Potential BMS reset? How to use LeafSpy to figure out?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SolarTN

I just started diving into the Leaf info world a few days ago and while I have learned a lot, I feel there's a lot I still don't know. Hopefully some of you out there can lend some perspective on this issue:

I looked at a used 2013 Leaf S today from with ~25,000 miles and the battery health from LeafSpy was so good I got suspicious (I have seen threads about BMS resets by dealers).

AHr = 65.67
SOH = 100%
392.30 V
Hx = 100.49%
274 GIDs @ 94% SOC
3 QC
823 L1/L2s

The Vehicle has been a lease and has been serviced in central KY, so I'm assuming that's where it has spent its time (ie can get hot most of the year)

I would expect at least 10% degradation in SOH from what I've been reading in the forums these past few days on a car with this age and mileage.
However, I've also seen a couple one owner Leaf report LeafSpy numbers very similar (100% SOH and Hx) with 2013 and between 20,000-25,000 miles. Most of those have been in cooler climates, though.

In some of the threads about BMS resets there seem to be conflicting information about what characteristics are fooled in LeafSpy after a BMS reset? Are AHr, SOH, Hx, and GIDs all fooled? One post said Hx would regain almost immediately on a test drive. Another said that GIDs shouldn't be affected. Can anyone shed some light?

With just a BMS reset AHr and Gids shouldn't change. Can't say about the rest.

The same won't hold true if the software update P3227 is applied at the same time. But I don't believe that update is applicable to model years beyond 2011 and 2012.

SolarTN said:
I looked at a used 2013 Leaf S today from with ~25,000 miles and the battery health from LeafSpy was so good I got suspicious (I have seen threads about BMS resets by dealers).

AHr = 65.67
SOH = 100%
392.30 V
Hx = 100.49%
274 GIDs @ 94% SOC
3 QC
823 L1/L2s

A few on this forum report numbers like the above. My 2013 now has 56 Ahr with 22K, which is more
in the center of the Leaf's battery distribution. At about 66 Ahr with 25K, that Leaf is in the upper tail
of the Leaf Ahr distribution based on the majority of data reported on this forum. Sounds like you've
found an exceptional Leaf battery.

This is exactly what I have feared, my numbers are suspiciously good. I hope the more experienced LeafSpy users or developers can chip in on this matter.

I'll admit that numbers in the mid-60s do look a bit good to be true, but there is much we don't know about how the 2013 and up packs will behave in all climactic locations. We assume better than the 2011 and 2012 packs, and we didn't start seeing warning signs for those until the Spring of 2012, so far as AZ LEAFs were concerned and, IIRC, LEAFs in slightly more moderate climates (like mine) took a whole year beyond that. Packs in very cool climates, we've barely seen degradation at all. Plus we didn't start to get Gid measuring devices until fall of 2011, so very few of the early capacity loss casualties were studied from delivery to the first indications of a problem.

So it maybe that we won't start seeing issues with 2013 packs until more time goes by. It could also be that Nissan more or less conquered the issues they were having with heat related capacity losses with the electrolyte changes made for the 2013 packs. Again, we just don't know yet. And without knowing the prior lives of the vehicles involved, it's also really hard to hazard a guess.

SolarTN said:
I just started diving into the Leaf info world a few days ago and while I have learned a lot, I feel there's a lot I still don't know. Hopefully some of you out there can lend some perspective on this issue:

AHr = 65.67
SOH = 100%
392.30 V
Hx = 100.49%
274 GIDs @ 94% SOC
3 QC
823 L1/L2s

The Vehicle has been a lease and has been serviced in central KY, so I'm assuming that's where it has spent its time (ie can get hot most of the year)

I would expect at least 10% degradation in SOH from what I've been reading in the forums these past few days on a car with this age and mileage.
However, I've also seen a couple one owner Leaf report LeafSpy numbers very similar (100% SOH and Hx) with 2013 and between 20,000-25,000 miles. Most of those have been in cooler climates, though.

In some of the threads about BMS resets there seem to be conflicting information about what characteristics are fooled in LeafSpy after a BMS reset? Are AHr, SOH, Hx, and GIDs all fooled? One post said Hx would regain almost immediately on a test drive. Another said that GIDs shouldn't be affected. Can anyone shed some light?

This is not to say reset wasn't done, but here is my numbers as a point of reference (2013 Leaf SV, built 9/13).

283 gids, 100.9 health, 65.88 AHr, 99.43 capacity.

I have never left the car at 100% charge for long period of time, but did charge to 100% 1/3 of the time. Always stored for longer periods of time at 40-50%. It was exposed to Maryland weather during day and garaged at night, but never direct baked sunlight. And Maryland does have periods of heat.

Since 66AHr is what a 2013 Leaf's full battery suppose to have, what's the highest amount of AHr reported by an owner here?

Back