New purchase, Normal Dash Range?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VenatorFox

There was a 2012 Leaf SL in my area for quite a long time due to location (Middle of Nebraska). I ended up purchasing it for 9,000 after looking at it for about 5 months.

I took it home with me for the night and charged it to 100% rather than 80% to see how much it could hold.
The numbers are much lower than I expected. Is this normal?
It is stored and charged in a garage.
No capacity bars have been lost

Outside Air Temperature 18F as of the reading. 4 battery temp bars.

37 Miles, 12 charge bars.

Turning off Climate Control yields the following estimate:
53 Miles, 12 charge bars.

From what I've read, real world will be much less than indicated capacity.
I just don't want to have had purchased a car that can only drive 25 miles a charge.
Is this however normal due to outside temperature? The LEAF is stored in a cooler garage.

• NewPurchase20151218-01.png
  • NewPurchase20151218-02.png

Update--19 December 2015
Thanks for all the responses!

Today I went on my routine commute with the car and arrived home at 40 miles. I felt uneasy because at 35 miles the GOM just displayed dashes. When I got home at 40 miles was in turtle mode. Being curious I drove in circles in my Cul-de-sac, for 3 miles. The car went into neutral and I pushed the car into the garage. I definitely do not want to get this close every day. I drove in ECO mode.

I did not have climate control on, I used the heated seats and wheel as LeftieBiker suggested.

I'll definitely go try the Leaf Spy out from the App Store as many have suggested.

From a totally depleted state it estimates 13 hours on level 1 charging, and 4:30 hours on level 2 charging to 100%. The manual however indicates 21 hours on level 1, and 7 on level 2.

Update--30 December 2015
Well, good news. I took it back to the local dealer I purchased from a couple of days ago and they towed it to the closest Nissan Dealer about 100 miles west. The Nissan Dealer there ran some tests I assume and claimed that the battery will be replaced under warranty. The Nissan Dealer there is however not certified for LEAF battery replacements, so my local dealer will tow it to a Nissan Dealer in Colorado to get the battery replaced. I should probably tip my local dealer a few hundred dollars for this.

Its quite a relief and very nice of the local dealers I purchased from to do this for me, as there is no Nebraska Law that protects buyers against used, as-is vehicles. The dmv gov website even goes as far to make it clear that right after signing, even if the car breaks down when driving home from a dealership, the dealer is not obligated to perform repairs.

Hopefully I will have a Leaf with a new battery by the end of January or February 2016! Thanks for everyones help!

Update--5 January 2016
WELL, Nissan Dealer in Fort Collins, CO states that they have charged it to full, and the GOM reads 27 miles.
They state that all 12 capacity bars are present, and that the reading is based off the driving habits of the previous driver.
Contrary to what I'm reading from the community here, they claim that in their 30 years of service they have not ever heard of it being possible to reset capacity bars on old batteries. They will not service the vehicle, they say there is nothing wrong with it, even though real life range only will last 35-40 miles, without HVAC, in ECO. They disregarded the other dealership stating the battery will be replaced under warranty.

Guess I will just need to drive it until the bars drop, which should not really take long to recalibrate according to what I've been reading here.
No bars have dropped, AHr=41.72, SOH=63%, Hx=42.33%, odo=35,836

Update--13 March 2016
1st bar dropped. AHr=41.53, SOH=63%, Hx=42.02%, odo=36,774

Also, I don't why why I didn't check/notice this earlier. The "Home" is set to some city in Arizona in navigation.
So the car was probably baking in the sun in high heat in its early years.

Update--10 April 2016
2nd bar dropped. AHr=41.35, SOH=63%, Hx=41.72%, odo=37,281

Well that was quick. The 2nd bar dropped tonight, only 507 miles later, in less than a month.
Range is much better due to spring weather. Driving in ECO, No HVAC, Economy is 4.1, gets about 40 miles from an 80% charge.

Update--21 May 2016
3rd bar dropped. AHr=41.16, SOH=62%, Hx=41.40%, odo=37,914

About a month and a half, 633 miles later
Driving in ECO, No HVAC, Economy is 4.1

Update--19 July 2016
4th bar dropped. AHr=40.74, SOH=62%, Hx=40.70%, odo=38,912

About 2 months, 998 miles later
Economy is 4.1

• NewPurchase20160719-01.png

Update--14 September 2016
Had it towed down to the Nissan Dealership in Lincoln, NE (For like $200 round trip, ugh)
They had it for a day, and asked some questions such as how I was charging it.
I told them I do level 1 charging to 80% with a charging timer.
They told me that I should charge to 100% with Level 2.
Seems odd, I thought 80% charging improved battery life in the long run.

