Same mileage from the first 50% to the last 50%?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pepperbird said:
Assuming same speed/style of driving, should I get the same distance from 50% to zero as I did from 100% to 50%?
Your km/kwh will remain the same, mileage no. If you are using the Nissan percent gauge as a measure of available kwh remaining , good luck : Its all over the board.(Search gom) Real watt hours remaining can be viewed with Leaf Spy ( which I highly recommend). You can then use the percent gauge as a supplemental source of information. I have found on my 13SL that I drove at least 15 km's further than what the gom and the percent gauge last reported before they fizzled out (---) about 7% IIRC before turtle. BTW congrats on your Leaf.

Thanks ElectricEddy!

Since you're in my area, you'll understand the geography... I left work tonight in Victoria at 98% and got home to Duncan at 50% (heavy traffic and I didn't exactly watch my speed on the 'Hat). I want to go back in the morning without charging tonight. The southbound trip takes a bit less juice than the northbound trip.

I need to prove to myself that I can do the return trip on a single charge (at least in warm weather) otherwise I've made a mistake and I should sell it while I can without taking a loss. But maybe this isn't the night to try it out, and I should aim for a time when I've got 55%.

I bought a dohickey to connect to Leaf Spy, but my phone can't connect to it. I suspect its a dud. Maybe a trip to Nanaimo and you can read my car's tea leaves for me?

If your phone is connecting to the NAV system, it can be difficult to get it to connect to the OBD device. Try using an android tablet, or another phone, for Leaf Spy. Also, you need a version 1.5 OBD device as the version 2.1 units won't work.

Pepperbird said:
Thanks ElectricEddy!

Since you're in my area, you'll understand the geography... I left work tonight in Victoria at 98% and got home to Duncan at 50% (heavy traffic and I didn't exactly watch my speed on the 'Hat). I want to go back in the morning without charging tonight. The southbound trip takes a bit less juice than the northbound trip.

I need to prove to myself that I can do the return trip on a single charge (at least in warm weather) otherwise I've made a mistake and I should sell it while I can without taking a loss. But maybe this isn't the night to try it out, and I should aim for a time when I've got 55%.

I bought a dohickey to connect to Leaf Spy, but my phone can't connect to it. I suspect its a dud. Maybe a trip to Nanaimo and you can read my car's tea leaves for me?
Return Duncan to Vic is asking a lot even with a new battery at full capacity ( careful driving in summer, highly doubt it in winter). You need to find a local L2 close to work in Vic. To be honest with you I get about 70km in the January (with heat) before I get a little apprehensive, but my readings right now are about 58.4 ah. No problem on the Leaf spy reading, it would be nice to see on a new Leaf. PM me and meeting can be arranged. Link to known working obd reader c/w on/off switch, have a link for an extension cable as well, but you will have to turn your obd port 180 degrees. I can also show you my manual charge port opener mod, handy if your 12v gets too low.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Mini-Vgate-ELM327-Bluetooth-ODB2-II-Car-Auto-Diagnostics-Scanner-w-Power-Switch-/111329509215?tfrom=111324079170&tpos=top&ttype=price&talgo=undefined" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ElectricEddy: I chickened out and charged up last night. But I'm sitting here at work with 56% and I'm going to attempt the return trip. I'll keep an eye on things and can spend 15 min on a level 2 in Mill Bay if I need to. I know the return trip can be done (in good weather), there are others in Duncan who do it from time to time. There are chargers near my office, I just didn't want to HAVE to charge daily. And I've just got a new-to-me 2013 SV, not brand new.

I tried to connect with my HB's android and it too would not connect. Will have to get another.

ElectricEddy said:
Pepperbird said:
Assuming same speed/style of driving, should I get the same distance from 50% to zero as I did from 100% to 50%?
Your km/kwh will remain the same, mileage no.
True, there's more capacity in the bottom 50% than in the top 50%. I think this effect grows over time as the battery degrades and a fixed capacity is held in reserve below LBW. Moreover I'd expect your km/kWh would be significantly higher in the bottom 50% than in the top 50%. I see that in San Diego due to all the hills. Regeneration, especially to a degraded battery, is severely limited in the top 50% so I spend energy to go up the hill and recover little of it going down the other side. In the bottom 50% - especially in the bottom 20% - regeneration is much higher and my efficiency soars. I haven't visited Victoria yet (a shame) but I've read that it's hilly so I expect you'd also see the same effect there.

Probably not the same from 100% to 50% because at the top end you no or less regen, by 80% (temp and age dependent) you get full regen. At the bottom end some say there is more capacity below LBW and VLBW, but I have been down there less than 10 times so that is hard to know. What I experience is that when you get down to 30% and 25% and 20% you start to drive even more efficiently so you eack out more miles per KW.

Back