Will this charging station (EVSE) fit a Leaf port?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metamorphic

I just started a new job and there's a free EV charging station in the parking lot. I never see anybody using it, but if you push the button it beeps so I guess it has power. I'm considering a used Leaf as the pay-off time would be exceptionally short with free "fuel". But the charging plug does not look like the model I see in most pictures. I'm wondering if the car can be adapted or if there's a dongle adapter for this style charger? Also, what kind of charging performance (time) would this kind of unit deliver?

Not sure how to post pictures, so here's a link to a screen cap of the charger and plug.

http://screencast.com/t/VtH99nSynO

That looks like a pre-2010 shape from before the modern J1772 standard that Leafs use. anyone?

A charging station near me used to look just like that. I believe it can only charge the older RAV4 EV. A bunch of us South Florida Leaf owners happened to go to an EV-builder's meeting in Delray shortly after they started delivering Leafs here in Florida, and I happened to mention that station. By chance, a guy was there that worked for the company that maintained it, and he told me it was on the list to have it converted to J1772. A few months later, he converted it, and I have used it 5-6 times since then.
My suggestion is to find out who maintains it, or whose network it is part of, and see if they can upgrade it. Where are you located?

According to the maintenance manual, the charger is J1772 compliant. The owner of the charger could (in theory) replace the cord/plug with a standard one to charge today's EVs.

http://www.evchargernews.com/miscfiles/evii/ics200ug.pdf

Thanks for the info. There's some contact info in the box. Maybe I'll try to see if I can get them to upgrade.

Regardless of whether or not I can access free power, the leaf would still probably be a good idea. There are 4 drivers in the family and on any given day the leaf mission profile would fit at least 2 of us.

http://www.tzev.com/j1772_avcon_head_connector_conversion.html

Someone has done the conversion on that specific model. Apparently the J1772-2001 standard (aka Avcon, the one on your ICS-200 EVSE) is exactly the same as the J1772-2009 standard on the LEAF and other current EVs.

Its kind of surprising that nobody makes dongle style adapters. The female for the old plug on one end, about 4 feet of cable, then the male version that goes into the plug.

Not a lot of female avcon ports available, although some did make such an adapter. Most of the cars that could use that station have since been crushed. :|

The original RAV4 EV used small paddle inductive, outside of a few prototypes which had conductive charging with a non-standard yazaki connector (and at least one even had CHAdeMO!).

Back