I grew tired of my '08 Prius, now I Leaf it around town!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KK6PD

Hello All, Newbie KK6PD here, Pat Sullivan, I grew weary of my '08 Gen II Prius, got a not bad trade in, and rolled out with a used 2014 leased Leaf SL with 10k miles on it! Sweet, now i am the second owner and plan to enjoy the hell out of this thing! First mod, a 220 wall chagr, I already have a 7.5kW Solar system on the house...nice to charge the Lef from the Sun!
I was a very active member of Priuschat.com for 8 years, I had great fun, met some sharp & dull folks. All in All, a very positive experience. I hope to have the same impact here, and am looking forward to starting reading ALL of the posts, starting with #1 and catch up to you all. there will be times I may pop into a thread with a question, hope that's cool, I',m just looking to contribute, and answers!!

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

:mrgreen:

Congrats on the upgrade! Driving a Leaf on sunshine is truly wonderful.

You will find this site to be most informative. Have fun.

KK6PD said:
Hello All, Newbie KK6PD here, Pat Sullivan, I grew weary of my '08 Gen II Prius, got a not bad trade in, and rolled out with a used 2014 leased Leaf SL with 10k miles on it! Sweet, now i am the second owner and plan to enjoy the hell out of this thing! First mod, a 220 wall chagr, I already have a 7.5kW Solar system on the house...nice to charge the Lef from the Sun!
I was a very active member of Priuschat.com for 8 years, I had great fun, met some sharp & dull folks. All in All, a very positive experience. I hope to have the same impact here, and am looking forward to starting reading ALL of the posts, starting with #1 and catch up to you all.

Welcome! I'm pretty sure I met you at the Priuschat meet in Irvine in 2012 (http://priuschat.com/threads/so-cal-september-meet-dim-sum-irvine-sun-09-30-12.113968/) when I was down the for Alt Car Expo.

There are a couple Priuschat regulars/former regulars over here and/or have migrated to the EV world.

cwerdna said:
There are a couple Priuschat regulars/former regulars over here and/or have migrated to the EV world.
Indeed there are many former Priuschat members here. I too have parted with my '08 Prius and bought a LEAF although I still hang on the list there a bit and still run the PriusChat fantasy football league (but I think for the last year). I miss my Prius. I kept both of them for awhile but given I had no place to park a third car (except on the street) and the wife would not part with her Honda Fit, I had to let it go. But the LEAF sure does help ease the pain :D Welcome KK6PD

Hello, still have my prius and a leaf, so I also bounce back and forth between the two sites. . this one is antiquated and close to a ghost town compared to the prius site though. enjoy your new leaf, we love ours . (plspush)

cwerdna said:

Hey, I think I'm in that club too!!

I even remember the Prius Online forum, with DanMan32 and a bunch of other great people! We even had one of the first Prius "shows" over in St. Petersburg in about 2005 or so, a great time. cwerdna is also in the great people category, as he has helped many, many people on the PriusChat forum, and was also over on Prius Online too .

I never did announce on PriusChat that I was selling my Prius, which was surprisingly very upsetting to some, probably because we kept it as it had the Hymotion 5kw kit installed several years ago. We're averaging about 93 mpg in it. :oops: Now, what is really upsetting is that on the rare occasions it needs filling, I usually get gas in cans for the Prius when I'm out driving the LEAF, but it just seems so wrong.

Along the way I actually had an S10EV, which regrettably was sold without ever finding a suitable PbA battery to install, and the money used toward the purchase of a 2011 (Demo) Leaf, which we've loved since we bought it.

sub3marathonman said:
Now, what is really upsetting is that on the rare occasions it needs filling, I usually get gas in cans for the Prius when I'm out driving the LEAF, but it just seems so wrong.

I bet you get a lot of strange (if not hostile) looks from people when they see you pull up to the pump in a Leaf.

RonDawg said:
sub3marathonman said:
Now, what is really upsetting is that on the rare occasions it needs filling, I usually get gas in cans for the Prius when I'm out driving the LEAF, but it just seems so wrong.

I bet you get a lot of strange (if not hostile) looks from people when they see you pull up to the pump in a Leaf.

Actually, no! Not one person even glanced twice AFAIK. I'll have to pop the charge port cover next time and do the Homer Simpson "D'oh!" :D

RonDawg said:
sub3marathonman said:

Certainly around here, no one would bat an eye. That's because the majority of people have zero clue that cars exists which require zero gasoline. And those that know about BEVs think they're just for those crunchy Californians. Certainly none of those cars are on the roads in Central NY.

