics like Ahr, SOH, HX, etc are most important when analyzing the actual capacity of the vehicle?

Is there a handy Ahr to Bar capacity chart or graph floating around somewhere?

Ahr=58.57 ( what is the max?)
SOH=89% (is this important?)
Hx=88.89% (huh?)

Again any info is greatly appreciated

AHr maxes at 66.xx for a 24 kWh pack (anthing pre 2016)
SOH% starts at 100%

personally I'd look at those two and nothing else when looking at used leafs. SOH% is the one that gives you quick an easy math of the degradation and assuming you don't thing the bars are reset is the one I look at.

AHr is the one to look at if you want to figure out if the bars are reset (dealer service can reset the car to 12 bars temporarily, takes several months to return to actual value).

Oh wow so Leafspy is available in for Ipads? I thought it was Android only! Can anyone confirm this or this just other countries? Also video shows him connecting to 'wifi' while most i see are bluetooth, same process?

Also, if Ahr and SOH are best too look at, is there a proper graph/chart for Ahr degradation by yr or mileage?

This would be super helpful in helping me calculate the best option.

Yes, LeafSpy is available for iOS; iphone, ipad and ipod touch.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/leafspy-pro/id967376861?mt=8

The OBD2 dongle requirements are different though. Android can use bluetooth, iOS devices need either WiFi or specific low power bluetooth.

Rob

To continue this post in a slightly different direction: (I have an android phone and a 2016 SL.)

1. Is there a recommended dongle to use to plug into the car? Are there specific attributes you should look for in a dongle?

2. OR any dongles NOT to use?

3. I see that the dongle sticks out pretty far so one would not leave it in permanently as you are likely to bump it. I have been searching on the subject leaf spy and someone mentioned an 90deg adapter, but I saw nothing specific.

thanks.

Parts007 said:
To continue this post in a slightly different direction: (I have an android phone and a 2016 SL.)

1. Is there a recommended dongle to use to plug into the car? Are there specific attributes you should look for in a dongle?

3. I see that the dongle sticks out pretty far so one would not leave it in permanently as you are likely to bump it. I have been searching on the subject leaf spy and someone mentioned an 90deg adapter, but I saw nothing specific.

thanks.

I purchased the following to use with a '15 Leaf and Leaf Spy on a Moto X Pure running Android 6. It works fine for me and I just leave it plugged in.

http://www.amazon.com/Panlong-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-Scanner-Android/dp/B00PJPHEBO

wvleaf said:
Parts007 said:

thanks.

I purchased the following to use with a '15 Leaf and Leaf Spy on a Moto X Pure running Android 6. It works fine for me and I just leave it plugged in.

http://www.amazon.com/Panlong-Bluetooth-Diagnostic-Scanner-Android/dp/B00PJPHEBO
I have the exact same one and have nothing but good things to say about it :) I also leave it plugged in all the time. At first I did think of getting something like what I'll link, that I could turn off but so far haven't had issues with the blue OBDII adapter being plugged in all the time. I have no personal experience with this one but again it can be switched OFF.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B014MTAYK0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2FOFVDA67L13W&coliid=I3SCPR6AEQM6J7&psc=1

Hi All,
I am looking to buy a used 2013 Leaf 24kw and beeing new of EL vehicles I kindly ask a feedback to more expert users :)
Thanks in advance, erlazz from italy
---
On past saturday a met for a used Leaf car trial an official Nissan vendor.
At a visual check the car is in very good shape, it is a restitution in a "get a new car every 2 years" leasing program, previous owner got a new Leaf 30kW car.
I made then a 20 minutes real car trial at city and highway speed (few time at over 120km/h). Very funny car for me, actually I am an happy owner of an Honda Jazz/Fit Hybrid!
All OK, coming back I was looking for some diagnostic checks. The vendor is also a prepared service technician. Shown me with original Nissan instrument the battery status: no errors or warning on battery cells and very similar voltage on so many cells.
I then asked to try with my bluetooth adapter and Leafspy to see battery status: AHr=58.19 SOH= 88% 382.54V
Then I concluded on commercial issues.
I have 2 questions: is in your opinion all ok for checks I did? what about Ahr e SOH obtained battery values?
I like to proceed to purchase this unit :)

Back