How to connect a charge cable without charging and how to set timer?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanxushen

Are I stupid?

By reading the manual, I did not find a way connecting the charging cable without charging (assume the timer is not set, and the charging source did not have a switch).

2nd, while set the timer for Wed for example, I want it start at 7PM and finishes at Thursday Morning at 7AM. I am confused about the day of the week that I should assign. I should assign the day to Wed or Thursday or both?

seanxushen said:
Are I stupid?

By reading the manual, I did not find a way connecting the charging cable without charging (assume the timer is not set, and the charging source did not have a switch).

2nd, while set the timer for Wed for example, I want it start at 7PM and finishes at Thursday Morning at 7AM. I am confused about the day of the week that I should assign. I should assign the day to Wed or Thursday or both?
L1 or L2? If using the evse that comes with the car it could very well take 12 hours depending on your soc ( 12 hours x 1500 w/hr = 18kwh total) If using L2, just set the end time for 7am Thursday and the car will guess when to start the charging cycle to achieve 100% by 7am, or just set the start time for say 5am Thursday and it will be less than 100%.

ElectricEddy said:
seanxushen said:
Are I stupid?

L1 or L2? If using the evse that comes with the car it could very well take 12 hours depending on your soc ( 12 hours x 1500 w/hr = 18kwh total) If using L2, just set the end time for 7am Thursday and the car will guess when to start the charging cycle to achieve 100% by 7am, or just set the start time for say 5am Thursday and it will be less than 100%.

How about Level1? :D

seanxushen said:
ElectricEddy said:
seanxushen said:
Are I stupid?

The evse that comes with the car ( the little black bag in the rear compartment) IS level 1.

ElectricEddy said:
seanxushen said:
ElectricEddy said:

The evse that comes with the car ( the little black bag in the rear compartment) IS level 1.

My goodness, my question is if L1 charger which would charge over 12 hours, how to set the timer. I have read one post saying the end timer will not work if passed end time but not fully charged. Another post said the end timer will work regardless if it has been fully charged.

My question remains as how to set timer start at Wed evening and end by Thursday Morning.

If you want charging to start at 7:00pm on Wednesday and stop at 7:00am on Thursday, you need to set the timers as follows:
Timer 1 start 7:00 pm
Timer 1 stop 7:00 am
Enable Timer 1 for Wednesday

The above instructions apply to all SV and SL models. The 2013 and newer S models only give the option of setting end time (car determines start time based upon state of charge).

If the battery is low and you charge on L1 (120 volts using the EVSE from the black bag), the battery will not be fully charged when charging stops at 7:00 am on Thursday.

^^^
Above sounds correct.

If you plug in after 7 pm, make sure it starts. I don't know use the timers much, esp. not the start timer, but I believe it might bite you and not start if plug in after 7 pm on Wednesday. Or, can this quirk only happen if there's no end timer set? (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=91295#p91295)

And, yes if the battery's starting state of charge is very low, 12 hours is insufficient to reach 100% at level 1. About 1.1 kW makes it out of the wall into the battery at level 1. New Leaf has about 21-22 kWh usable battery capacity, So, assuming linear charging rate (it's not in the last hour near 100%), 22 kWh / 1.1 kW = 20 hours.

seanxushen said:
Anyone want answer my 1st question?
Which is? Seems like GerryAZ answered what you're asking about.

When he says "Enable Timer 1 for Wednesday", I interpret that to mean for the days screen, to set Wednesday to timer 1.

Why don't you just try it? What are your reasons for starting at 7 pm and ending at 7 am? Is it due to your electric schedule (e.g. PG&E EV-A)? Is there are target state of charge % you're aiming for? It sounds like you can only charge at level 1 at home.

If you want to hit 100%, you will need to charge as long as the car needs to reach that, which might be over 12 hours and thus you might have to adjust the timers or ditch one of them.

If it's "By reading the manual, I did not find a way connecting the charging cable without charging (assume the timer is not set, and the charging source did not have a switch)." Correct. It will attempt to charge unless you have a timer set. If you're at 100%, it will stop after not too long.

cwerdna said:
seanxushen said:
Which is? Seems like GerryAZ answered what you're asking about.

When he says "Enable Timer 1 for Wednesday", I interpret that to mean for the days screen, to set Wednesday to timer 1.

Why don't you just try it? What are your reasons for starting at 7 pm and ending at 7 am? Is it due to your electric schedule (e.g. PG&E EV-A)? Is there are target state of charge % you're aiming for? It sounds like you can only charge at level 1 at home.

If you want to hit 100%, you will need to charge as long as the car needs to reach that, which might be over 12 hours and thus you might have to adjust the timers or ditch one of them.

If it's "By reading the manual, I did not find a way connecting the charging cable without charging (assume the timer is not set, and the charging source did not have a switch)." Correct. It will attempt to charge unless you have a timer set. If you're at 100%, it will stop after not too long.

Yes, I was asking how to plug in the charging cable without charging.

seanxushen said:

Technically your first question was "Are I stupid?"

Someone could take a stab at answering that for you, but you might not like it. ;)

seanxushen said:

I can't believe someone didn't answer this simple question!
The answer is: if no timers are set, the car will start charging immediately upon being plugged in.

Stanton said:
seanxushen said:

I can't believe someone didn't answer this simple question!
The answer is: if no timers are set, the car will start charging immediately upon being plugged in.
Taking another swing at the dead horse, it sounds to as if the OP wants the car NOT to change immediately on connection. That's the behavior you get when a charging timer is active when you plug in. So, set a timer.

So if I have a timer set to charge nightly at 2 am then I happen to plug in in the middle of the day, it won't do anything?

Jefe said:
So if I have a timer set to charge nightly at 2 am then I happen to plug in in the middle of the day, it won't do anything?
2 am set for what? Start time or end time?

If it's the start time and you plug in before 2 am, it will not begin charging until 2 am.

Jefe said:

Not unless you press the timer override button when you plug in. If you do that, it will charge immediately.

LeftieBiker said:
Jefe said:

Not unless you press the timer override button when you plug in. If you do that, it will charge immediately.
Wow. Really glad I read this. I would be wondering why my car didn't charge tomorrow at work!

Back