iPhone (ios 8) USB Connectivity Problems with Leaf Stereo

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h3ath3rredleaf

Hi! This is my first post and I'm hoping I put it in the correct forum. I have a 2013 Leaf S Model that I purchased used about 7 months ago. The first few months of owning the car I was able to connect my iPhone 6 via the USB port and play music via pandora or spotify. After upgrading to ios 8, I am no longer able to play music through my phone and the car stereo. Whenever I try to connect my phone, the car stereo reads "no file" and I'm not able to get the stereo to recognize the phone. I've read about this issue on apple forums and that people have experienced it with many makes of cars, but I was wondering if there is a specific fix for the leaf that anyone has had success with? I've tried a few of the suggestions (restarting the phone and changing settings on my phone) and none of them have worked to be able to get the stereo to recognize my phone. I have tried switching out the lightning cable without any success (in fact my husband is still able to connect his iphone because he hasn't upgraded the ios on his iphone 6). Has anyone had success using a bluetooth adapter to resolve this?

Thanks!

Heather

Welcome to the forum. I have an iPhone 5 at work that I update whenever Apple sends a notification. They just sent a notification for an update that mentioned something about Apple music. You might want to try that update if you have not already done so. I have an SL so I cannot test the connectivity to the S radio. Good Luck.

Gerry

^^^
You talking about iOS 8.4.1 (http://www.macrumors.com/2015/08/13/ios-8-4-1-release/)?

I personally NEVER update my personal iPhone to the latest iOS release until it's been released to the public for at least week, even longer for major revisions (e.g. iOS 7.0, 8.0, etc.) I wait for at least a few days to see if there are any reports of major bugs/horror stories in the press. If I don't hear any, I update my iPad Retina Mini (I use this one least), then my iPad Air later then finally my iPhone 6 last, since that's my primary phone. I have no landline.

My personal phone is a BlackBerry so I use the office iPhone 5S as a test for updates before I update my personal iPad. If the iPhone crashes, it is not my problem and I have been instructed to perform all updates. I updated the 5S to 8.4.1 a few days ago and have not had any issues, but have not yet updated the iPad.

Gerry

Hi! Thank you for the welcome! :D

@cwerdna I am referring to all ios updates after 8. My phone hasn't connected to my car since I was on ios 7. (something). My husband has not updated his phone since and still runs ios 7 because he wants to be able to connect to the leaf radio. Apple has said they've fixed the bug and now I may need to update the firmware in the car, but that sounds possibly expensive and time consuming. I'm hoping somebody has a work around to connect the phone to the leaf s model stereo via usb or bluetooth adapter using any version of ios 8 (I am currently on ios 8.3 and have not updated to ios 8.4). I was surprised to not find any mention of it here in the nissan leaf forums. I can't be the only one with this problem can I? I've seen it mentioned in other forums and that people were able to get their iphone to work with their car's stereo without updating the car's firmware, but these were in other makes/models of cars and I'm hoping that someone knows a workaround for the leaf stereo specifically.

Thanks again for your help!

You can try running ios 9 beta 3 public. I use it in my 2014 Leaf with no issues.
https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/welcome

... and my ios 8.4.1 iphone 6 streams from Music without probs on my 2015 S (it's a bit finicky -- I mean, where's the play button on the car stereo??)

Does it work using Bluetooth?

I find that the car gets confused between playing my iPhone music over the USB vs using Bluetooth. It connects and disconnects and does nothing.
Try plugging into the cigarette lighter to charge it, and play the music using Bluetooth instead of USB.

Thank you everyone for your responses. @adriaanm The apple music suggestion did the trick! Now I just have to move my playlist from spotify to apple music and everything will be great again.

Unfortunately, the 2013 S model doesn't have bluetooth abilities for music, only phone calls.

Thanks again!

Heather

Back