Nonetheless, the battery will be replaced.
The battery is however on backorder, for 12 weeks.

As of today, 25 September 2016, the battery stats are as follows:
AHr=39.98, SOH=60%, Hx=39.48%, odo=40,185

You should get a bluetooth OBDII adapter and LeafSpy. That will give you all of the information you need to determine the health of the battery. hard to discern from what you are seeing in the dash.

Its called a GOM (guess-o-meter) on this board for a reason. It is based on recent driving habits, which can vary wildly. Drive it (conservatively) for a day or two and it will change, but with lower temps, it will suffer considerably with heat usage, since it does not have the heatpump of the later models.

Yes, you really need Leaf Spy, because the first generation Leafs have no accurate indicators for state of charge or range remaining. (Gen 1.5 and up have a decent State of Charge meter, at least.) I'm guessing that that highest (12th) capacity bar is about to vanish, leaving you with a fairly typical "11 bar leaf." I suggest you find the topic(s) here about insulating the heater lines and adding the ability to turn the heater right off. If you can get by driving mainly with the heated seats and steering wheel (which I hope you have!), turning the resistance heater off will add at least several miles of range. Also, inflate the tires to 40psi. If they are at the Nissan-suggested 36, they are too low, and are both hurting range and making the car more susceptible to tire failure.

Firetruck41 said:
Its called a GOM (guess-o-meter) on this board for a reason. It is based on recent driving habits, which can vary wildly. Drive it (conservatively) for a day or two and it will change, but with lower temps, it will suffer considerably with heat usage, since it does not have the heatpump of the later models.

+1 If your last ride was on the highway at 65 with heat blasting, the GOM will show you a much lower number when you start up again than if your last ride was at 30 mph without the heat on. The heater in this model uses lots of power, if you can't turn it off, at least turn it down.

Definitely get LeafSpy, you're gonna need it.

Are you charging on L2? definitely pre-heat before you drive while plugged in, you'll use less power on the road. This doesn't work very well on L1.

Always charge to 100%, you're gonna need it in winter. Your range should go up when it warms up in summertime.

Have you found www.plugshare.com? Know where your nearest plugs are.

How far do you have to drive everyday? You'll soon figure out how far you can really go on a charge. It's very common to panic a bit in the beginning.

Just curious, can you cycle to the efficiency screen and let us know what the last recorded "miles per kilowatt" average was? It might be estimating off some terrible numbers like 1.0 or something.

Wow, twelve capacity bars and such a low mileage! Something's not right. Yes, low temps (teens) will give you such a low GOM, but still it's showing twelve bars. My ten bar battery show about the same miles on the GOM (although I haven't seen teens yet this winter so I may not remember). Still it was showing four temp bars, so not really all that cold yet. I had two and three temp bars already this winter and don't remember quite that low on my GOM. I'm wondering if this is a new battery or a reset battery. That might fit. As others have said, drive it easy (in town under 45 mph) for a couple of days. Discharge to the 1st battery warning (down by the red bars) and recharge a couple of times. Then check back and let us know what you find. Remember, you got a "steal" at $9000 compared to some of us ($35K-incentives), so having half a battery isn't so bad. :eek:

GOM or not this is too low of an estimate for a car with all 12 bars at 4 temp bars, this is what I see on my 4 bar loser on a good day this time of year. Leaf Spy is a must here as others said.

knightmb said:
Just curious, can you cycle to the efficiency screen and let us know what the last recorded "miles per kilowatt" average was? It might be estimating off some terrible numbers like 1.0 or something.

