Battery Capacity Warranty Start Date

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwilliams

Hi!

To calculate the remaining months for the battery capacity warranty date, which date is used? There is manufacture date and date of ownership by first owner. There is an 8 month spread between manufactured and title issued to first owner.

Thanks!

Flyct said:
All warranties start the first day the car is put in service, not the manufacture date. Also the 36,000 mile, 60,000 mile warranties start the with the mileage at first delivery date., not zero odometer.

Or at least they should.

Don't expect the dealer or the manufacturer to volunteer that. If you don't know the starting odometer and can't prove it they'll just use 0.

Is it always possible to determine the "in service" date? Buying Leaf second or third hand chances are you won't get to see the original sales contract.

CarFax reports are a good source to show the first in use date unless the car was a manufactures vehicle used by Nissan Factiry as up internal use.

For example here's a Leaf manufactured 6/2012 and first sold 12/2012
http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?partner=DLR_3&vin=JN1AZ0CPXCT023598

JR

dhanson865 said:
Flyct said:
All warranties start the first day the car is put in service, not the manufacture date. Also the 36,000 mile, 60,000 mile warranties start the with the mileage at first delivery date., not zero odometer.

Or at least they should.

Don't expect the dealer or the manufacturer to volunteer that. If you don't know the starting odometer and can't prove it they'll just use 0.

I'll second that on the volunteering part.

In the fine print, if a car has been a Demo, it is possible that the "in service date" started while it was on the dealer's lot. I don't know if there are actually any LEAFs that this has applied to, but I wanted to make sure for mine.

So I sent an email to the Nissan Customer Service. They were happy to call and ask me to call them back. Remember, I just wanted an answer, an actual date, which could have been left as a voicemail. I sent another request, asking them instead to email the answer to me. They were happy to call and ask me to call them back. I then sent another email to them, stating that I wanted the response in writing. Yes, they were happy to call and ask me to call them back. I finally filed a complaint with the BBB! It was unbelievable but Nissan absolutely would not put it in writing. And yes, then a few weeks later I did receive, on official Nissan letterhead, a response showing the "in service date."

And it wouldn't be so critical except that Nissan has taken the position of not one mile nor one minute past the warranty deadline for the battery replacement warranty.

There is so much confusion- I do know that I was told by a Nissan representative over the phone that my battery capacity warranty began on the 'retail sale' date- not the in service date. The dealer doesn't seem to know. The dates are all there, but nobody gives the same answers twice. The service writers at the dealer here don't know and don't want to know anything about the car. They don't even understand the difference between the battery capacity warranty and the battery warranty.

@emanresu : I think it's time to find another dealer!
If your car was purchased in 2013 (as your profile suggests), you still have plenty of time to act on the battery capacity warranty (if that's what you're worried about).

emanresu said:
There is so much confusion- I do know that I was told by a Nissan representative over the phone that my battery capacity warranty began on the 'retail sale' date- not the in service date. The dealer doesn't seem to know. The dates are all there, but nobody gives the same answers twice. The service writers at the dealer here don't know and don't want to know anything about the car. They don't even understand the difference between the battery capacity warranty and the battery warranty.

The Retail Sale Date and the In-Service Date are usually the same date. The date that is on the original sales contract for the first owner of the car is the warranty start date. If you did not take possession of the car on the sales date, that could lead to some confusion over the perceived in-service date, but the date on the original sales contract is the one that usually takes precedent.

The Service Department can look up the vehicle by VIN number and print out a page that shows the warranty start date. They did it for me, since I was not the original owner. That is the critical date, and it helps to have it printed out for you. If the dealer does want to service your vehicle, they likely don't have a Leaf Tech and are not certified to work on them. Find another dealer that is willing to work on the Leaf.

Valdemar said:
Is it always possible to determine the "in service" date? Buying Leaf second or third hand chances are you won't get to see the original sales contract.

Should be. I just did the live chat on the nissan website and they looked it up for me with the VIN.

Back