2015 Battery status ???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

key5000

Hello Leafer,

I got 2 Leaf 2015 S & SV back in July and August last year and love it (very good deal on those 2)

My wife is driving S model about 60 miles per day to pickup & drop off kids from school. She is currently using FREE Quick Charge everyday.

I am driving SV model with about 50 miles per day for work. I'm using L2 charge from work.

I just got the OBDI and using it with LeafSpy, below are the readings:

S model: (7/4/2015)
- AHr= 58.8
-SOH= 94% 390V
- Hx= 90.6%
- 166QC / 21L2
- min/max= 4.059/4.076
- Voltage diff= 18mv

SV model: (8/8/2015)
- AHr= 61.58
-SOH= 99% 384V
- Hx= 95.1%
- 29QC / 230L1
- min/max= 4.003/4.018
- Voltage diff= 15mv

Base on LeafSpy reading, it seem to me that QC degraded the battery a lot (1% per month) :oops: on S model while SV still at perfect condition 99% :D

Does QC degrade look normal to you or should I bring it to Nissan Dealer for inspection?
Since this battery only carry 5 years warranty withing 9 bars, do you think will it drop below 9 bars within 5 years?

What is "Hx" mean?

Thanks
KEY

If she mostly QCs, she's probably never getting to 100% and balancing the pack. Sounds like you can't charge at home? Try switching cars someday and fully charge it at work and see if that helps.

Yes, I can charge at home but rarely because QC is FREE to charge and only take 30 mins.
Yes, it will go to 100%

My concerned is SOH on her show 94% while mine is still 99%, will it drop further any time soon due to more frequent on QC?

I doubt that QC once per day is harming the battery. The LBC (lithium battery controller, also known as the battery management system or BMS) is probably not tracking the battery capacity and health accurately because the car is not fully charged every day. You could switch cars for a week or two as a previous reply suggested or just keep driving the cars and don't worry about the readings. What climate are the cars exposed to? QC is more detrimental if battery temperature is high.

Gerry

The car is located in Southern California with current temperature at 75F

I think so too that using QC everyday will degrade the battery quicker but I don't want charge it at home as QC is FREE to use for 2 years.

Nissan warranty their battery for 5 years, if it drop below 9 bars then it will replace it.

As of now, the battery is dropping down to 94%, if it continue to dropped while I am continue using QC then hopefully it will drop below 9 bars or 75% during 5 years warranty.

Hi, I am curious how is your wife's Leaf being charged. Is it quick charged to full at the end of the day, then parked full overnight for next day? If so, that could explain the discrepancy in degradation between your cars.

As of now, the battery is dropping down to 94%, if it continue to dropped while I am continue using QC then hopefully it will drop below 9 bars or 75% during 5 years warranty.

Nissan seems to have designed the "Lizard Pack" in the '15 primarily to avoid having to replace any more packs under warranty. My guess is that abusing it would get you two, maybe three bars lost at most within the warranty period. The only possible exceptions are Leafs in extremely hot climates like urban Arizona. I wouldn't expect a new pack from Nissan.

The dealer who refurbishes EV batteries for a living told me to use the 120 volt charge every week or so to help extend the life of the batteries. Slow charging is easiest on the pack and will get them more evenly topped off. It takes a lot of battery packs to make up the grid of a 400 volt electric car battery and while a Quick Charge in 30 is convenient it is not the best charge to ensure long life of the battery.

If your adverse to your wife taking your car once a week so you can give hers a slower charge where you work then she may want to charge it once a week at a 6.6 KW free charging station while closer to home when shopping, Lots of options here and the 3.3 and 6.6KW free charging stations are more readily available than the more rare 400V DC Quick Chargers. If there are truly no free public stations around to charge at then topping off from 70% or so to a full charge once a week when at home to help even off and save the batteries is only going to cost pennies and probably come to less than $20 per year which is cheap insurance to extend your battery life.

The pack numbers in LeafSpy fluctuate over time and with conditions, so I wouldn't be too concerned on an initial reading. My '15 S was showing 92% SOH and 90%Hx just a month after purchased new in Dec last year. It had sat on the dealer lot for several months and they left it plugged in during the summer apparently. Those numbers continued to drop to 89% SOH and 87% Hx over the winter, but have been steadily climbing back up. SOH is now 94% and Hx is 90.5%. I only charge with 120V and it usually has plenty of time to balance the pack which I believe can take a little while even after the dash shows 100%. AHr had dropped into the 56-57 range, but are now up to 58.75. I expect these numbers to drop off again over the winter.

Mine is garage kept and only charges at home on 120V once it gets down to LBW most of the time. I drive so few miles around town that it's not a big deal to charge it for 15 hours every 5 days or so.

Back