It was 3.1

Reddy said:
Wow, twelve capacity bars and such a low mileage! Something's not right. Yes, low temps (teens) will give you such a low GOM, but still it's showing twelve bars. My ten bar battery show about the same miles on the GOM (although I haven't seen teens yet this winter so I may not remember). Still it was showing four temp bars, so not really all that cold yet. I had two and three temp bars already this winter and don't remember quite that low on my GOM. I'm wondering if this is a new battery or a reset battery. That might fit. As others have said, drive it easy (in town under 45 mph) for a couple of days. Discharge to the 1st battery warning (down by the red bars) and recharge a couple of times. Then check back and let us know what you find. Remember, you got a "steal" at $9000 compared to some of us ($35K-incentives), so having half a battery isn't so bad. :eek:

Today I went on my routine commute with the car and arrived home at 40 miles. I felt uneasy because at 35 miles the GOM just displayed dashes. When I got home at 40 miles was in turtle mode. Being curious I drove in circles in my Cul-de-sac, for 3 miles. The car went into neutral and I pushed the car into the garage. I definitely do not want to get this close every day. I drove in ECO mode.

I did not have climate control on, I used the heated seats and wheel as LeftieBiker suggested.

I'll definitely go try the Leaf Spy out from the App Store.

Thanks!

I may be misremembering this, but I seem to recall that you can't actually turn the heater off on the Gen 1 Leaf without a modification to the climate control - it comes on at a low setting at a certain temp on its own. Can someone confirm this?

VenatorFox said:
knightmb said:

It was 3.1
The capacity bars might be inaccurate for now (may have been reset by previous owner before purchase), but that would lead one to think it is showing about 17kW/H of capacity.

VenatorFox said:

I'll definitely go try the Leaf Spy out from the App Store.

Thanks!
Your vehicle uses the restive heating (no heat pumps available for that year model), so these two mods can help save some power and increase efficiency while driving in winter. Cheap and easy to do. Every little bit counts!

Leaf Air Dam for Outside / Re-circulation for Vehicle Cabin

Leaf Air Dam for Winter Time Vehicles with no Heat Pump

LeftieBiker said:

I may be misremembering this, but I seem to recall that you can't actually turn the heater off on the Gen 1 Leaf without a modification to the climate control - it comes on at a low setting at a certain temp on its own. Can someone confirm this?

No, I could definitely shut it off in my '12, never came on by itself. Couldn't run defrost air without heat though.

Your efficiency of 3.1 mi/kwh suggest either you had a significant headwind or were driving at 65mph or more. You will get much more range just by keeping your speed to 60 or below.

VenatorFox said:
There was a 2012 Leaf SL in my area for quite a long time due to location (Middle of Nebraska). I ended up purchasing it for 9,000 after looking at it for about 5 months.

I took it home with me for the night and charged it to 100% rather than 80% to see how much it could hold.
The numbers are much lower than I expected. Is this normal?
It is stored and charged in a garage.
No capacity bars have been lost

Outside Air Temperature 18F as of the reading. 4 battery temp bars.

37 Miles, 12 charge bars.
From what I've read, real world will be much less than indicated capacity.
I just don't want to have had purchased a car that can only drive 25 miles a charge.
Is this however normal due to outside temperature? The LEAF is stored in a cooler garage.
Unfortunately, too many buyers of used LEAFs are being surprised about how bad range can be. Nissan is again helping to give EV in general and Nissan in particular a bad name. Nissan acts like the sleazy dealer who wants to trick you into buying a car. As if the long term experience doesn't matter. Like people who buy a reportedly 100 mile LEAF won't notice when they get home that its really 25 when its only 3 years old.
Obviously, ditch the car if you can get your money back. All the pretty looks fancy interior and electronics won't do you much good if the range is that bad. Buyer beware. Need to do more research before buying an electric car and especially a 3 yr old LEAF.

dm33 said:
Unfortunately, too many buyers of used LEAFs are being surprised about how bad range can be. Nissan is again helping to give EV in general and Nissan in particular a bad name. Nissan acts like the sleazy dealer who wants to trick you into buying a car. As if the long term experience doesn't matter. Like people who buy a reportedly 100 mile LEAF won't notice when they get home that its really 25 when its only 3 years old.
Obviously, ditch the car if you can get your money back. All the pretty looks fancy interior and electronics won't do you much good if the range is that bad. Buyer beware. Need to do more research before buying an electric car and especially a 3 yr old LEAF.
+1 To This. I've saved many friends and family from making the exact same mistake. They still bought a Leaf, but they knew exactly what they were getting and were happy with it. Knowledge is power for people.

Back