Burning Smell while driving 2015 Leaf with 15k Miles

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darrlolson

Yesterday for the first time while driving down the freeway I noticed an electrical burning smell inside the car, I thought perhaps it was the vehicle in front of me. But after I stopped and then restarted the car at a grocery store, I noticed the same electrical burning smell. The smell lasted for about 5-10 miles of freeway driving and went away and only noticed smell on startup at the grocery store. Anyone have this issue?

There have been reports about occasional "hot electronics" like smell while driving. I felt it in my car on several occasions. It wasn't exactly a burning smell, so it wasn't overly alarming. If it is truly burning I'd definitely have the car checked out.

I would have that car checked at the dealer IMMEDIATELY. There is a member here whose car mysteriously caught fire on him while driving, with the origin believed to be somewhere below the shifter area (as that's where the smoke was coming from). A passerby caught video of it and posted it on YouTube (search for "Nissan Leaf fire").

That owner had no prior warning and barely had time to pull over and stop and get out.

Do you have anything plugged into the lighter? I have a 2.1amp usb (vs the usual 1.0amp) and a heated blanket in winter. They both got hot enough to melt a bit of the plastic around the cigarette lighter. I noticed a burning smell first then noticed the lighter didn't work.

I would strongly second an immediate trip to the dealer. I've got 40K on my 2013 SV and have never smelled any kind of smoke smell. Please update on us on what you find.

I have a 2013 Sv dilivered on november, and just recently (2016) I got the hot electric smell as well, I had a look under the hood and walked around the car and couldn't pin point the source. didn't see any thing clear or obvious

darrlolson said:
Yesterday for the first time while driving down the freeway I noticed an electrical burning smell inside the car, I thought perhaps it was the vehicle in front of me. But after I stopped and then restarted the car at a grocery store, I noticed the same electrical burning smell. The smell lasted for about 5-10 miles of freeway driving and went away and only noticed smell on startup at the grocery store. Anyone have this issue?

Best get it checked as soon as possible. Never experienced something like this but I heard from a friend something similar and took it as a joke. Again, better get it checked and not sit on it till something happens.

Back