Trying to find the right one, picked up a used 2011 SL

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

co2112

I've had a tough time finding a decent price in Sacramento, CA. Prices ranged $1,000-$3,000 above prices in the bay area or san Joaquin valley. Problem was the distance in getting it home in a single charge or finding low miles and the right color.

I went to Momentum Nissan and got pretty terrible service on another 2011 advertised at $9,500 and quoted $9,250 to get me in the door. The car was in terrible shape as far as car being advertised from a Nissan dealer. It appeared to be in a rearend accident and had several misaligned edges to trim and doors, had scratches, and dent along the rear hatch, as if the rear hatch was wedged into the right upper rear of the car. It also had the imprint of the license plate from the person who hit it. Mismatching headlights and a pool of water in the rear taillight that was cracked on the upper mount. Also had a dent in the passenger front right pillar and mismatched paint throughout. I have never seen a vehicle this abused sitting for sale in a dealership. I asked about the visible damage and was told it had a clean carfax and it was priced the way it was due to the current state. Needless to say after getting the clean carfax line and seeing the imprint of the offenders license plate I left fairly quickly.

With this being my first jump into an all-electric car I was worried about the battery life due to the car being rear-ended and wouldn't want to work with a dealer that would clearly overlook the visible flaws in favor of price.

I found another 2011 similarly equipped SL model (backup camera, nav, QC, tinted) in Auburn, about 20+ miles north of Sacramento, for $9,900. It has 25,000 miles and new car smell. The car was very clean with even paint, everything tested ok except it needed a new set of tires. Probably would have been fine for Summer but replacement before Winter. I was able to get it for $9,600 with the new tires included. So far so good was able to test the cars limits on the way back to Sacramento when I passed group of trucks when accelerating from 65 to 88 in a blink. It didn’t appear as if I was going that fast but it was surprising to see. Dropped it back down and headed to Sacramento Nissan to test the quick charger. Was able to charge the battery to 90% in a half hour. The car has 11 bars when I pulled it off the charger this morning showing 100% and 88 miles of range but that went to 77 once started and only read 76 after my 7 mile commute. I hope to be able to charge using just the trickle charger and the occasional paid charger.

We used to own an Altima Hybrid and loved the quietness, reliability, and instant torque. My wife finally took the Leaf for a spin and ended up driving 25 miles just because she didn't want to get out. She is happy with the purchase and making the jump to all electric. We are a family of six and have a mini van but the Leaf will be our errands, grocery car when not all of us have to go. I love it because of the silent ride being able to listen to the music and not the car and music. Its a normal car in drive and features and it just uses a different fuel source.

I called my local power company and they offer an EV plan which lowers my home rates for peak and off peak charges but they now have a super peak rate for Summer. It will average slightly less that what I pay now and I encourage any new owners or those on the fence to check if your power company will offer any rate decrease if you go electric.

Happy with the car and think I got a good deal after having sticker shock from the dealers around town.

From what you share, I'd say you are in good shape. The TOU deal may cost more than it is worth so evaluate that too. Continued good luck.

co2112 said:
I asked about the visible damage and was told it had a clean carfax and it was priced the way it was due to the current state. Needless to say after getting the clean carfax line and seeing the imprint of the offenders license plate I left fairly quickly.
To be honest, I think that CarFax has become a scam. The dealers and CarFax themselves talk about it as the be-all-end-all of car history, when it's obviously not. My previous car had a clean CarFax as well, and I got rear-ended. The damage was small enough that it didn't need to be reported, and I had no real desire to bother repairing the bumper for a low-speed collision.
It's insane that a dealer thinks he can just say "clean CarFax!" and expect the customer to say "awesome, then the damage I'm seeing with my own two eyes doesn't exist." They might indeed believe that their LEAF is appropriately priced, and that's fine -- the market will decide that over time. Leaving a broken light cover on a dealer car for sale is just sloppy and lazy.

