Seeking Advice on a purchase

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khaihon

I am interested in purchasing a 2014 Leaf from a dealership it only has 27 miles on it, but I'm not sure if it qualifies for the $7500 federal tax credit/CA state rebate $2500, which would greatly affect my buying decision. I know some dealers will attempt to pocket the rebate and/or tax credit. Is there any way for me to find out? Even though it only has 27 miles, it is listed as used but the dealership description says "NISSAN CORPORATE VEHICLE NEVER BEEN REGISTERED YOU WILL BE THE FIRST OWNER !!!". Does that make a difference? The carfax report show this:

05/04/2015 17 Auto Auction Pacific Region Listed as a manufacturer vehicle Sold at auction
and
05/12/2015 Nissan of Chesapeake Chesapeake, VA 757-436-4900 nissanofchesapeake.com Vehicle sold

Red flags?

Ask to see the Manufacturer Certificate of Origin. That is the document provided by the manufacturer which is used to obtain the first title. If the MCO is not available, it was probably titled somewhere. If the MCO is available, check to make sure all of the information on it matches the car. If you decide to buy, get a copy of the MCO for your records in case you need to prove that you are the first owner to qualify for the credits.

Also, be aware that there is probably some degradation of the traction battery from sitting around for over a year. Amount of degradation depends upon charge level and ambient temperature during storage (full charge and high temperatures are bad for long-term storage).

Gerry

Although, I keep seeing reviews stating that the car is 0-60 in 9-10 seconds. I have timed the acceleration 0 to 60 in my 2013 SL and in my 2015 S I have timed it at 7.5 seconds each. This is in B mode and Eco off. I can read 95 MPH or electronically limited MPH in 13 seconds. So this car is not slow by any means were talking V6 3.0 territory. Also with the NISMO tune the car can accelerate to 0-60 at 6-6.5 range. I am not sure of the top speed limitation, but the car can easily do over 130 MPH of course that sucks down the power like a vacuum.

However, I do drive to work and back on the freeway 70 miles traveling at speeds from 70-90 MPH AC stereo full, I make it to work with 70 Miles left. I make it back home with 15-20 miles left and that includes a stop at the grocery store.

I find the car very nice and I love people in ICE cars trying to keep up burning fuel like its going out of style. What I think is funny is the fact that people seem to think that I pay the same for electricity and driving as they pay for gas in their cars. I had another moron convinced that his 5.4 liter Ford SUV got better gas mileage and he paid less than my Leaf. These people are convinced that electricity is so much more money to charge the car than gas. I just look at them like you are daft!

I pay $1.75 to fully charge my car from almost dead and can drive 80-90 miles at higher than normal speeds. No maintenance at all.

Take a ICE car that gets about 20MPH on 60 mile trip cost about $7.50 a day in gas at $2.50 per gallon about $150. Then you have to add to this oil and other maintenance items.

Cost me about $20 a month to drive back and forth have not had to do anything other than add air to my tires in almost 3 years. Won't even need to change the tire before the lease it up and I get another one. LOL!

Compdoc777 said:
Although, I keep seeing reviews stating that the car is 0-60 in 9-10 seconds. I have timed the acceleration 0 to 60 in my 2013 SL and in my 2015 S I have timed it at 7.5 seconds each. This is in B mode and Eco off. I can read 95 MPH or electronically limited MPH in 13 seconds. So this car is not slow by any means were talking V6 3.0 territory. Also with the NISMO tune the car can accelerate to 0-60 at 6-6.5 range. I am not sure of the top speed limitation, but the car can easily do over 130 MPH of course that sucks down the power like a vacuum.

However, I do drive to work and back on the freeway 70 miles traveling at speeds from 70-90 MPH AC stereo full, I make it to work with 70 Miles left. I make it back home with 15-20 miles left and that includes a stop at the grocery store.

I find the car very nice and I love people in ICE cars trying to keep up burning fuel like its going out of style. What I think is funny is the fact that people seem to think that I pay the same for electricity and driving as they pay for gas in their cars. I had another moron convinced that his 5.4 liter Ford SUV got better gas mileage and he paid less than my Leaf. These people are convinced that electricity is so much more money to charge the car than gas. I just look at them like you are daft!

I pay $1.75 to fully charge my car from almost dead and can drive 80-90 miles at higher than normal speeds. No maintenance at all.

Take a ICE car that gets about 20MPH on 60 mile trip cost about $7.50 a day in gas at $2.50 per gallon about $150. Then you have to add to this oil and other maintenance items.

Cost me about $20 a month to drive back and forth have not had to do anything other than add air to my tires in almost 3 years. Won't even need to change the tire before the lease it up and I get another one. LOL!

There is no way a stock LEAF will do the times you quote, not even close. I'm not sure how you are measuring your times but unless it's down hill it's not possible. The LEAF is pretty slow, period and the later LEAFs have an even slower 0-60.

As a side note, some people pay as much as $.45 or more per KWH making a full charge about $9.50 and not exactly less than gas so there are exceptions depending on the ICE comparison.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=16736" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This has been discussed in great detail elsewhere here but the bottom line is that your timing methodology is off... High 9 seconds is the actual and well documented 0 to 60 time.

Compdoc777 said:
Although, I keep seeing reviews stating that the car is 0-60 in 9-10 seconds. I have timed the acceleration 0 to 60 in my 2013 SL and in my 2015 S I have timed it at 7.5 seconds each.

Compdoc777 said:
I have timed it at 7.5 seconds each.

My Ford P71 with a 4.6L V8 and 3.55 rear (which many people assume is quick but isn't) does 0-60 MPH in about 8.4 seconds. The Volt does it in about 8.8 seconds. The LEAF is in no way quicker to 60 MPH than the Crown Vic or the Volt. I timed my LEAF at around 9.4 seconds.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rznY8T4jjcM[/youtube]

0-60 MPH in 7.5 seconds isn't possible in an Oppama LEAF (2011-2012) and isn't possible in a less powerful Smyrna LEAF (2013+) either. I doubt it's even possible going downhill.

The 7 second claim originates from a pre-production LEAF back in 2010 when media was reviewing the car. Back then, it was pretty quick.

EVDRIVER said:
... The LEAF is pretty slow, period and the later LEAFs have an even slower 0-60. ...

That's a matter of perspective. In the 1970's, the average 0-60 time was something like 13 seconds, iirc, and the LEAF would have compared favorably to some "sports cars" of the time. And where it matters most in real-world traffic, the LEAF's acceleration to 30-40 mph is pretty good even compared against contemporary cars.

I don't think you cared about how fast the car goes...so to get back to your original question.
As long as you can verify/prove the car has not been "sold/titled" by another individual, you should be OK. The reality is when you go to claim the (federal) tax rebate, all you do is enter the VIN# of your car. As long as it's a valid VIN, I'm not even sure if/how they verify it's a new car.

Back