TPMS and new set of winter tires.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lemob

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone knows or experience when you purchase a new set of wheels and tires for winter and did not purchase a new set of TPMS for it. What kind of warnings do you really get.

In the manual, I know it displays that TPMS warning (looks like tire icon). You get a message on the dash stating "Check Tire pressure". Are these two the only lights that gets lit up?

Does the Master warning light (the one on left upper display) also comes on? If it does, does it go off after about one minute (same time Check Tire Pressure" message goes off?

One last question, is there a way for us (regular users) to program new TPMS other than going to the dealer each time or buying the expensive TPMS programming tool ?

Just put winters back on.

Yes it's those two lights the yellow triangle it and the low tire pressure one. They blink for a few seconds on start up then just stay solid. After about a week we don't notice them :) I wish you could tell the car to ignore that error. I just can't get myself to spend another $400 for additional sensors for the snows.

Just remember to actually check the tire once in a while since the car can't do it anymore.

You can reset the TPMS with LeafSpy pro, not sure if you can with the free version, either way the pro version is the least expensive way to do it and gives you so much more useful information as well.

Thanks for confirming.
Having all those lights is going to drive me crazy. I am able to live with one in my subaru, but I think having 2 lights and that message is too much. I looked around and the TPMS that can be cloned is about $250 for me. I think I'll have to go that route for my sanity.

There are cheaper standard ones but that means going to the dealer for programming each time. I have the leaf spy pro and it only allows you to register existing TPMS ids. If I have new ones, you need to use a reset tool or visit the dealer.

BrockWI said:

Yes it's those two lights the yellow triangle it and the low tire pressure one. They blink for a few seconds on start up then just stay solid. After about a week we don't notice them :) I wish you could tell the car to ignore that error. I just can't get myself to spend another $400 for additional sensors for the snows.

Just remember to actually check the tire once in a while since the car can't do it anymore.

You can reset the TPMS with LeafSpy pro, not sure if you can with the free version, either way the pro version is the least expensive way to do it and gives you so much more useful information as well.

I understand, I am usually one of those people who can't stand warning lights on, but for some reason, maybe it's the soft yellow, I can live with it, that and know the $ it's saving me :)

lemob said:
Thanks for confirming.
Having all those lights is going to drive me crazy. I am able to live with one in my subaru, but I think having 2 lights and that message is too much. I looked around and the TPMS that can be cloned is about $250 for me. I think I'll have to go that route for my sanity.

There are cheaper standard ones but that means going to the dealer for programming each time.
You can buy replacement TPMS sensors for as little as $128/set from Titan:
http://www.titantpms.com/tpms/nissan-leaf-tire-pressure-sensors
Any good tire shop should be able to install and register them to the car. No need to go to the dealer. I had a $160 set of their sensors in the track tires for my Porsche, installed by Discount Tire, and they worked fine. Is Nissan somehow more particular than Porsche about what TPMS sensors you use? I doubt it. AFAIK, they just have to broadcast the signal at the correct 315MHz frequency for the car.

TT

lemob said:
Thanks for confirming.

There are cheaper standard ones but that means going to the dealer for programming each time. I have the leaf spy pro and it only allows you to register existing TPMS ids. If I have new ones, you need to use a reset tool or visit the dealer.

BrockWI said:

I bought used Nissan ones on Ebay, about $75 shipped and used leaf spy to register them no problem.

minispeed said:
lemob said:
I bought used Nissan ones on Ebay, about $75 shipped and used leaf spy to register them no problem.

Hi,
do you mind sharing the ebay link which one of the TPMS you got? I didn't know you can actually register new TPMS IDs with Leaf spy. That's great news.

I also have Leaf Spy Pro. Can it be used to swap snow tires from a '12 to a '13 Leaf?

Sensors should be similar?
I've looked at the TPMS page on the app, but not really seeing how to accomplish this.

Hope it's OK to jump in on the ops thread. Topic is timely.

Does anyone know if 2012 and 2015 leafs have the same sensor? The link to titan only shows sensor products for 2011 and 2012 model year leafs.

I am looking for 2015 sensors so any other mfg would be fine too.

ttweed said:
lemob said:
Thanks for confirming.

There are cheaper standard ones but that means going to the dealer for programming each time.
You can buy replacement TPMS sensors for as little as $128/set from Titan:
http://www.titantpms.com/tpms/nissan-leaf-tire-pressure-sensors
Any good tire shop should be able to install and register them to the car. No need to go to the dealer. I had a $160 set of their sensors in the track tires for my Porsche, installed by Discount Tire, and they worked fine. Is Nissan somehow more particular than Porsche about what TPMS sensors you use? I doubt it. AFAIK, they just have to broadcast the signal at the correct 315MHz frequency for the car.

TT

Back