When I went to buy a LEAF, I drove about 40 miles to a dealer offering a "Certified Pre-Owned" and I told them I was interested in looking at it and to charge it up because I live 40 miles from there, and I'm going to need it to be at least 80% charged to drive it home on the expressways (this was in early March in Chicago, so not super warm typically... although that day was unseasonably decent, as it turned out). I show up to find just 8 miles on the GOM, and no SD card or L1 EVSE, and their CHAdeMO charger is broken. After talking them down on the price and them slapping it on their only working charger right away, as we were signing the paperwork, they tell me that the price doesn't include the CPO certification now. I walked out and went to a private dealer for my LEAF, for the same price as the Nissan dealer with the EVSE and SD card intact. What's funny to me is that the Nissan dealer has since raised the price on that LEAF $200. I'm hoping for their sake that they at least got the SD card sorted out...

Oh, and maybe learn to use "leaf spy". Do a quick search here if you are not familiar with ... Very useful for monitoring usage, on a longer drive, or to keep an eye on the real state of battery capacity and useful charge, available energy, etc. I happily upgraded to the pro version... See actual tire pressures, get a real world range estimation using your projected usage, etc. Great if you want to take a longer drive and be confident of your charge and strategy...

Ordered a bluetooth obd dongle and downloaded leaf spy. Nissan finally added me to car wings. I have been charging when I hit 20 miles remaining but can go 3-4 days to work without issue. So far its a normal car. Amazing.

Hello,
This is my first post to the MyNissanLeaf forums.
I am searching for a Leaf like co2112 got. Sometimes I see a 2011 with 9,054 or 32,643 miles. Based on my history these are both low mileage vehicles. I drove an '86 Nissan 200SX to 287,000 years ago.
But, there are things that I don't know about the battery health (I'm in eastern PA, so often these still have 12 bars left). Is it better to drive a moderate amount (10K/year) or a very low 3K/year?
I suspect the reality of the situation depends on the state of charge during non-use, which I expect is not part of the vehicle's history one would ever be able to know.

So, what do you think is the ideal amount of usage and what are the down sides of a vehicle that has been driven more or less?

Thanks!

Ben aka 000MPG or MORE_MPG on the TDIClub forums.

000MPG said:
...Is it better to drive a moderate amount (10K/year) or a very low 3K/year?
I suspect the reality of the situation depends on the state of charge during non-use, which I expect is not part of the vehicle's history one would ever be able to know....
Yes, you've got it. The state of charge (SOC), duration, and temperature. Unfortunately, temperature is more important, probably calendar time next, and average SOC last. So unfortunately, comparing the odometer miles between used vehicles doesn't really provide the information that you want (e.g., how much longer will the battery last for your use). Ultimately, you either want a car with a brand new battery or one that spent the past 3-yrs at 20% SOC and 35-40 F that cost you very little. Good luck with that, other than figuring out where the car resided, you haven't got a chance.

Also, we are seeing reduced regenerative braking as the batteries age, probably due to increased internal resistance in the battery. I'm a low mileage driver (~7000 mi/yr) and had hoped to drive my 2011 Leaf for 20+ years on the original battery. Unfortunately, Nissan over-marketed and under-engineered for their 2010-2011 release. Now, I'm wondering if I will be able to make my 10 mi RT grocery run in the winter of 2031. In any case, I'm not buying a new battery until absolutely necessary (but I will take a new one for free if they so offer), and probably not at all.

So, users who drive lots will benefit the most from battery EVs. They save the most gas, cycle the battery the quickest (reducing calendar losses to a minimum), and replace the battery/car in a shorter period of time. Us low mileage drivers are "stuck" with decade-old technology, degraded batteries, and worn pseudo-carpet. Fortunately, for those buying used now at least the prices have dropped to crazy low prices. So, if you can handle 30-60 mi ranges now (winter-summer) and 20-40 mi ranges in the future, go for it. Otherwise, lease a new vehicle and get the benefits of longer range and new technology. Oh, I just wish I had these choices four years ago. :cry:

Thanks for the thorough reply Reddy!
There is a YouTube video of a happy Leaf owner getting a new battery from Nissan. I'll hope that's you before the warranty is up.
My commute is ~50 miles RT. So, I want one with reasonable range that will hold up long enough for my employer to get their head out of the past. So far I've asked about access to 120VAC and got an explicit "No".
I'm really falling for the idea of a cheap Leaf. I almost had a chance at an $8,000 100% PA Leaf.

