OBD2 / Leaf Spy Newbie help

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrantD

So my OBD2 unit finally got here off the slow boat from China and I purchased the leaf spy app. It has started logging trips. My problem is I'm looking around and wondering how I use this to figure out the status of my battery and those types of issues.

What stats / screens should I look at or what numbers should I post that will help figure this out?

Thanks.

Do you have Leaf Spy Pro?

The 1st and last screens are the most info for the battery. 1st screen has mostly lifetime stats and the last screen is current for the charge.

on the first screen the on with the Blue lines those are the cells of your battery. the battery sts at the top is the only place for long term battery info. the AHr ( amp hour rating) is where you check capacity of your battery. you can look up the AHr # 42.17 to 43.25 is 4 bars down.. screen 4 gives remaining true KWH in the battery. this can be used for range figuring . hope this helps...

Here is a link giving ranges for the capacity bar losses on a 2011 / 2012:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=12789&start=570#p426466

Also lots of information in the battery replacement thread.
See:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=14102&start=450#p431453
where 2011 six capacity bar loss owner is discussing their experience and I give details on why LEAF Spy Pro is an essential tool on an older LEAF.

So the AHr says 57.04, SOH= 87% 395.0V
Hx = 85.57%

At bottome of screen says SOC = 96.8%
19.1kWh
247 GIDs.

Car was at 100% charge, but it was charged yesterday evening, and I pulled it into the garage last night and back out this morning before taking these stats. This is on a 2013 Leaf with 25k miles.

If you assume new was 66.25 Ahr, then you have lost 14% of battery capacity.

There was some variation on 2013 on what new battery showed.
Some started showing less than 66.25, even though their new range was similar to new 2011 / 2012.

14% capacity loss on a 2013 with 25,000 miles is not unusual.

Just 2 days later my ahr is now at 56.91, seems like it goes down rather quickly... Looks like we'll be losing first bar pretty soon now.

I was reading in the other threads linked to above, and if I am reading correctly the 2013 Leaf battery warranty is for battery to be at or above 9 bars at 60k miles?

You never said where you are located.

But as I pointed out in a recent post, in very hot above 90F weather and with heavy use of the LEAF, it might be possible for the LEAF to show a loss of 0.5 Ahr in one day.

All the LEAF capacity warranties are five years from in service, or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first; if you lose four capacity bars which is down to nominal 66.25% of original capacity, Nissan will replace the battery.

On 2011 and 2012 software change P3227 has to be done.

I am in Bellingham, WA. However the orginal owner of the vehicle was in California somewhere which likely explains it. We have been having a warmer than usual Summer however. After reading stories about all the people with 2013 Leafs with only a few % loss I have to say I'm not terribly happy but we are enjoying the car otherwise very much.

Interesting, I was reading in one of the other threads that to balance the batteries don't just charge to 100% every once in a while but when you do leave it plugged in for 4 hours. So last night I left it plugged in over night and now my stats are better than earlier in the thread:
ahr: 57.26
soh: 87%
Hx: 86.05
soc: 97.1%
19.2 kwh remaining when fully charged

Sorry, this could be a dumb question, but how can you not charge at 100%? If I am charging overnight everyday, can I set a timer to charge at only 80% for example?

busybe said:
Sorry, this could be a dumb question, but how can you not charge at 100%? If I am charging overnight everyday, can I set a timer to charge at only 80% for example?
Depends on the model year.
2011, 2012, and 2013 Yes.
2014 forward, No.

TimLee said:
busybe said:
Depends on the model year.
2011, 2012, and 2013 Yes.
2014 forward, No.

It is 2015 S model. So, unless I manually take out the charger, there is no way I can charge it at less than 100%?

busybe said:
It is 2015 S model. So, unless I manually take out the charger, there is no way I can charge it at less than 100%?
You will be manually unplugging the EVSE.
The charger is in the LEAF.

You can approximate getting 80% using timers (some EVSE have timers) or the LEAF timer(s).
Harder on S model due to limited timers.

My 2013 Leaf has a setting to charge to 80% and the manual recommends it. I've been charging to 100% on days when we anticipate a lot of driving and 80% on most days.

GrantD said:
My 2013 Leaf has a setting to charge to 80% and the manual recommends it. I've been charging to 100% on days when we anticipate a lot of driving and 80% on most days.

Can you please tell/explain where do you see this setting to charge to 80%. It is the charger that comes with Leaf (trickle charge)

TimLee said:
busybe said:
You will be manually unplugging the EVSE.
The charger is in the LEAF.

You can approximate getting 80% using timers (some EVSE have timers) or the LEAF timer(s).
Harder on S model due to limited timers.
Yes, my bad, i meant EVSE and not the charger itself :)

Mine is the charger that came with Leaf. I will have to check the manual to see if I can charge it to 80%

busybe said:
Can you please tell/explain where do you see this setting to charge to 80%. It is the EVSE that comes with Leaf (trickle charge, convenience limited emergency use
It does not have timers.
The italic is my revsion.

On 2014 forward getting 80% requires estimating duration needed to get there and using timer(s).

Back