Hello, new leaf owner here. Bay Area, CA

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

readysetgo

Just thought I'd say hi. Been eyeing a leaf for the past couple of weeks and finally purchased an excellent 2011 yesterday. I look fwd to learning a bunch of fun stuff on the forums!

PS...CARPOOL LANE ROCKS!!! :D

Hopefully your range expectations aren't set too unreasonably high and the Leaf didn't reside in a hot climate. How many miles on it? How many capacity bars lost?

readysetgo said:
PS...CARPOOL LANE ROCKS!!! :D
Yeah, it's almost a requirement in Silicon Valley. That's why I see ~4-5 LEAFs going through the intersection at each red light when I'm there.

Be sure and update your profile with your city and state so we can better help you on future questions. (The title of this thread gives your location away!)

Awesome will do! Range on this thing has been awesome. Full charge says 80+ but real driving says a little bit less, depending on how I drive it. My commute is 42mi round trip and I get a level 2 charger at work for free! So I can completely charge at work for free if I time my driving right.

In terms of used leafs, my main searches were grey ext, black interior and under $10k. Little did I know thats a 2013 color combo and '13s had a few upgrades that kept the price higher than $10k. The second time around I looked for, HOV sticker, quick charge port (lots more popping up), and no more than 40k miles. Ended up with a light blue '11 SL under $9k!!

cwerdna said:
Hopefully your range expectations aren't set too unreasonably high and the Leaf didn't reside in a hot climate. How many miles on it? How many capacity bars lost?

Seems like the origin was in socal, but later moved up here to the bay area. Not much if any degradation that I can tell. I haven't plugged in a leaf spy yet to check out the battery, but when fully charged it shows 12 bars at ~82 miles.

readysetgo said:
cwerdna said:

Seems like the origin was in socal, but later moved up here to the bay area. Not much if any degradation that I can tell. I haven't plugged in a leaf spy yet to check out the battery, but when fully charged it shows 12 bars at ~82 miles.
It's highly unlikely any So Cal based 2011 Leaf actually has all 12 capacity bars remaining, unless its battery was replaced.

Do you know the difference between the "fuel bars" and the capacity bars? http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/File:Scott_3_bars_s.jpg shows 3 capacity bars were lost (the thinnest ones on the right). That indicator has nothing to do w/how fully charged the battery is.

And the 82 miles is just the stupid GOM (guess-o-meter). It is worthless and useless for determining battery health/condition.

Your sig also mentions "solar roof". What solar roof? Leaf never had one. There is the near useless solar panel on the rear spoiler...

cwerdna said:
readysetgo said:
cwerdna said:

It's highly unlikely any So Cal based 2011 Leaf actually has all 12 capacity bars remaining, unless its battery was replaced.

Do you know the difference between the "fuel bars" and the capacity bars? http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/File:Scott_3_bars_s.jpg shows 3 capacity bars were lost (the thinnest ones on the right). That indicator has nothing to do w/how fully charged the battery is.

And the 82 miles is just the stupid GOM (guess-o-meter). It is worthless and useless for determining battery health/condition.

Your sig also mentions "solar roof". What solar roof? Leaf never had one. There is the near useless solar panel on the rear spoiler...

Ah good points Leaf Yoda! I have 11 capacity bars and you're right, its the near useless solar panel on the rear spoiler.

I'd have to pull up the carfox. Just briefly looking through the paperwork I thought I saw a socal city of origin. I'd say it probably spent a good amount of its life in the temperate bay area based on the capacity and milage. 39k miles. But, i could be wrong. I just know it drives great, gets me from point A to B and has no dents dings or imperfections and best of all no gas :).

I did have a doh moment this morning and didn't bypass the charge timer as I left my car (not) charging at work. DOH!!!!

ILETRIC said:
Then how did you get home?

I ended up charging in the afternoon on a level 2 charger and had 100% in a couple of hours. No biggie. We have about 10 level 2 chargers at work and in the mornings they get packed but afternoons are easier to get a spot.

Back