Determining LEAF Model

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwilliams

Hi,

Please excuse my ignorance. But how can I tell if a 2012 Leaf is an S, SV or SL?

Dealer is telling me that following features determine it as an SL, that does have quick charge, navigation, etc. but not sure if this defines it as an SL.

Thanks!

S trim didn't exist until 2013 model year.

All 2011 and 2012 Leafs in the US were SV or SL. They all had nav.

2012 SL has the CHAdeMO inlet (quick charge port on the left) standard. See http://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/19/2012-nissan-leaf-higher-price-tag-standard-equipment/ and Specs chart of http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/channels/Leaf-Press-Kits/presskits/US-2012-nissan-leaf-press-kit.

An easy way to tell a 2011/12 SL is the little solar panel on the rear spoiler. If it has a QC port it can still be an SV with the added option.

Rob

miscrms said:
An easy way to tell a 2011/12 SL is the little solar panel on the rear spoiler. If it has a QC port it can still be an SV with the added option.
Yes on the 1st part.

On the '11 and '12, I didn't think it was possible to have the QC inlet on an SV. See the above earlier URLs. (And yes, I know this changed with '13+ Leafs.)

cwerdna said:
miscrms said:
If it has a QC port it can still be an SV with the added option.
On the '11 and '12, I didn't think it was possible to have the QC inlet on an SV.

QC was not available at all on 2012 SV. You had to step up to SL to get the port.

This is a good point. I never understood why Nissan didn't put an S/SV/SL badge on the back like they do with every other model. I know the Zero Emissions badge is in the normal spot but they already put those on the front doors and could have put an S/SV/SL there instead.

Thanks! So this 2012 has a solar cell on the spoiler and has a QC, so sounds safe to assume that it is an SL?

I appreciate your insight. A little confusing when a dealer tells you what model it is and you can't see anywhere on the car or documentation.

Marc

The salesman tried to tell me my '12 wasn't an SL because it doesn't have leather seats but I showed him the original window sticker that clearly states SL as the model. Mine does have the solar panel and the QC port also.

JeffnReno said:
The salesman tried to tell me my '12 wasn't an SL because it doesn't have leather seats but I showed him the original window sticker that clearly states SL as the model. Mine does have the solar panel and the QC port also.
Factory leather was NOT available on the '11 or '12 of any trim. Ditto for a black interior.

It wasn't until '13+ that (black) leather became available as a choice by being standard on the SL trims of '13 thru '16. '13 thru '16 S and SV trims do not have leather as a choice.

LeftieBiker said:
Yes, Nissan seems to believe that options should be either Mandatory or Forbidden.
It's a means of reducing complexity and variants, esp. for a low volume car.

When I was in the market for an 02 Acura TL back in late 01, there were a whopping 4 combinations: Type S or non-Type S, nav or no nav. Everything else was standard (e.g. CD changer, sunroof, leather, heated seats, HID headlights, power seats for both front seats, etc.)

Some automakers are the opposite, NOT including a lot of stuff standard and nickel and diming for stuff that others include standard or as part of package or trim level.

We're going to have to disagree on this. What distinguishes an SL from the less expensive SV? A gimmicky solar panel and the leather interior. Making that interior available only on the SL is Nissan's way of increasing profits - not by reducing costs, because the interior is modular like the rest of the car and thus very easy to make an option, but by forcing people to choose a more expensive model to get one useful (to them, anyway) feature. If you could get that interior on the SV or S, sales of the SL would tank.

LeftieBiker said:

We're going to have to disagree on this. What distinguishes an SL from the less expensive SV? A gimmicky solar panel and the leather interior..........

At least on my 2015 the differences ($2,500) between the base SV and base SL were.
Automatic LED headlights (available as option on SV)
Fog Lights (available as option on SV)
Quick Charge port (available as option on SV)
Solar panel
Leather seats
Cargo cover

I was slightly disappointed when I had to replace the 2011 and found out the 2015 SL only came with dark interior and leather seats. I bought the SL because I was not willing to give up the other features that are only available on the SL. I wanted the LED headlights, fog lights, QC port, Homelink, and Bose sound system in addition to the standard features of the SV. Those options are either not available or cannot be ordered together on the SV. I am OK with leather, I just wish the interior was not so dark--it absorbs a lot more heat when parked in the sun than the 2011.

Gerry

Personally I like the darker interior but only in cloth, I also wouldn't care for black leather, too HOT to sit on after sitting in the sun(something I'm sure I don't have to tell you about :shock: ) Both my kids also dislike leather and prefer cloth, although leather is better for cleaning with young kids :) I also wouldn't like being forced to get leather just because I wanted a SL which is why I might rather order a SV and option it out.
It seems like Japanese companies(maybe other ones also??) like to tie leather seats to a particular trim. My wife specifically wanted leather on her '07 Pirus and the only way to get it was order the top of the line model with many things she didn't care about. In the end we bought a mid level model and aftermarket leather seats(just the leather parts) and had a shop install them, along with seat heaters on 4 of the seats(something that was NOT available factory). Cost $1200 AFAIR but still several thousand cheaper than ordering the TOL model and we got heated seats in the rear as well. I believe companies also like to tie NAV into particular models, again NAV is something I could take or leave, if I need it I've always got my phone(albeit quite a bit smaller screen).

jjeff said:
It seems like Japanese companies(maybe other ones also??) like to tie leather seats to a particular trim.

It's not just the Japanese. The American and Korean car companies do so also. And good luck trying to find a German car (other than VW) with cloth seating surfaces for the US market, even for lower tier models like the A3 or CLA. Even if the cars can technically be spec'd with cloth seating surfaces, most cars that are actually shipped over here won't have it.

For VW, their top level SEL trim comes with "leatherette" faux leather upholstery.

Is the SL interior real genuine leather? Or some type of bonded leather? I remember we had a Cimmeron where the spec sheet said it had leather facings on seats.

The salesmen usually don't know as much as Leaf shoppers who are normally tech savvy plus do tons of research. I bought my '12 to hold me over for the Model 3 but I have quickly fallen for it. Even the looks that I didn't used to care for are now special to me. If Nissan offered a decent battery up grade for us older Leaf owners, I'd have to really consider keeping my '12. I have lost 1 bar but the range is still fine for my local needs. My worry will be when a few more drop as I do have a significant climb from town to home over about a 10 mile return trip. With only 42000 miles, don't think I'll be dropping another 3 bars in 60000.

Back