Newbie intro and a question on Lizard battery

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inphoenix

Hello guys,

I am new to the forum and looking to lease or buy a Leaf soon. I posted a question on buying a 2013 SL/SV v/s. taking over a lease of 2014 S/QC here-> http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=20454. Please comment if you have an opinion about it.

Also, looking for information on Lizard batteries. Can someone tell me what's the benefit of these newer batteries specially in a hot place like Phoenix, AZ (Hey, it's 115 but it's a dry heat :)).

Can't tell you much on the lizard batteries yet as they are still fairly new. You can search for "lizard" on this forum and see some speculation.

Really wanted to jump in and recommend you seriously consider looking at new '15s right now in lieu of those other scenarios. I would guess you may have a very good chance of getting a brand new 15 (with lizard battery) for the same deal or even better than those others. Deals on new units are big right now. Consider a lease if you don't have enough tax liability to benefit from the federal credit. With a lease, they take the credit and reduce your cap cost.

Thanks. I am planning to reach out to the dealers to see if this Labor day will bring any special deals. Appreciate your input.

inphoenix said:
Also, looking for information on Lizard batteries. Can someone tell me what's the benefit of these newer batteries specially in a hot place like Phoenix, AZ (Hey, it's 115 but it's a dry heat :)).

The 2015 cars have a different battery chemistry that allegedly is more heat-tolerant than that used in earlier Leafs. I say "allegedly" because it's too early to say how effective this new chemistry is, and Nissan in the past has been found to be less-than-truthful about how robust the batteries will be in the heat. But an older Leaf, especially a pre-2013 model, will definitely lose capacity quickly in the heat unless the battery has been swapped out for the Lizard version (as has been done under warranty to some early Leafs).

See the other thread you linked to above for further info about the Lizard battery.

RonDawg said:
inphoenix said:
...But an older Leaf, especially a pre-2013 model, will definitely lose capacity quickly in the heat unless the battery has been swapped out for the Lizard version (as has been done under warranty to some early Leafs).
Our 2011 LEAF battery was replaced this June with a 2015 Lizard battery manufactured 5/15/15. We live in Palmdale, the western end of the Mojave Desert, and have been experiencing daytimes highs in the low 100s. Our battery's delivered capacity, per LeafDD, was 66.1414kWh and has not yet changed at all. The other stats have varied slightly up and down, but we focus on capacity. We charge daily at home (3.7kW) to 100%, whether driving 10 miles or 70 miles. Total mileage just passed 58,000.

HighDesertDriver said:
RonDawg said:
inphoenix said:
...But an older Leaf, especially a pre-2013 model, will definitely lose capacity quickly in the heat unless the battery has been swapped out for the Lizard version (as has been done under warranty to some early Leafs).
Our 2011 LEAF battery was replaced this June with a 2015 Lizard battery manufactured 5/15/15. We live in Palmdale, the western end of the Mojave Desert, and have been experiencing daytimes highs in the low 100s. Our battery's delivered capacity, per LeafDD, was 66.1414kWh and has not yet changed at all. The other stats have varied slightly up and down, but we focus on capacity. We charge daily at home (3.7kW) to 100%, whether driving 10 miles or 70 miles. Total mileage just passed 58,000.

66.1414kWh? :shock: I think you mean 66.1414Ah.

The only way I would consider a 2011-2014 Leaf in AZ would be if I had a VERY short commute, and I was willing to deal with diminishing battery capacity for years, until the capacity reached the level needed to get a free 2015 Lizard battery. If you can't deal with range anxiety from greatly reduced battery capacity, and can take advantage of the $7500 Federal Tax Credit, GET A 2015. As others have said, the 2015 chemistry is too new to know how it will stand up after years in AZ heat, but we are hopeful that it is much better, as Nissan has promised.

Back