2011 new owner in hawaii

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grandizer52

Greetings,
Steve here on Oahu. after (to much) research, I got a used 2011 Leaf. after my first weekend of driving seems some questions have come up. the previous owner says the drivable mileage is inaccurate. at a full charge it says 65, and I have 10 bars...is that bad?
Also what charger would everyone recommend? I'm doing some research, seems like higher $500. is the norm, don't need texts or alerts to go unplug. the free parking is nice, but aggravating when highbred owners are charging when they have an internal combustion engine, I was down to 3 bars and a guy with a volt took the thing...oh well, so any insight pros and cons is always welcome. if your in Hawaii, I'd love to hear from you.

steve

10 bars is pretty typical for a 2011 in a warm climate. If the range (that estimate is just a wild guess on the car's part) is enough for you, then don't worry about it. Clipper Creek makes good, simple, inexpensive ($400 and up) US-made charging stations. And there is another Hawaiian Leaf driver here. I forget his name, though - hopefully he'll see this topic.

I live in Keaau on the Big Island. My 2011 has 11 bars and 23K mi. I would have the EVSE that came with the car upgraded via www.evseupgrade.com. That is all I have ever used. I will sometimes charge for free at Target or Home Depot here in Hilo.
At ten bars you will be good for 60 +/- mi. around Oahu. You should check where the free chargers are around you.

PV systems are a must if you have the building and the money. That way you electric bill is very manageable and charging Leaf is free.
Welcome to the end of the world.

Hea guys thanx for the follow up, I'm at 9 bars. I have a 220v charger coming, I also made some adapters from nema 6-50 to various so I can plug into other 220 sources friends drier, and what not. also I carry the OEM charger cause some places have a 110 outlet. I came in for duty and needed juice was at 17 miles. well look vending machines right at the duty guys parking. and I have to stay put for hours, it's ten miles from home. one thing I love is cause the car is quiet, not interruption to the music. also I've had 10 jeeps and just don't enjoy working on them.

Back