2015 Noise Maker

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pncguy

I have read about the noise maker on the Leaf, but I'm still not sure what it sounds like. On my 2015 SV I hear a very high pitched whine when I'm going slowly. I don't know if this is the "Noise Maker" or if this is just the electric motor whine.

Anybody have definitive knowledge?

pncguy said:
I have read about the noise maker on the Leaf, but I'm still not sure what it sounds like. On my 2015 SV I hear a very high pitched whine when I'm going slowly. I don't know if this is the "Noise Maker" or if this is just the electric motor whine.

Thanks for asking this. I've also wondered what special noisemaker is present and what it's supposed to sound like. I didn't think it was the high pitched whine as that wouldn't be very noticeable to a pedestrian. The reverse beeping sound is noticeable, but I can't hear anything else.

I wondered about this, too, but my 2011 has a button that lets me turn it off so I can compare. Something that might work is to come to a full stop, wait until everything is quiet, and then let it creep forward a few inches, and stop it again. This works best in a garage where it is quiet and the sound is reflected back. I can hear the sound start up and stop again, and not particularly synchronized to the motor. Having said all that...

You are correct that it sounds a lot like the inverter whine. I wasn't even sure which was which, originally.

You are correct that it is not very loud, and,

You are correct that pedestrians don't hear it. I have pulsed it off and on and they still don't notice. But most of them ignore gas cars as well, so what do you expect? I just make it a point not to run anyone over :)

I'm pretty sure the high pitched whine is brake regen. I know this only because my Prius makes the exact same sound.

pncguy said:

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jan/01/business/la-fi-electric-car-noise-20110101

According to the article, a lot of effort and thought went into the sounds.

EVforRobert said:
http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jan/01/business/la-fi-electric-car-noise-20110101

According to the article, a lot of effort and thought went into the sounds.

Wow! Thanks for the link to the article. That is fascinating. I am amazed at how much thought went into it.

I think the high pitched whine I hear IS the noise maker because I hear it when I am almost not moving when starting. There is no regen going on then!

It's coming,

https://www.nhtsa.gov/About-NHTSA/Press-Releases/nhtsa_quiet_car_final_rule_11142016

Foschas said:
It's coming,

https://www.nhtsa.gov/About-NHTSA/Press-Releases/nhtsa_quiet_car_final_rule_11142016

Thanks for posting that. Looks like the 50% compliance date is Sept 1, 2019. Unlike the current LEAF VSP, sound will also be required even when the vehicle is stationary, On, and not in Park. An override switch will not be permitted.

Imagine a seven lane intersection with cacophony of pedestrian alert "idle" tones. Maybe the industry could pick tones all from the same major seventh chord or something so it's not a dissonant mess.

The NHTSA site says the full compliance date is September 1, 2019 so the 50% compliance would be 2018. It also says audible while moving in forward or reverse so there may not be a requirement for sound while stationary. I will not buy a car that makes unnecessary sound while stopped unless I know what wire to cut.

From page 9 of:
http://www.nhtsa.gov/staticfiles/rulemaking/pdf/QuietCar_FinalRule_11142016.pdf

The NPRM proposed that each hybrid and electric vehicle must meet minimum sound requirements anytime the vehicle’s propulsion system is activated, including when the vehicle is stationary. The final rule requires each hybrid and electric vehicle to meet minimum sound requirements any time the vehicle’s propulsion system is activated, including when the vehicle is stationary, unless the vehicle’s gear selector is in the “park” position or the parking brake is applied (the latter for HVs and EVs with manual transmissions).

The document is actually an interesting read.

GerryAZ said:
The NHTSA site says the full compliance date is September 1, 2019 so the 50% compliance would be 2018. It also says audible while moving in forward or reverse so there may not be a requirement for sound while stationary. I will not buy a car that makes unnecessary sound while stopped unless I know what wire to cut.

It is interesting that the summary on the NHTSA web site mentions "while moving in forward or reverse" and the actual final rule requires sound if vehicle is not in "park". I don't know how the sound level of the noise makers in the 2011 (which had a disable switch) or the 2015 LEAF (no way to turn it off) compare with the required sound level in the new standard, but I have seen no evidence in the 80,000+ miles I have driven that pedestrians or bystanders notice the sound from the LEAFs.

It will be interesting to see if drivers start shifting to park while stopped at traffic lights to avoid listening to the sound.

Gerry

Back