I'm gathering from your reply that LeafSpy won't show charge history dwell time and SOC. All of the sensors are there, maybe it's buried in there somewhere for someone to find someday.

Ben

Reddy said:
Now, I'm wondering if I will be able to make my 10 mi RT grocery run in the winter of 2031. In any case, I'm not buying a new battery until absolutely necessary (but I will take a new one for free if they so offer), and probably not at all.
On the plus side, I think it's pretty likely that the batteries will be reasonably inexpensive 5 or so years from now. (At least, that's what I'm banking on with my used LEAF, which I think will have enough range for me for around another 4-5 years...)

000MPG said:
..There is a YouTube video of a happy Leaf owner getting a new battery from Nissan. I'll hope that's you before the warranty is up...
Nope, sorry. I'm such a low mileage driver that I'll miss the warranty by a bar or two. Plus, I opted out anyway so that I still retain my rights to sue if needed.

I show up to find just 8 miles on the GOM, and no SD card or L1 EVSE, and their CHAdeMO charger is broken. After talking them down on the price...

I just wanted to emphasize that a missing SD card is a Very Large Hassle to remedy and should be a deal breaker for anything above a salvage price transaction.

So my leaf ownership is getting better and better. It appears my wholesaler bought this from Nissan corporate and claims it is still eligible for both Federal and State credits. I am the first registered owner and the car was never titled. Is this correct?

Its a 2011 and the address in carwings was the Nissan Headquarters in Texas. It hasn't had plates issued for it and it appears I am the first titled and registered owner. It had 24k miles on it when I bought it but how does that work with a corporate car I thought when I spoke to him originally it was a lease return but he said no.

Anybody have any information on this? I'd really like to find out if I can claim both the CA and Federal rebates.

co2112 said:
So my leaf ownership is getting better and better. It appears my wholesaler bought this from Nissan corporate and claims it is still eligible for both Federal and State credits. I am the first registered owner and the car was never titled. Is this correct?

You need the manufacturer's Certificate of Origin as proof. I would not have faith in what the dealer says unless they're willing to provide a copy of it or let you see it.

BTW, the Nissan HQ in is TN, not TX.

mwalsh said:
You need the manufacturer's Certificate of Origin as proof. Unless they're willing to provide a copy or it or let you see it.
BTW, the Nissan HQ in is TN, not TX.

Would the Certificate of Origin be provided to my loan issuer or the state DMV?

I'm going to continue on this thread as it is basically about considerations for buying a used Leaf. Let me know if this should be a new thread instead.

So, a 2013 came up within a couple of charges from my house. It is cheap, but not without at least an issue. Please take a look and let me know what you think.

Cars.com, Used Car Dealer, CarFAX.

I like the 2013 benefits of:
6.6Kw charger (will it have DC QuickCharging for sure if it has 6.6Kw?),
Heatpump
possibly better battery (up for debate I assume),
Heated rear seat option.

I don't like the idea of a second silver car, not a huge deal. I sort of prefer the pristine look of the light grey interior of the 2011-2012's, but I have 2 young kids so that would be short lived.

I would like to have a backup camera, but I have read that is a 3 part swap (2 wiring harnesses and the camera lift gate handle, so no big deal.

What's with the blue center console? It is a reasonable match, is that from the factory?

Plenty to discuss on this one!

I have sent a message to my credit union. They may refuse to finance it. Also, I will call Nissan to try to confirm the completeness of the resolution of the issue.

Thanks,in advance, for the feedback!

Ben

I would like to have a backup camera, but I have read that is a 3 part swap (2 wiring harnesses and the camera lift gate handle, so no big deal.

If you mean that you think this car doesn't have one, it does. In fact, it should have the four camera Around View system, since it has the Bose/XM system. However, make sure that it has the SD card for the Nav system.

Hi LeftieBiker,
I like the thought, that surround view deal is neat. But, I don't think that this one has Bose, so I doubt that it has those cameras. The reason that I think that it doesn't - no subwoofer in the "boot".
used-2013-nissan-leaf-4drhatchbacksv-8709-13799368-33-640.jpg

I don't have a need for the surround view, as neat as it is. The back-up camera is more important to me. Though, I don't mind installing the parts.

Anyway, anymore thoughts?

Thanks,

Ben

Back