New Kid on the Block

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmanthony

So last week, our oldest daughter's car pooped out on her. Cost for repairs was greater than what her car was worth, so out we went looking for a new car for her. She negotiated a nice deal on a new Prius and she's happy as a clam.

Our backup car is (was) a little Mini Cooper, but my wife and I are getting long of tooth and the ride was a little too sporty for us, so we both got to thinking about a replacement. We test drove a bunch of cars (Prius, Volt, i3, a gaggle of Leafs, etc.) and finally selected a 2013 with about 18K on the clock. It's being certified and detailed and we'll pick it up tomorrow.

We opted for an extended warranty at about $1,200, but now I'm having second thoughts on that. I saw in the Consumer Reports scoring of this car that they had concerns about electrical issues and flagged it for high likelihood. I'd be interested in your collective wisdom on the extended warranty as we can back out of it tomorrow when we pick up the vehicle without a hassle.

I'm also doing research on EVSEs and appreciate all of the information on this forum. We have no garage, so the Leaf will be parked in the drive way and the equipment exposed to the weather, so I need to make sure I've got a well built station. One of the units from Clipper Creek is what I'm leaning toward, but if there is another we should consider, I'd be interested in that input as well.

My wife and I are both retired. We live in Seattle and hope to bump into other forum members in the future. We also ride motorcycles in our spare time. I help moderate a forum for Honda touring motorcycles and appreciate the work your admin/mods do to keep this place up and running.

John Anthony

jmanthony said:
I saw in the Consumer Reports scoring of this car that they had concerns about electrical issues and flagged it for high likelihood.
Hmmm..
Haven't read about any large quantity of electrical issues with the Leaf..
Yes, the battery degrades over time, and moreso in hot climates...
But as long as your driving is within it's range, that shouldn't be an issue.

There is an issue with the 12v battery not getting charged the way it should and some people have to replace that earlier than you would think (some on here use a 12v battery conditioner; others don't. I think if you use your Leaf a lot, it might not be as much of an issue... )..

But other than that, I haven't read about too many "electrical problems" so not sure what they are referring to....

jmanthony said:
One of the units from Clipper Creek is what I'm leaning toward, but if there is another we should consider, I'd be interested in that input as well.
I don't own one, but the ClipperCreek units get rave reviews by members here...

jmanthony said:
We live in Seattle
OH! Much better news there.. EVs (the Leaf in particular without an active TMS) love the Pacific Northwest and we've got the West Coast Electric Highway.

Did you get a Leaf with the quick charge port? Not required depending on your driving habits, but a nice option..

Congrats.. I think you'll be happy with your Leaf. The PNW likes em.. ;-)

desiv

Just a quick update. So the original deal we had on the '13 went south on us, but as luck would have it, we found a super clean white '13 with only 7.4K on the clock at virtually the same price, just a different outfit. The first dealership had some credibility issues (we don't have an SD card for the car we just sold you, we're not sure one was ordered for it, so we have no idea when you can pick it up) that soured both my wife and me. But as they say, as one door closes, another opens.

John

Congrats on the new car.i just got a 2013 sv about a month ago great car.I also will be parking outside.I went with the clipper creek nice little unit with 3 year warranty. Works great rugged designed install was a breeze .so my 3 weeks of use say dan

jmanthony said:
Just a quick update. So the original deal we had on the '13 went south on us, but as luck would have it, we found a super clean white '13 with only 7.4K on the clock at virtually the same price, just a different outfit. The first dealership had some credibility issues (we don't have an SD card for the car we just sold you, we're not sure one was ordered for it, so we have no idea when you can pick it up) that soured both my wife and me. But as they say, as one door closes, another opens.

John
You're not alone on the SD card issue. I was soured on one LEAF I was interested in for the same reason. Glad you got a decent one without the hassles of SD card replacement!

ishiyakazuo said:
jmanthony said:

John
You're not alone on the SD card issue. I was soured on one LEAF I was interested in for the same reason. Glad you got a decent one without the hassles of SD card replacement!

What's a SD card and do I have one on my 2012 ?

desiv said:
Sondy132001 said:
What's a SD card and do I have one on my 2012 ?
If you have a NAV system and your maps are working, you have an SD card.
It's right next to the CD player when you open it up..
It's not just the maps -- the entire head unit stops working without it. No Bluetooth, no radio, no climate control... I have no idea what these dealers are thinking trying to sell cars that are that crippled. Some are even marked as Certified Pre-Owned!

Hello everybody from the most blessed country in the world!

SCOTLAND

A small village,to be exact,

LESMAHAGOW

Time here is 16:00 on Saturday 20th June.Tomorrow is the Summer Solstice so pretty light for 24 hours at present which is good news for the solar panel on my brand new

NISSAN LEAF TEKNA FLEX

First time driving one and first 12 miles

FANTASTIC

All the bells & whistles +

very,very small FUEL BILLS

Here PETROL (Gas) costs £1.17 a Litre which is roughly £5.20 a Gallon.

So hello to all my fellow "sensible guys & galls" MORE HOLIDAYS IN THE FUTURE.

From
JOHN

Time here is 16:00 on Saturday 20th June.Tomorrow is the Summer Solstice so pretty light for 24 hours at present which is good news for the solar panel on my brand new

NISSAN LEAF TEKNA FLEX

Hey, it looks like 'Mac' might actually be able to keep his accessory battery charged with the solar panel. For the next week or two, anyway. ;-) Welcome.

mac3536 said:
Here PETROL (Gas) costs £1.17 a Litre which is roughly £5.20 a Gallon.

Remember that US gallons are smaller (3.8 litres) than Imperial, so at current exchange rates it's about US $7.07 per US gallon. When I was in Europe about 3 years ago the most I paid was EUR 1.88/litre which at the time was US $9.25 per US gallon :eek:

Welcome to the Leaf club.

Back