Hey, cwerdna, yes my friend I remember you, I see there are indeed several other familiar names from days gone by at Prius Chat. I thought they had a Leaf subsection, but can't seem to find it. oh well!
Just signed up with Chargepoint. The Disney folk have outright bought many Chargepoint systems and are slowly populating it's parks, and thankfully the Hollywood lot I work on with Level II chargers! We also have a program where we are given a buck a day every day we EV it into work, Nice, helps pay off the low employee cost to refill the battery. I have contacted the EVSE upgrade guy in SF. I am on vacation, stay at home and fix stuff, spoke with him this afternoon. He will have it on Monday, and hope to have it back to me on Wednesday. I'm in LA so yeah no problem!
Sorry I have not made it back here sooner. I actually had to work at work, yeah, go figure, first time for everything in 38 years there.....
an 11 bay edit system, with Fiber Optic interconnects they are shuttling so much data. I love making Fiber Stuff.... It's all in the training and tools. The team i am part of kicked butt. It looks GOOD!
Now back to the Leaf thing... I am starting at the beginning of each thread, I'll catch up ... gimme a couple of weeks!
cwerdna, nice you are here, I always likes your posts.

Thanks for the compliments! :)

It is too bad that PriusOnline seemed to go downhill. I don't visit there anymore. It almost seems partly by luck that Priuschat became *the* place to go re: the Prius.

I have pulled up to the pump several times in my Leaf, usually to either wash my windows or check for something under the light at night. Usually, nobody says anything nor gives me a funny look. But, one time when visiting a gas station w/my Leaf to use their air pump, one guy kinda laughed and wondered if I was confused.

I have pulled up to the pump several times in my Leaf, usually to either wash my windows or check for something under the light at night. Usually, nobody says anything nor gives me a funny look. But, one time when visiting a gas station w/my Leaf to use their air pump, one guy kinda laughed and wondered if I was confused.

That's on the "Left Coast." Imagine the level of indifference here in Red Upstate NY...

LeftieBiker said:

That's on the "Left Coast." Imagine the level of indifference here in Red Upstate NY...

We have our "red" counties here in "crunchy" California too; they actually outnumber the blue ones. It's just that the blue ones are where the majority of the people live.

RonDawg said:
LeftieBiker said:

We have our "red" counties here in "crunchy" California too; they actually outnumber the blue ones. It's just that the blue ones are where the majority of the people live.

From looking at maps after election day, I feel like this is true in all states. Even the bluest of blue, like CA, and NY, are more red by area. They are just more blue by population. On the other hand, many red states are actually blueish (purple?) in and around large cities.

Welcome! The LEAF is orders of magnitude more fun to drive than the Prius, not to mention that hanging out at the gas station isn't really how I like to spend my time. Any plans for a ham radio for the Leaf?

Hi there, well yeah. The Nissan is built one helluv lot tougher than the Prius. Getting into the existing wiring channels is not nearly as easy as the Toyota's are! My first step, a Personalized cal plate. It's it the '60;s scheme, black plate with Yellow letters.. It will read ,... "KK6PD EV"
Next will be the install of the 2 way radio... when I go for it I will make a thread on the install! We also have other toys, we will see what makes it back into the car.

Side note, the first thing I did put back into operation was the Dash Cam. I have a Garmin 200 Dash Cam, it works great! small, simple, good quality video! It's gonna save my butt some day! ;)

its about time you wised up!! ;)

all kidding aside; the Prius was great for what it is but it simply wasn't enough. Welcome to the forum!

Dave, how have you been? Yes, after 8 years, I did not want a Gen IV. This was a good deal that I impulsed into. Got a great trade in on the 08 Gen II, so I jumped! What's not to love. I am spending hours reading EVERY post, just like at PC, before I open my mouth more freely. I'm learning the leaf!

KK6PD said:
Dave, how have you been? Yes, after 8 years, I did not want a Gen IV. This was a good deal that I impulsed into. Got a great trade in on the 08 Gen II, so I jumped! What's not to love. I am spending hours reading EVERY post, just like at PC, before I open my mouth more freely. I'm learning the leaf!

Read my blog. I post my experiences quite a bit. latest entry was a 140 mile roundtrip to see the Falls (after a heavy rain, the spectacle is very impressive!)

http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com/2015/11/snoqualmie-falls.html

But seriously, I am one month away from 2 years on my 2nd 3 year lease. I would not do it any other way. Why lease? Simple answer; a 90 mile range LEAF is not something I am interested in buying. Besides, leasing was simply too cheap to pass up. I got 15,000 annual miles, S with quick charge. $245.75 a month with zero down. In fact, I even got a refund check from the dealer for like $140ish or so... So they essentially paid me to take the car!

But chapter 3 might be different. Lease ends Dec 23rd, 2016 and I might be in the market to buy although I strongly suspect the car I want to buy won't be available until Summer 2017 so might have to extend a bit...

Dave, let me guess, Tesla Model 3. Set for summer '17! That's wht I have my eye on. I wanted to try electric, this was a good step for me!
So far, NO REGRETS!!!
I like that!\
:mrgreen:

Back